so very close but alas, no cigar and no craigslist cornwalls

smalltalk

i am very new to this forum. i signed up a week ago to pursue a crosstown craigslister who had a pair of cornwalls for sale. one of you very kind and knowledge klipsch folks deciphered the code numbers and identified the cornwalls as likely to be a cornwall 1.5.

unfortunately, even though i did my research and managed to get pre-buy wife approval to take up additional living space that my present well thought of kg4s would give way to the much larger footprint of the cornwall 1.5s, even with all of that being accomplished, i was informed by the seller this evening the cornwalls were no longer available. did he sell them to another interested party? did he have a change of mind? did his nephew somehow convince his uncle to keep the cornwalls "in the family". who knows the reason, the bottom line is: i'm not going to get to listen to those cornwalls in my living room.

darn. double darn.

that said, i have come away from this experience more knowledgable about klipsch speakers and the marvelous resources available for these wonderful sounding classics.

now i'm hunger for another shot at a cornwall or maybe a forte II.

thanks to all who added to the conversation with info and support.

be well

rob

This "suddenly not available" phenomena is happening with a disturbing regularity. While no-one can actually prove it, it seems that when someone, for example, lists a pair of Cornwalls for $400, and a buyer says, "I'll be right over".... they get another phone call and someone offers them $450.... They then simply call or email the first buyer and say "no longer available". Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it. Keep your eyes and ears open, Cornwalls are appearing quite often, all overthe place, and you'll probably get lucky within a month or so.

This "suddenly not available" phenomena is happening with a disturbing regularity. While no-one can actually prove it, it seems that when someone, for example, lists a pair of Cornwalls for $400, and a buyer says, "I'll be right over".... they get another phone call and someone offers them $450.... They then simply call or email the first buyer and say "no longer available". Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it. Keep your eyes and ears open, Cornwalls are appearing quite often, all overthe place, and you'll probably get lucky within a month or so.

Too true GLA... I recently had a CL trade go sour, on a lawn tractor. I wanted to trade up, another guy wanted to trade down or sell for $1k, and we had the "show me yours and I'll show you mine" date all set up when a subsequent phone call ended with "Um... yeah. I sold it out from under you. Another guy offered me $1050. Is you machine for sale maybe?"

"Sure," I replied with a chuckle... "For $1050!"

At least he was man enough to admit it!

Its happened all too often to me as well. I used to be quite gracious and patient when dealing through C'list or a local ad but its become apparent that the world is full of snipers that will descend upon innocent sellers with any excuse and strategy to get an edge. I used to tell myself that its understandable and these people are trying to make a living while I'm only in it for personal enjoyment but after a few near misses, I've become pretty jaded to the process.

Just last week, I responded to an ad in C'list for a nice guitar at an incredible price. I figured it was a long shot at best but the seller called and said that I was the 1st to contact him and we should set something up for the next day. Although it was after 10pm, I offered to come right over and promised I'd wouldn't stay long and if the guitar was as advertised, I'd buy it on the spot. Luckily, he was close by and agreed so I jumped in my car and was at his house within 30 minutes - cash in hand (that's a bit scary as well).

When I arrived, he said that he'd been inundated with emails about the guitar and admitted that some folks had said the guitar was worth much more than he was asking for but added that he would honor the price if I were still interested. He said that he had a couple of emails offering him over twice his asking price and folks willing to come right over with cash - he was delighted that he hadn't included his phone# as he originally intended. Though after inspection, the guitar wasn't exactly what he was advertising (his ad stated that it was a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom though it was actually a late '69) it was still bargain-basement priced and I gladly paid him and rushed home with my new toy @12:30am. The next morning, when I told my wife of the previous evening's dealings, she was most certainly not amused.

Bill and I had discussed going to an upcoming show of progressive music and exchanged contact info so when I sent him the show's details, he replied that although he had marked the guitar as sold and taken down the ad, he was still getting emails with some folks practically demanding to see the guitar and others wanting my contact info. Luckily he's a nice guy and laughed it off but I think he learned a lot about what some folks are capable of out there. It takes all kinds....

thanks all for the "atta boy, you'll gettum next time".

i'm a patient guy, so i'll keep sniffing, reading these forums and learning.

for those who asked, i'm in the new york city metro area in the northern most corner of the five boros along the hudson river. i am willing to drive 100+ miles to take a look/pickup-maybe more for a "deal". i'm particularly interested in cornwalls, forte IIs and maybe chorus IIs. (i'm not trying to sound too particular but it will take a delightful speaker to move me from the kg4s.)

again, thanks for the pat on the back.

happy new year to you all.

be well

rob

This "suddenly not available" phenomena is happening with a disturbing regularity. .

Several months ago, i responded to a craig's list ad for a slot machine. It was friday night and I was willing to go on saturday and buy it. The seller told me that someone was coming by on sunday to look at it. i told him that if that person didn't buy it, let me know. the seller said "first one to get here gets it." In this instance, I may been the reason that this other potential buyer got a "suddenly not available" email/phone call. I specifically told the seller that i didn't want to screw somebody else that had contacted him first; but, he said don't worry about it. Was there really someone coming by on Sunday to look at it or was that just a story to make me buy it right away? Or did the seller not care about pulling the rug out from under the person that contacted him first? I don't know.