Lossless audio thru via 7.1 channel inputs

v3spitfire

Hello - it's been awhile since I've posted - too long to be honest, but I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I have a Harman Kardon Signature pre/pro with 6 channel direct inputs. I just bought a blueray player with 8 channel outputs and have connected 5.1 channels to the HK processor. I just did this last week. My question is, am I getting lossless (ie, Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master) from these analog cables? I think I am, and looking at the Dolby site, it appears they are saying that would work. I've had some people say the only way to get Lossless Audio is thru an HDMI3 connection. I don't think this is correct, but hopefully someone hear can be certain. Thanks, and good to be back!

• Moderators

I've had some people say the only way to get Lossless Audio is thru an HDMI3 connection. I don't think this is correct, but hopefully someone hear can be certain. Thanks, and good to be back!

Everything that I have read says that you can take advantage of lossless through multi-channel outputs.

• Moderators

Quick google reveals that my assessment was correct. Article

Multichannel Analog Connection

A next-generation optical player may also include line-level audio
outputs sourced from the multichannel mixed PCM signals passed through
digital-to-analog converters. The advent of SACD and DVD-Audio in
recent years has led to the incorporation of 5.1 and even 7.1 external
inputs on many A/V receivers. If your A/V receiver is equipped with 5.1
or 7.1 external audio inputs, the selection of an optical player
equipped with 5.1- or 7.1 channel line-level outputs will provide
full-bandwidth reproduction of the audio signal originating from your
HD player.

Connection via Multichannel Analog Inputs
Figure 3 - Connection via Multichannel Analog Inputs

A connection through either of these existing interfaces will let
you experience the full potential of the high-resolution audio
delivered on next-generation optical formats.

V3, what BlueRay player are youy using. I'm considering the Oppo BP83 (or whatever the numbers are)

$500 and it doesn't look like any discounts are available for the unit, but it does what you are stating. I've got a nice Pioneer 1015 that is not HDMI but I'm not ready to replace it yet. So the Oppo looks like the way to go.

I'm using the Samsung P3600 and paid $279 (it's now $250 or so). My uncle has the Oppo and it is a LOT beefier and much more high end (cord, power supply). I went with the samsung P3600 because it also has the netflix/blockbuster/pandora streaming and it's wireless (as well as the 8 channel outs). It does look classy as well - very simple look - buttons are all on top. If wireless and streaming built in aren't needed (or you go with an external box), the oppo is very nice. He paid $499 as well...

I'd prefer the oppo if it had all of the other stuff integrated. Probably will shortly [:)]

The Oppo not having the Internet access is what has me on the fence. Does the Samsung do a good job of upconverting DVDs? Also does it support the SACD format?

I really don't want to have to have multiple disc players.

I'm somewhat of the opinion that the DACS are most likely of equal quality in each device and hence I wouldn't be compromising audio/video quality.

If you have an older receiver or pre/pro that doesn't have the DAC's for the new formats using the multi-channel inputs seems to be a good way to go. It looks like lots of the new home theater receivers don't always support all of the new higher quality audio formats. It also looks like only some of the Blu-ray players have multi-channel out and not all of the early ones supported all of the new audio formats. The new formats hold the promise of providing very high quality audio but the average consumer will probably have no clue how to get things configured to take advantage of the new technology. I'm sure there are much newer articles on the subject but I found this article published in 2008 very useful.

Home Theater magazine article "High-Definition Audio"

It does a good job of upconverting standard DVDs. I've only played a couple standard dvds, but it's at least equal to by denon DVD player (for non Blue Ray) that upconverted to 720/1080i for . You are correct - it does not support SACD (I don't use SACD). I should have mentioned that it doesn't do this earlier.

Also, I do not have a 1080p tv. I have a 720p/1080i DLP. The OPPO has to be a better overall player, I sacrificed for simplicity - but think the samsung is very good at it's price point.

Well, I started out thinking I'll go with the Oppo, and then I was all over the place thinking maybe the Samsung or a Sony unit but what I'm finding is that only the Oppo does SACD, and the more I think about it, I'm not so worried about not getting Netflix streaming or Pandora streaming.

I did learn that the Oppo is going to have a new model announced at the CES show this coming week, so I'll wait for that before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for posting the articles above guys!

• Moderators

I don't suppose there's a simple solution if your BR player is a PS3?

Nope, unfortunately, the PS3 does not have multi-channel inputs to use with older receivers. If you do not use HDMI, you will not be able to take advantage of the new HD audio formats. You can get up to Dolby Digital and DTS throught the fiber optic (toslink) connection though which are still great formats.

Looks like even the new PS3 Slim does not have that feature either.

I don't suppose there's a simple solution if your BR player is a PS3?

In the same boat as you. I opted to get a Pioneer BDP-320 - about $220 - rather than buy a new preamp at this time, plus I wanted to get something quieter than my PS3 whose fan noise is rather distracting. The 320 fit the bill for me. I don't need Netflix/Amazon/Blockbuster streaming (got the Tivo HD for that) and I have a total of 5 SACD's so I was not willing to spend the $500 on an OPPO. It's probably just my imagination but the HD audio sounds outstanding, and it seems to me it does a better job with Bluray discs than the PS3 does.