Garage conversion to cabinet shop for Jamboree build

Pete H

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What grade was your quote for? I'm wondering if there is a higher grade than the B/BB. This seems to be the highest grade sold by the supplier I'm talking to.

http://www.atlanticplywood.com/locations.html

Greg

The grade is the same. I can't get near that price in my area. I'm as low as I can find at the moment. Might have to do with where this material comes into port and additional transportation as you move west????

They charge me only $10 to deliver it right to my shop too!

Greg

I blew the walls full of insulation the last couple of days, but the only good pics would have been of the mess that was made (Clean up still going on, that crap goes everywhere). Update on the fun stuff, Woofers, and mid drivers are on there way from Bob and should get here this week. I moved the split Cornscala project up on the board ahead of the Jamboree so I posted something this morning in the updates and mod section to try and find someone to run the numbers for me on the proposed bass box for this one, but would like to get started on the cutting this week. I have to get over to Pa this weekend to finally pick up my cornwall 2's so I can really judge this build against an original. What's been happening with you lately?

Update. Received a few deliveries yesterday so closer to the official start of one project.

Woofers (check)

Atlas mid drivers (check)

Router attachments for cutting big circles (check)

I guess I'll call my new best friend Bob and go ahead and order the 125's but still debating on the crossover situation???????

As a new member of the dark side, I'll go out on a limb and suggest an active crossover. May be a littel more expensive at the outset due to hardware required, but you can use it on any system and change settings to your hearts content.

Balance the cost vs. the cost of a new passive.

You are probably more knowedgeable than I ever was about crossovers, so it should be a lot easier for you than it was for me. Just a thought.

As a new member of the dark side, I'll go out on a limb and suggest an active crossover. May be a littel more expensive at the outset due to hardware required, but you can use it on any system and change settings to your hearts content.

Balance the cost vs. the cost of a new passive.

You are probably more knowedgeable than I ever was about crossovers, so it should be a lot easier for you than it was for me. Just a thought.

I don't know squat about crossovers, which is why I've just sat back and watched you go through the process, and pain, so I can just ask you. I'm going to pick up an active crossover as I've got enough amps to do it now, but I'm still going to have a set of passives built for a pair of Corwall 2's that will be getting the same upgrades as my build, as I'm only going to have one active system and everything else will be passive. I would assume that after all of your testing and playing with equipment, you would recommend what you ended up with regarding amps and crossover. The only problem I have with my current amps is that they only have standard 1/4 " inputs and I know that I will be changing those amps out to something that will have balanced inputs and that's causing me to really look at which active crossover I'm going with, to try and avoid wiring issues for my present amps.

Pete: First take everything I say with a grain of salt because, as you know, I'm no expert on this stuff. However, I would recommend you get the best crossover you can and worry about the cabling later. You can always pick up relatively inexpensive cables from monoprice.com for whatever combination of connectors you want. It is likely you will end up going though several amps during your journey.

Now, I know some folks bash the Behringer as a poor quality unit, however, I have not had that experience. So far it has been a nice, inexpensive piece. It is quiet and had done what I needed. As you know I also tested the EV DC-ONE, and frankly I wish I still had it to test against the DCX now that I have all the pieces put together. The EV has a very nice GUI and is more capable. It is also 3x the price.

I'm sure there are many amps out there that would fit the bill, I only ended up with what I have by happinstance. I did go through two other amps that i did not like and those were Crown amps for the mid and tweeters. I did not like the D-75 Crown amp due to how noisy it is when turning on and off. The other Crown was a multi-channel pro amp and that thing was very noisy. The noise floor of your system will become a big issue with high efficiency horn speakers. I did keep and do like the Crown K1 for my woofers. It only has a slight annoyance that is its sleep circuit. But, I now have the knowledge on how to bypass that feature.

Feel free to ask about my experience, but remember that I too have just learned. I can share lessons learned and save you some time and money. I will say, that the effort will be worth it once you start playing with your new setup. You will have immense flexibility that you do not have with a passive crossover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...