Question about speaker wire for HT

iTide

I have been finishing the basement. I have run 16 gauge wire in the wall for my surrounds. Do I need to stick with 16 gauge wire for the fronts or can I go to 12 or 14 gauge? Would it make an ounce of difference? The speakers will be within 10 feet of the amp. I just want the best sound possible. I have read somewhere however all speakers should be the same gauge wire and I didn't know if this were really the case. Thanks

• Moderators

Gauge is determined by distance of your speaker wire runs. Longer the runs, the larger the gauge you will need. I choose to use either 12 or 14 gauge wire. If you buy it from monoprice.com, either gauge wire is extremely affordable so to me, there is no need to run smaller wire than 12 or 14. Just my opinion.

As far as having to keep the same gauge, that isn't true. You wouldn't notice the difference between the wires unless you were running really long runs (like 30' or longer).

You can search online for gauge wire chart.

• Moderators

youthman is stupid and uninformed. you MUST use 6awg solid gold wire coated in silver and terminated with diamonds.

The real audiophiles (like myself) use a Titanium coating instead of a cheap Silver coating. Get your facts straight before you call someone stupid. [:P]

Titanium is not a good conductor of electricity. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, Youthman [;)].

youthman is stupid and uninformed. you MUST use 6awg solid gold wire coated in silver and terminated with diamonds.

The real audiophiles (like myself) use a Titanium coating instead of a cheap Silver coating. Get your facts straight before you call someone stupid. Stick out tongue

• Moderators

The real audiophiles (like myself) use a Titanium coating instead of a cheap Silver coating. Get your facts straight before you call someone stupid. Stick out tongue

It's still not worth a dime if it's not rubbed down with virgin snake oil, everyone knows that ! [*-)]

Obviously none of you are true audiophiles.

The only speaker wire to have is "Quad-wired 8g (or larger) hand forged solid silver multi-strand timed-correct, 24ct gold plated, cryogenically-treated, insulated in virgin nylon, hand poured ultra soft neoprene, cashmere in-cased with hand braided Titanium shielding".

Of course you will also need to install these:

http://www.audiyo.com/product_desc2.php?plid=5&cat=25&cat2=41 '> http://www.audiyo.com/product_desc2.php?plid=5&cat=25&cat2=41

• Moderators

Titanium is not a good conductor of electricity. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, Youthman

Well duh! I know absolutely nothing about electrical, conductivity. I guess I'll stick with recommending regular ole zip cord. Wire is wire.