Turntable Noise

oldmako

The TT and it's cartridge are at least 20 years old, perhaps more like 25. Coupled with the fact that it wasn't exactly a high dollar unit I suspect that I am going to have to get used to a bit of noise. This I can fix however. I just figured that a big slab of neoprene would be a good start.

I'll poke around for a hunk of granite. How about a racquetball sliced in half? I have tons of them.

If you have a Granite Counter top store, local, the cut out part for the sink is Ideal or close to it, for a Turntable platform. They are usually cheap or free. Stop by one and ask, they just might give it to you.

Dennie

I cut a 2ft x 2ft hole in my floorboards then I had a concrete foundation poured in the crawl-space that rises up 4ft into the living room, 3 tons of mass that not even a herd of Rhinos stampeding thru my living room could shake. If I ever plan to move I will get an artist friend of mine to sculpt it into a piece of art to disguise it before prospective buyers come a viewing.[8-|]

Bad turntable design

I'll second that. You've already tried isolating the turntable from the floor and it really hasn't helped. The problem appears to be that the vibration is being picked up by the turntable base itself. If that's the case, then the neoprene isolation may actually make the problem worse.

Try adding some mass to the turntable base. For a test, maybe carefully place a couple of bricks wherever you can on the base (no, not on the platter!) such that they don't interfere with the operation of the turntable. If that helps, then you need to damp the base.

Otherwise, as others have already mentioned:

- Move the turntable to a different location. It could be located in a bass "hot spot" just by coincidence.

- A rumble filter is a good idea, too. Not only will it reduce bass output, it will shift the phase of the bass and possibly destroy the positive feedback loop.

- It may actually be a microphonic cartridge. Try a different cartridge.

I'm out of ideas at this point.

Greg