Would speakers stored in basement be ok?

mabcim

Hi,

Have been a member for while, but my first post in a while.

I have found a set of Klipsch surround speakers I'm interested in. Supposedly they are still in the original box, for about 8 years and the boxes never opened. The part that concerns me is that they have been stored in a basement on a shelf. It is supposedly a dry basement in a "new" home.

I will confirm these facts as best I can, but I wanted to get the opinion of you guys and gals. So would you expect the speaker's to be ok having been in storage for so long? I would think being in the original packaging would be a big help. I have seen a pair of cheap speakers that were stored in a basement (in a box put nothing more) and the speaker's surrounds deteriotated. Not sure if that is typical, or because they were cheap speakers, or because they weren't wrapped in plastic like they are from the factory.

Thanks in advance for those that respond. I appreciate it.

Mark

• Moderators

Klipsch don't have a problem with the surrounds deteriorating. I would think the original packaging would help and if was a dry basement it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you going to pick them up or are they going to be shipped to you ? If your going to pick them up inspect them before you buy them. As far as looks go make sure the cabinets are not separating of peeling, that could be from moisture. If possible maby bring something with you to at least listen to hear if all drivers are working.

What model is it ?

Others may have more advice this was just what I could think of right off.

Welcome back........it's been 8 years. [:o]

Can you hook the speakers up and try them out prior to making your decision? I think surrounds are made of better material these days and do not deteriorate as quickly as my 37 year old McIntosh ML-1Cs did[:)]

BTW....welcome to the forum mabcim! Try to post more often.

• Moderators

If they were in a dry basement in original boxes I would think you have nothing to worry about. The only thing that could cause a problem for you would be if the seller was not telling the Truth about something ? I think you will be OK,

The only problem I have seen with older Klipsch speakers is sometimes is where the wire slides onto the connection of the driver sometimes stops making the connection and needs to be cleaned and slipped back on, I had that happen twice, no problem at all really.

Speakers came today and they are excellent. They look brand new. Hooked them up and they sounded great!!! For the price I paid I'm very happy. Now I have finish deciding on a receiver. I have a Denon (plain AM/FM reciever) so I'm looking at the AVR1910 or AVR2310.

Anyway, thanks to all that replied. Your comments did help.

Hi,

Have been a member for while, but my first post in a while.

I have found a set of Klipsch surround speakers I'm interested in. Supposedly they are still in the original box, for about 8 years and the boxes never opened. The part that concerns me is that they have been stored in a basement on a shelf. It is supposedly a dry basement in a "new" home.

I will confirm these facts as best I can, but I wanted to get the opinion of you guys and gals. So would you expect the speaker's to be ok having been in storage for so long? I would think being in the original packaging would be a big help. I have seen a pair of cheap speakers that were stored in a basement (in a box put nothing more) and the speaker's surrounds deteriotated. Not sure if that is typical, or because they were cheap speakers, or because they weren't wrapped in plastic like they are from the factory.

Thanks in advance for those that respond. I appreciate it.

Mark

They'll store nicely in my HTS, please send them to my house, and I'll take good care of them. [A]