Klipsch 500 HD or BOSE Acoustimass 5.1

pp123

Experts..I am a novice, this is my first home theater system and I need your advice.

I bought an Onkyo 707 and Klipsch 500 HD system day before Christmas. I did this after doing lot of online research and reading many reviews. I have connected TV, DVD player etc to onkyo using RCA cable(old player/TV - no HDMI). Connected from DVD player to Onkyo using digital cable. All Speakers and sub are hooked to onkyo. I positioned the speakers as desired in the small apartment room and let Onkyo Audyssey do the automatic equalization and adjustments. I played transformers, terminator salvation, Pearl harbor and Polar express to check the performance. I took the same DVDs to my cousin's place and played this on his old Yamaha HTR xx(7 year old low cost receiver) + Bose acoustimass 5.1 system. Bose beat the klipsch in all measures of performance. I don't think receiver could be a problem.

Observation

1. Voice clarity was much better in bose+yamaha Vs Klipsch+Onkyo

2. Each sound effect - individual sounds were easily noticeable on Bose.

3. Needed to crank up the volume to 0dB in Klipsch + onkyo compared to -20dB in Yamaha + Bose to get comparable loudness but then Klipsch started loosing the clarity.

I am not sure if something could be wrong in the set up as these two systems were tested in different room environment. I am planning to take Klipsch to my cousin's place and test in his house itself for an apples to apples comparison. Will report back on this.

Based on what I have experienced so far, I am getting more inclined to exchange my klipsch with Bose.

Any expert's advise for me??

Welcome to the forums.

A couple of quick observations/questions:

• Did you check your speaker phasing ?
  • 0 dB vs -20 dB on two different receivers is pretty much meaningless, as is comparing speakers on different AVRs
  • Did you do the sub-crawl & /or experiment with phasing on your subs to optimize the results, crossover frequencies ?
  • What is the price comparison ?
  • Are you affiliated with Bose in any way [:)]?
  • Like 1

Oblio Thanks for taking up my queries. As I mentioned, I am novice at this and this is my first home theater set up.

Did you check your speaker phasing ?

I see a switch at the back of Klipsch Sub to select between 0 or 180 setting. Are you referring to this by speaker phasing - if not How do I check for this?

0 dB vs -20 dB on two different receivers is pretty much meaningless, as is comparing speakers on different AVRs

ok - then how do you compare two different AVRs and two different speakers set. I am planning to take speakers to test on my cousin's setup - just switch the speakers from Bose to Klipsch and keep everything same. I hope that will be apple to apples test.

Did you do the sub-crawl & /or experiment with phasing on your subs to optimize the results, crossover frequencies ?

I let the Onkyo Audyssey automatic set up to do the optimization. My online research told me that this is the best way to set up the system, or go for professional installation. Little write up on that is pasted below.

Audyssey MultEQ

MultEQ detects speakers, and then sets levels, delays and crossovers, as well as measuring room acoustics. Using the receiver interface, it takes up to 6 measurements around the listening area and uses high-resolution equalization filters for satellites and subwoofers. MultEQ covers both frequency response and time domain (where most of the problems lie) across the entire listening area.

What is the price comparison ?

Klipsch was 600/- + Onkyo was 600/- (500 in deal)

Boss equivalent is 500 ( the model I compared too is a 7 year old same model)

Are you affiliated with Bose in any way ?

No. I work for Intel - more in making PC business :). Just want to get a good home theater in 1000/- price point.

Oblio Thanks for taking up my queries. As I mentioned, I am novice at this and this is my first home theater set up.
Did you check your speaker phasing ?
I see a switch at the back of Klipsch Sub to select between 0 or 180 setting. Are you referring to this by speaker phasing - if not How do I check for this?

I was refering to all speakers wired from amp + to speaker +

0 dB vs -20 dB on two different receivers is pretty much meaningless, as is comparing speakers on different AVRs
ok - then how do you compare two different AVRs and two different speakers set. I am planning to take speakers to test on my cousin's setup - just switch the speakers from Bose to Klipsch and keep everything same.

To do it properly you need to use the same AVR and setup each set of speakers prior to listening.

Did you do the sub-crawl & /or experiment with phasing on your subs to optimize the results, crossover frequencies ?
I let the Onkyo Audyssey automatic set up to do the optimization. My online research told me that this is the best way to set up the system, or go for professional installation. Little write up on that is pasted below.
Audyssey MultEQ
MultEQ detects speakers, and then sets levels, delays and crossovers, as well as measuring room acoustics. Using the receiver interface, it takes up to 6 measurements around the listening area and uses high-resolution equalization filters for satellites and subwoofers. MultEQ covers both frequency response and time domain (where most of the problems lie) across the entire listening area.

What is the price comparison ?

Get a SPL meter and set it up manually. Auto setups MAY get it close but to do it right you need to tweak it. No auto setup software can properly adjust for room modes and gain, this varies greatly with the placement of your sub. Put your sub where you listen (set it IN the chair, preferably at ear level) the most and then crawl around on the floor till you get good bass response. This is where to place your sub. A pretty good start for the price points you are working with.

Klipsch was 600/- + Onkyo was 600/- (500 in deal)
Boss equivalent is 500 ( the model I compared too is a 7 year old same model)

Are you affiliated with Bose in any way ?
No. I work for Intel - more in making PC business :). Just want to get a good home theater in 1000/- price point.

Which Bose AM system is it ? IIRC the HD 500 can be had for much less.

• Like 1

I just checked quintet III at a friend's place. They sounds much better than my HD500. Smaller as well. I am contemplating to change my HD500 with quintet. But I have read on this forum that HD500 is supposed to be on the lines of $20,000 per pair Palladium P-39F speakers - toned down version but still this should be much better then quintet. Now I'm curious to know how HD systems are in comparison to the Quintet series. Would it be advisable to return HD500 and get quintet III instead.

I just checked quintet III at a friend's place. They sounds much better than my HD500. Smaller as well. I am contemplating to change my HD500 with quintet. But I have read on this forum that HD500 is supposed to be on the lines of $20,000 per pair Palladium P-39F speakers - toned down version but still this should be much better then quintet. Now I'm curious to know how HD systems are in comparison to the Quintet series. Would it be advisable to return HD500 and get quintet III instead.

If you're willing to get slightly larger speakers you should also try the B-3's, S-3's and C-3 as a center. Amazon has all three for $560.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers-Black/dp/B000MZE68A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261935822&sr=1-1

That doesn't include a sub unfortunately but full size speakers should give a much better sound than the smaller 'lifestyle' designs and you can pick up a sub later or buy a $100 sub.

Even if you stick to smaller speakers I'd advise against Bose. I used to own two Bose systems but after hearing competitors (like the B&W MT-30, the Kef 3005/5005) I sold the Bose and couldn't be happier!

AR

'Lifestyle' is an Oxymoron invented by shoesalesman marketeers at Bose. If you want good sound, then your lifestyle should reflect that. Physics is based on physical laws and no amount of marketing or 'research' can change those laws. Big sound requires drivers that are matched in both size and impedance with the physical medium in which they operate. Bose 'engineering' has an emphasis on matching the lifestyle of one who esteems esthetics (YMMV) over fidelity.

• Like 1