Sansui AU-9500

Bonzo

I haven't used this amp in quite awhile. Hoisted it out today, crap it's heavy, and hooked it up to the La Scala's. Some of the pots and switches are a bit noisy when turned/flipped but nothing major, just annoying. After it warmed up a bit, although it never gets warm, I now remember why I have kept it. Laid back top end with punchy lows and warm mid-range. Dare I say "tube like?" Great phono section and plenty of adjustments via the tone controls. No fancy blue lights or meters here, she's all business! I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money to have a Sansui God completely restore it or focus on my newly aquired Sherwood S-8000 III tube receiver? I guess I could do both when funds allow?? Right now, I am really enjoying the Sansui and the LS combo. Some great iron from the early days of Solid State amplification.

post-18652-13819525646128_thumb.jpg

Great amp!!! One of the best they made. They followed up with the AU-9900 series (9900, 11000 and the rare 20000). Included in that "lineup" was the TU-9900, often considered as one of the finest tuners ever made. I'd have one of the Sansui "deities" go through it; I would suggest Warren Bendler (see www.sansui.us) for his contact info or send me an email. He is located in Ohio. As likely as not there are also very competent ss vintage techs in California.

Thanks for the information on the the tech. There is a guy who goes by "CDfixer" on Audiokarma that is supposed to be a great Sansui tech. He is in Southern California, Orange County I believe. I would like to have the matching tuner but I'm sure I would not use it much. Most radio stations around here SUCK! It would be cool to have the matched set though.

I am actually liking the sound from the Sansui a bit better than the Marantz 2325, through the La Scala's anyway. Maybe not as much low end thump but more airy highs and articulate mids. Didn't see that coming! I wish they were both a bit less heavy but, I guess weight means quality?

Mark, it was quite good when I started with it. I had Tim Schwartz (Bristol Electronics) go through it and check it out replace a couple resistors, but that was about it. I listened to it for about a year, and finally was "ready" for a serious tube tech to go through it and really bring it up to speed. Of all the speakers I tested it with, the Belles were the best (IMHO). It was ok with the K'horns, Cornwalls, LaScala's and Heresy's (surprisingly quite good with Heresy's to be honest), but for some reason, the Belles were the ticket. When it returns next month, I intend to tear apart the "rack", and A/B test it with an AU-11000 again with everything, then decide which pair it will drive.

Have a Merry Sansui holiday as well!!! Gotta' love the old stuff!!

Nothing like the vintage stuff..... Not shown is the spare, completely rebuilt AU-9900, the AU-111 tube amp (undergoing a transformation at NOSvalves), and the Revox B77 reel 2 reel

That's just nice! When my GF looks at me funny when I'm buying another piece, I like to have pictures like that to say "look honey, this guys got it bad" [Y]

• Moderators

WOW very nice collection Groomlake, That looks great and I know it must sound great, I hope those shelves are tough that's alot of iron up there.

I have always liked Sansui it was my first "real" stereo as far as sound went and it was just an 8080 but I loved it, that's some classic stuff you got there, very cool. [H]