Looking to invest in a good intregrated tube amp. ... Please help

MJK601

Okay I have decided to invest in tubes for my KLF Series Speakers. I have both the 30s and 20s. Am going to run just one pair for now. Could someone point me in the right direction? If I go with an integrated tube amp will I loose anything? Is it better to go pre amp and tube amp? Budget is tight for tubes. Only looking to spend around a $800 - $1000. Also, obviously would like to purchase something I can build a system with to eventually integrate all my speakers. PS listen to a lot of classic rock, rock, bluegrass...

Look forward to your alls help.

MJK601

Okay I have decided to invest in tubes for my KLF Series Speakers. I have both the 30s and 20s. Am going to run just one pair for now. Could someone point me in the right direction? If I go with an integrated tube amp will I loose anything? Is it better to go pre amp and tube amp? Budget is tight for tubes. Only looking to spend around a $800 - $1000. Also, obviously would like to purchase something I can build a system with to eventually integrate all my speakers. PS listen to a lot of classic rock, rock, bluegrass...

MJK601

You have some highly regarded speakers! You could find an Antique Sound Labs KT88 integrated new for about $1,000. I forget the model name. I would look on Audiogon for a used Fisher 500, then ship it to Craig to restore / hot rod it.

I'm kinda in a similar situation, as I've ordered a pair of Heresy IIIs, and will worry about getting a new amp when my Onkyo receiver finally dies.

The 30s are ~102db efficient, so unless you're in a huge room you shouldn't need more than a few watts. I run my KHorns (104db) with a 6-watt DIY amp and really like it.

I've had Jolida amps that I liked, have heard good things about Rogue (US made). Check out audiogon for a smorgasboard (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) of used and new gear for sale. I think you can get very good results with an integrated dollar for dollar vs. separates. Not too many choices if you want to integrate more speakers though.

The thing I like about tubes is that they're cool, you can play around with different tubes to tweak the sound. I also prefer the sound of the tube amps I've heard vs. the SS amps I've heard, but it depends on what you like.

MJK601

Hey MJK601,

What is your goal? You keep mentioning that you want to eventually integrate all of your speakers?

Are you building a Home Theater? 2-2 channel systems? 1-2 channel system that you can switch speakers back and forth? 1-quad system?

Do you have some gear now? A pre amp or receiver? etc.....

The more information we have the better we can help you.

Dennie

Dennie,

I currently have one receiver which I use in my HT with paradigms. I have a set of KLF 30's and KLF 20's that I used to use in my HT.The KLF's sat in my basement for a year..eerrrrrgggh. I have an EX now and they are back upstairs! Yeah!!

At first I wanted to run the 30's and 20's as front and rears (like I use to). But after doing some thinking and the amount of money I have. I think my best bet is to go with running a 2 channel system and either run the 30's or 20's. This system will be solely for music (classic rock, rock, reggae, bluegrass). I mainly play CD's and I also have a ton of mp3 and lossless(ipod) music. So I need to get a DAC. I think I have finally decided to go the tube route. Which is where Ive been wanting to go a ll along. So right now Im just trying to get an idea of which way to go...craig at NOSVALVES has a vintage Scott LK72. I was also looking at a Jolida 502b. I know absolutely nothing about tubes but what Ive read. Im looking forward learning. Any recommendationson which way to go would be great. Right now Im leaning "new" rather than "vintage" only because I know nothing and obviously its less scary going new....

MJK

Dennie,

I currently have one receiver which I use in my HT with paradigms. I have a set of KLF 30's and KLF 20's that I used to use in my HT.The KLF's sat in my basement for a year..eerrrrrgggh. I have an EX now and they are back upstairs! Yeah!!

At first I wanted to run the 30's and 20's as front and rears (like I use to). But after doing some thinking and the amount of money I have. I think my best bet is to go with running a 2 channel system and either run the 30's or 20's. This system will be solely for music (classic rock, rock, reggae, bluegrass). I mainly play CD's and I also have a ton of mp3 and lossless(ipod) music. So I need to get a DAC. I think I have finally decided to go the tube route. Which is where Ive been wanting to go a ll along. So right now Im just trying to get an idea of which way to go...craig at NOSVALVES has a vintage Scott LK72. I was also looking at a Jolida 502b. I know absolutely nothing about tubes but what Ive read. Im looking forward learning. Any recommendationson which way to go would be great. Right now Im leaning "new" rather than "vintage" only because I know nothing and obviously its less scary going new....

MJK

Hey MJK,

Okay, I get it now. I have never ran tubes, so I can not comment on which way to go. Do you think tubes will be a good match for those speakers? Or do they need a big SS amp to fill in the bottom end? I've also never heard those beautiful speakers, but I thought I read somewhere that they required more power for those big ol 'woofers.

I've thought about going tube's, but like you, I don't know anything about them and I've always thought tubes were" kind of" an on going expense. Changing tubes for better sound, etc. I do like the idea of NEW, it is much less scary.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than us will chime in.

Dennie

Tubes are pretty much plug and play. You just need to check and adjust bias on the output tubes once in a while (months).

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the NOS or Jolida route. The Jolida is 60 watts per, and I'd be shocked if it didn't drive those KLFs without breaking a sweat. I'm not familar with the Scott you mentioned but NOS has a great rep on these forums. If you buy used you can almost always resell for close to what you paid if you don't like. My guess is you'll like either of them just fine.

You're crazy if you don't at least call Craig. He knows better than anyone the condition and performance of the LK72 he has for sale. He's rebuilt a gazillion old Scotts, Fishers, etc., a couple I currently own and a few more I used to own. Also, everyone I know who bought a new integrated tube amp like the Jolida, expecting to hear what they heard from one of Craig's rebuilt vintage models, always came away disappointed and often returned their purchase in favor of a rebuilt Scott or similar.

Good luck.

Thanks Gary...I have talked to Craig. I know thats what I need to do. I guess I just needed someone to tell me that. I am knew to this tube thing and having trouble justifying buying a 45 year old unit. But I know I wont be disappointed. Thanks again for the advise! Cant wait to hear Jerry comin out of TUBES!

i started out my journey with tubes with a Jolida 502B, i was disappointed with its sound until i read that the weak link with this unit its passive preamp, i picked up a cheap tube preamp and it totally transformed the Jolida, i kept it for a year but finally traded it in to Craig on some VRDs. For a beginner I will say it was good to start with and I only paid a total of $500 for the 502B and preamp. Ask Craig if he's hot rodded the 502B I traded in...just a thought but either way whatever you get from Craig will be VERY reliable and sound smokin" Did you sell the pinched-waist Thebes the Magnificent?

Got the Scott Tube amp from Craig on Saturday and hooked it up to my KLF 30's...........HOLY S#%$! Wow! I cant be happier. It sounds friggin amazing. That amp just makes those things sing and its got plenty of bottom end to go with it. Perfect....Thanks again guys for all your help. You definately helped me make the right decision.

MJK

Got the Scott Tube amp from Craig on Saturday and hooked it up to my KLF 30's...........HOLY S#%$! Wow! I cant be happier. It sounds friggin amazing. That amp just makes those things sing and its got plenty of bottom end to go with it. Perfect....Thanks again guys for all your help. You definately helped me make the right decision.

MJK

I love it! Good for you MJK!!!!! [Y]

Dennie