McIntosh C2200 preamp report

MacKlipsch

Well....Got her all hooked up a couple of days ago...fired her up and listened to some of my favorite CD's that I'm most familiar with for about an hour...then..."pop".....dead.....bummer dude....Hopefully it is a tube...going to take it into the dealer today to check it out....AC seems to be ok...all the displays and switches still work, but sounds like crap with no gain whatsoever....Mac says the are using Svetlana 12AX7's and NOS military 12AT7 tubes???....But for one glorious hour...This preamp is the finest preamp I have ever had the pleasure of hearing....incredible...will be curious to see the "expert" reviews when they come out.....Will post a full review when I get her back up...

This message has been edited by MacKlipsch on 03-11-2002 at 03:40 PM

MacKlipsch

I know how you feel - my AQ1003DT blew up 3 days after I got it.It turned out that the plate on one of the EL34's shorted and took out a resistor.

My dealer gave me a Rega Brio to use in the interim and Divertech replaced all the tubes and supplied me with an upgraded power cable.

I couldn't really ask for better than that.

Gotta hate it when a new toy goes sideways!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-11-2002 at 03:10 PM

MacKlipsch,

Good Luck with the tubes. You'll be very happy! Hope McIntosh fixes the preamp right away. They have a great reputation for satisfied customers & quality made gear.

When you get a chance, could you please post the Bell Labs "paper" on 3 channel audio (Stereo with a center channel). I remember one of your postings saying you put that info on the forum.

Thanks,

Pete

Well...just got back from the dealer...We tested all the tubes...all tested good...no shorts....Dealer calls McIntosh to get a new one shipped ASAP...which turns out to be in one month....BS...I ordered and paid for this thing 6 weeks ago...now I have to wait another month???...Seems to me given the circumstances that Mac could come up with a more expeditious solution...I have been a customer of this company since the 60's and am frankly disappointed with their lack of "customer service"....After I ordered it I called McIntosh and spoke with both Ron Cornelius and someone in technical services reg what kind of tubes were they using in this pre-amp....got 2 different answers....one (Ron) said the 12AX7's were Svetlana and the 12AT7's were NOS military...the tech person said they were all Svetlana's....WELL...ALL are marked "made in China"...glad to see that the Mac folks are so well informed about their products...jeesh...$4500 for a preamp and they couldn't spring for some decent tubes???? I'm not expecting Telefunkin here, but there are several small tubes that are being manufactured the are better than Chinese tubes...(Ei's, Svetlana's, JJ's, EH, Jan Phillips) that are not appreciably more $$$....

Sorry for the rant, but Mac is on my s list now...

MacKlipsch,

I had to return the McIntosh power amp that I bought a month or two ago. Mine was damaged in shipping to the dealer, but I didn't know it untill after picking it up and unpacking it at home. I called the dealer and he asked me if I wanted him to repair it or have McIntosh ship me a new one. I had them ship me a new one. It's a pain in the butt, but they treat you right.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

quote:

Originally posted by rowooo:

Macklipsch....Been looking for a new two-channel preamp and the C-15 was on my short list. Any comments on this unit? Thanks......

I've been eyeballin' the MC202 for a while now. Just need to listen to it. Well, maybe I shouldn't...just wind up that much more in debt.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

rowooo,

The C-15 is a great preamp, especially for the price....Been waiting for the new Mac Tube C2200 for a couple of years...Would have gotten a C-22, but really wanted the remote control...The C-15 is a no frills C-42 for less than 1/2 the price....doensn't have tape loops or a small amp built in, or balanced in's or out's...none of those were, or are an issue to me...sonically the same.....mine will be on e-bay on Friday....

This is more than disconcerting. Then again, not that surprising to me. I dont think McIntosh is in touch with its customers. Their name has far outweighed their sonic value for years and years. You might be better off. Then again, I would STILL call as high up as you can get here. Bypass the clowns. You might get some satisfaction; you have an important point - You are RIGHT.

kh

ps- The 12AX7 Mullard would float your boat more than the Telefunken. I have both and wish my Telefunken (now have them in Cary Phono) were the better Mullards. Damn if the Telefunken 12AX7 doesnt have an amazing buzz about it, however...

For once, this is something both MH and I agree on.

McIntosh has gone bye-bye. Everyone that sells ths stuff knows it, customer complaints are everywhere and quality problems are huge. There are two trains of thought at McIntosh (actually Clarion), ultra high end for the Japanese market and the "boxed sheetmetal shat" for those fat-assed stupid American "Ganjees".