One set of speakers to replace two

noobee

Right now I have a pair of KG 3.5s and Polk Audio R40s in front. I found that the KG 3.5s had better dynamic highs, but dropped out on alto or tenor voices, or the body of an alto sax. The Polks cover this midrange, but they don't have the same dynamism. So the ony way I get good, full-bodied 2-channel sound is to keep all four speakers going all the time. It sounds great, but it's a little bulky.

I am wondering if there is a speaker out there (preferably less than $400) that can create the same full-bodied sound and keep the dynamic highs. I have Quartets, Heresys, LaScalas ($$$), KG CF-3, KG 5.5, F-1, F-2, F-3, RF-10, RF-25, and RF-82s for sale in my area. There are also a pair of Chorus for sale about a half-days' drive away. I'd love to audition them all, but that doesn't usually work when you're taking the Craigslist approach. Please help.

I am running an Onkyo amp.

Noobee,

Welcome to the forum. How much are the Quartets listed for in your area? I picked up a pair a few months ago and was taken back how smooth and dynamic they are. The bass is pronounced and the mids are to die for. Very smooth with the tractrix horn. I have listened to them with an Onkyo/B&K combo, a Luxman/Denon combo, and a vintage Marantz receiver. All three combinations were very pleasing to my ears with the Marantz having the slight edge.

Bill

I can't make heads or tales of the SN#'s on my Quartets but the input terminal cups also says 1989. My Forte's SN#'s indicate they were mfd in 1985 with the cups also stating 1985. I am not sure if this is true across the board.

If the Quartets are in very good condition, $400.00 seems to be a fair price. Audiogon bluebook indicates the average used price from Feb 02 to Oct 09 to be $500.00 with the last sold at $510.00. I think a more realistic fair price in this economy would probably be closer to $350.00. If you are considering the Quartets, make the seller an offer and see what happens.

What is your location?

Bill

Your profile picture shows shows the Quartets next to the Reference series (I think). Which do you like better? I'll be able to afford more next year if it's worth the wait.

Actually those are Forte's sitting between some KG4's and RF-63's. Since the photo I have sold the KG4's and purchased the Quartet's(which are in spare bedroom).

To tell you the truth, both the Forte's and the RF-63's have their strengths. I have found the Forte's do very well with low wattage tubes and low wattage vintage SS. If you really want them to sing and you have a large volume room, pump at least 125w/ch of SS juice. Being a 3 way speaker, you will get better seperation in the mids with the midrange horn over the 2 way RF-63.

On the other hand, like the RF-7's and RF-83's, the RF-63's love power. I use them mostly for HT but for 2 channel applications, for a 2 way speaker, they are very smooth with the tractrix horn. They both sound great but just different.

Bill