Walking Subwoofers

ka7niq

I have a pair of 9 cu ft Subs I built in trianglur boxes that are corner mounted.

They look a lot like K Horn bass bins.

The 15 inch high X Max drivers fire down, as do the two ports tuned for the EBS alignment.

The subwoofers have 3 "legs" to raise the woofers/ports approx 8 inches off the ceramic tile floor.

My problem is, they "walk" out from the corners.

And ideas or experience short of sitting on them to keep them from walking around ?

It has become a PITA to keep having to push them back in the corners, after playing music with heavy bass.

Thanks Bill !!!

I kinda messed up on the subs, not making the legs higher off the floor ?

They aRE ONLY 8 INCHES HIGH sorry about caps!!

The floor can effect the port tuning i am told ?

But a thin floor rug just may do it ?

It is totally crazy to see big subwoofers walk!!!

These go down to 14 hz, and seem flat to 18 ?

I have some pro sound DVDAudio chinese pro sound amps capable of a lot of power.

I know some guys hate them, but they put my bridged Ashly FET 500's to bed!

Below 20 hz, my suspended ceiling tiles used to "waLK" , so I loaded em down by stuffing thick fiberglass insulation behind them, 12 inches thick!

Believe it or not, that drastically imprved both the bass and the rooms sound!

But my sliding glass doors, and main windows rattle still.

Duke Le June modeled my sub boxes and long throw car stereo drivers, and predicted over 120 DB at 20 hz!

My audiophile snobs buddies HATE me, because I "broke all the rules'' by using car stereo drivers, and chinese amps.

I had dual SVS Ultra Cylinders subwoofers, witgh a pair of bridges Ashly FET 500's, and this combo EATS the SVS and Ashly FET 500's.

The drivers I used are Cadence Wild Beast 15 inch car stereo drivers I got for 129.00 each, and the GVDAudio amps are 199.00 each!

The big piano lacquer approx 9 cu ft boxes cost me a grand to have made, but are well built, and beautiful.

They will survive long after this old man is gone, to provide room shaking bass for my grandkids.

Duke Le June designed what is called an Extended Bass Shelf Alignment that takes the rooms corner gain into account.

They work well w/o any EQ, not boomy at all, and will simply scare the chit out of unsuspecting people who have never heard them.

In the movie "The Chronicles of Riddick" with Vince Diesel, the spaceship scene has sent many a girl into my lap, LOL

Now, with the Cornwall 2's, I FINALLY have a speaker that can play over top of them, allowing me to reallly lean into the big subs, for maximum shock factor!

The cheap Chinese amps really deliver the goods too, and I know some audio snobs hate it, but that is the truth!

You know, being a Ham Radio Operator, it is my "nature" to be "cheap"

I own the largest roof cleaning company in Tampa, and could pay cash for a pair of Crown K2's w/o making a dent in my grandkids inheritance.

But us Hams Pride ourselves on being cheap!

I get more of a "kick" out of "breaking the rules" with my cheap chinese amps and car stereo drivers.

IMHO, a transistor or woofer dont give a funk IF the audio snobs accept it, or not.

Power is power, and long excursion is long excursion, period.

The ONLY "pedigree" I care about is, does the amp/woofer combo shake the room ?

Since I am "On My Soapbox" at the moment, I think us older audiophiles should embrace the next generation of audiophiles, the car stereo bass freaks ?

WTF do you think our hobby is gonna be, when us stuffy old man are dead ?

IMHO, and Kid really into bass in his car needs to be mentored by us, for THEY represent the future of our hobby.

These Kids DO appreciate good sound, and I make every effort to impart what little I know about audio to them.

I watched Ham Radio die, because a bunch of old fuddy duddys did noty want to drop the morse code requirements to get a ham radio license.

Finally, the morse code requirements were dropped, but it was too late!

Hams are DYING, we are relics of the past.

This forum is a friendly place, with a lot of knowledge freely given to newcomers.

But I think you guys know the snobby forums of which I speak.

I have seen young people literallly run off some forums, just because they were Kids!

IMHO, we muct remember these are children, kids.

Try and get past the rap Music, and boom boom ?

remember, our parents hated our Rock and Roll too ?

In 20 years, many of us will be DEAD, or wishing we were ?

The boom boom bass heads playing Rap Music are going to be the audiophiles of tomorrow!

LOL, as long as they put enough cotton in their ears ?

Yes....... with my loving wife wife who still jumps into my lap on occasion...... [H]

Seriously, the rooms in our home are small enough and don't really need a sub (see profile....), so even with U-571, etc. we're getting the necessary "effect". Really, really deep bass, while neat, gets a little overpowering. I experimented with a Klipsch 12" sub for a while, but just really never used it to it's full potential (I tried once and was firmly chastised by SWMBO for rattling the crystal and china, vibrating the pictures off the walls, causing the dogs to howl, cats to climb trees, small children to run for cover, etc.... LOLOL!!!)

Yes....... with my loving wife wife who still jumps into my lap on occasion...... Cool

Seriously, the rooms in our home are small enough and don't really need a sub (see profile....), so even with U-571, etc. we're getting the necessary "effect". Really, really deep bass, while neat, gets a little overpowering. I experimented with a Klipsch 12" sub for a while, but just really never used it to it's full potential (I tried once and was firmly chastised by SWMBO for rattling the crystal and china, vibrating the pictures off the walls, causing the dogs to howl, cats to climb trees, small children to run for cover, etc.... LOLOL!!!)

My Dog does not care for deep bass, it "upsets" her.

Thunderstorms either!

She will place a paw over her eyes during a Thunderstorm.

That "does the trick" for her I guess, keeps her from seeing the Lightning ?

But there is no "escaping" super low bass.

The minute she hears, or feels it, she asks to be let outside.