"Public Enemy" audio

Rudy81

Just finished watching "Public Enemy" in Blu Ray. This movie has the worst center channel audio I have heard in a long time. Dialog was at times very difficult to understand, varying volume levels in dialog in some scenes etc. Too bad, most of the story is in the dialog of the main characters.

Anyone else have this experience? Mine was a Netflix rental.

I had the exact experience two days ago with Public Enemy. It was a DVD from Netflix. I kept having to back up the movie and turn up the volume to hear dialogue. Then when gunfire blazed, it was extremely loud, more so than other movies. Very annoying.

Exactly! In our HT the gun fire blew us out of the room since we had turned it up to barely get the audio. Then BOOM! That movie has the worst mixing I have seen in a long time. I didn't even thin of subtitles....but really!

I really enjoyed the Movie. I could understand what the actors where saying. It really upset me that the Volume, in the dramatic
scenes was so Different.............Up then down............

Overall a good Movie. I was Pleased with the Statement "So you Robbed the Greencastle Bank for 74,800 bucks".........(My home Town)!

Ambient effects may not have been as distinct as I would have liked,
but the track still enjoys a good deal of surround presence, and front
channel separation is flat-out superb, especially during the various
period songs that play intermittently throughout 'Public Enemies.' The
music of Otis Taylor, Billie Holiday, and Gene Autry enjoys excellent
fidelity and depth of tone, and beautifully fills the soundscape, as
does Elliot Goldenthal's score. For the most part, dialogue is clear
and comprehendible, but conversation levels should have been punched up
a notch. Depp and Bale mumble quite a bit, and it's occasionally
difficult to make out what they're saying, and tinkering too much with
the volume can be a dicey proposition when you're not quite sure when
the next gun blast will hit.
That's a minor quibble, though, and only
detracts a tad from this superior aural effort.

From BD review here

Ambient effects may not have been as distinct as I would have liked, but the track still enjoys a good deal of surround presence, and front channel separation is flat-out superb, especially during the various period songs that play intermittently throughout 'Public Enemies.' The music of Otis Taylor, Billie Holiday, and Gene Autry enjoys excellent fidelity and depth of tone, and beautifully fills the soundscape, as does Elliot Goldenthal's score. For the most part, dialogue is clear and comprehendible, but conversation levels should have been punched up a notch. Depp and Bale mumble quite a bit, and it's occasionally difficult to make out what they're saying, and tinkering too much with the volume can be a dicey proposition when you're not quite sure when the next gun blast will hit. That's a minor quibble, though, and only detracts a tad from this superior aural effort.

From BD review here

I guess BD review must have better hearing or a better system than I do. I stand by my comments that the dialog track sucks! Just saw "Inglorious Bastards" last night. Now, that is a good sound track. Lots of gun fire in there too and we had no problem understanding the actors.

• 2 months later...

Watched last night on DVD and had to put the subtitles.

I was warned by this thread, so no big surprise.

I thought ot couldn't possibly be as bad as stated here, but it was worse than a 16mm 70's transfer.

Ruined the movie in my opinion, as it was a big distraction.

I think they will have to re-master/re-release it in the future.

Plus,I think my bulb is in it's final pre-warning hours, as even with dynamic mode, low light scenes are not as detailed as the once were.

Just need to take the time to sit down and try to fine tune to compensate I guess.