Garage conversion to cabinet shop for Jamboree build

Pete H

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, all I got done last night was to move materials inside that I had delivered and insulate and frame 2 wall sections.

Let's get with the program, work faster! Big Smile

I'm sorry Rudy, I'll try and do better. I know that everyone just wants me to get going on the speaker build and don't care about the garage pictures.[:'(] How have you been?

Pete, I'm good..you are obviously doing well but busy. I'm just excited about the prospects. I have been busy learning to actively crossover my Khorns as an experiment. I got a hold of an EV DC-ONE and am working on that. I hope it will eventually lead to a Jubilee or Jamboree clone project, actively crossed.

Please keep us posted on the process. Enjoy the journey!

I have been posting my progress, as well as my ignorance, on this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/128607.aspx?PageIndex=1

If you have a chance to read it you can see, I have gotten tremendous help on active crossovers from our very knowledgable members. I should have everything up and running this week. From what I have seen thus far, I like the flexibility and options the active crossover presents. There are several other benefits to connecting the amplfier directly to the drivers. The two biggest benefits are the ability to time align and change the crossover type and slope. I am still working on a noise floor problem, "hiss", caused by the efficiency of the Khorns and the gain on the DC-ONE. Should have this worked out soon.

I plan on taking measurements of driver response, so keep an eye on the thread if you are interested.

I am very interested in your project as you know. BTW, what table saw do you have? I think good tools are half the battle to a quality cabinet.

Dana's plans are not exact, you will need to modify sizing and angles on some pieces. Do your own layout and check everything before cutting.

Dana had sent me a set of plans for his Ascent cabinets, to have me check them over. He hadn't marked some of the cuts to be compound angles, and insisted they didn't need to be. I finally convinced him of the need if he were ever to have the pieces machined, and that they would fit together much better.I just went back and relearned some trig, and did the calculations to arrive at the right answers. He just draws everything out on butcher paper and measures. They both work...

How much does one of the Jamboree cabinets weigh with the two 15s installed?

Bruce

I finally found a source for Baltic Birch 18mm 5'x5' plywood about an hour and 20 minutes from me for $56.00 per sheet. Still expensive, but the best deal I have been able to find thus far. If I'm paying too much, please chime in.

Do they offer different grades?

I got a quote on 13-ply, 18mil, B-BB grade for $58.68 per 5' x 5' sheet.

Greg

I finally found a source for Baltic Birch 18mm 5'x5' plywood about an hour and 20 minutes from me for $56.00 per sheet. Still expensive, but the best deal I have been able to find thus far. If I'm paying too much, please chime in.

Do they offer different grades?

I got a quote on 13-ply, 18mil, B-BB grade for $58.68 per 5' x 5' sheet.

Greg

Hi Greg, that's exactly what they stock and quoted me on, so it sounds like a fair price. I've seen it as high as 90 per sheet for the same thing on the internet. I did find some Finnish Birch plywood that makes Baltic Birch look like a real bargin, but I'm drawing the line at Baltic Birch.

Slave drivers, now I have 3 of you telling me to get back to work..LOL I should have some substantial progress after this weekend. It's been busy at the office, which is wonderful in this economy and this time of year, so I shouldn't complain. It's just impossible to make any progress after work so I'm taking a 3 day weekend to try and get the walls, ceiling and electrical done, including changin (can't take 15 years in South Carlolina outta me) out the panel box, oh and rip out the entrance door, replace the rotted T-111 and install the new door, and paint everything and install all the new lighting, build the ...........................OK, I'll just stop there, as my expectations for the 3 days is getting unrealistic. If I had to do this over again, I would have had a storage container dropped and moved all of the crap, that I've been moving around, stored in there. I have wasted more time moving stuff than building, and after 20+ years, I should know better. Thanks Bill, I fell better now after whining and bit*&ing about it and actually have a big [:D] on my face. I'm going to grab a few cold ones and go out and crank up the Sansui with a dead right channel and get some wiring done. The next visit to Beaufort, I'm going to pay you a visit and listen to your gear![ip][8]

Slave drivers, now I have 3 of you telling me to get back to work..LOL I should have some substantial progress after this weekend. It's been busy at the office, which is wonderful in this economy and this time of year, so I shouldn't complain. It's just impossible to make any progress after work so I'm taking a 3 day weekend to try and get the walls, ceiling and electrical done, including changin (can't take 15 years in South Carlolina outta me) out the panel box, oh and rip out the entrance door, replace the rotted T-111 and install the new door, and paint everything and install all the new lighting, build the ...........................OK, I'll just stop there, as my expectations for the 3 days is getting unrealistic. If I had to do this over again, I would have had a storage container dropped and moved all of the crap, that I've been moving around, stored in there. I have wasted more time moving stuff than building, and after 20+ years, I should know better. Thanks Bill, I fell better now after whining and bit*&ing about it and actually have a big Big Smile on my face. I'm going to grab a few cold ones and go out and crank up the Sansui with a dead right channel and get some wiring done. The next visit to Beaufort, I'm going to pay you a visit and listen to your gear!ParadiseBeerMusic

OK, I actually got something done tonight and keep in mind, you have to have the correct tools. One bottle opener

post-34280-13819538325816_thumb.jpg

post-34280-13819553590336_thumb.jpg

post-34280-13819566497914_thumb.jpg