Has anyone had experience with the new hk 3490

Montigue231

Im very impressed with the new look of the Harman Kardon A/V receivers. In paticular the 2 channel 3490 is quite impressive with 120 watts x2 (high current) for less than 300 bucks at my local electronic store here....Seems like an awesome bang for the buck.... IS there anyone here thats hooked it up to a pair of Klipsch?

I bought a refurbished HK 3480 a month ago ($140 - Craigslist) and it had problems. Warranty was still good, the seller was very cool and arranged the return, so HK is sending me a new one. HK even paid the return shipping.

OK, here's what I'm getting at. I read somewhere in the past that they sometimes upgrade the replacement receiver to the next model. Don't know if they are doing this with me, but I'll let you know. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

All this to say.....I don't know!

Hi Monty,

I guess I missed this thread when you first posted it? I have had one for about six months and it's a great piece. I have it running my living room system and it works flawlessly. My wife even likes the look of the blue dial, bonus! The only issue I found was the owners manual didn't explain setting up the digital inputs. They may have corrected that as I found the instructions on Harman's web site. It's hard to lose the remote also as the thing is huge! I think it is a great bang for the buck receiver!

Take care,

Mark

rivernuggets let us know how it turns out..

Got it today around 10 am. It's the HK 3480, same model but different unit than the one I returned. They replaced it with another refurbished. Opened it up and let it get to room temperature (hour or so). Fired it up and.....I'll have to send it back. Music cut in and out whenever it wanted. Didn't matter what source was used or which speaker set (A or B). The symptom worsened over 10 minutes where the silence was 80% of the time. My understanding of refurbished is it has been tested the same as a new one and should work like new. Weird to get two bad ones in a row.

Maybe this means that I've filled my quota in the 'returns' category for a few years to come. Glad to get that out of the way, whew!

Man, that really sucks! I had a 3480 before I got the 3490 and it is still working like new. I gave it to my brother who uses it every day. The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted the digital inputs of the 3490. Harman is usually very good about backing their products but I would be very suspicious of the "refurb" units if I were in your shoes. I would also be questioning their quality control as well! I have read the economy has hit them pretty hard but that is still no excuse for what you have gone through. I think I would demand a new unit or my money back! Just my $.02.

If Bonzo says is good enough for him,,then its good enough for me[Y]..ty Srgt Bonzo for your input [:D]... 120 watts @45amps with pre outs and a tuner for 300 bucks and looks sleek and cool.Thats a great bargain man... I will keep my yamaha for 5.1 and the HK for 2channel.

Rivernuggets, thats what u call bad luck. bummer bro...I think HK should make this right for you and send u a new 3490...If I were you I would call them up and make a stink about it..Maybe they will send you a new one after two bad ones...I bet they would if you talk to the right person..And dont call just once

luckyduck,

I dont have the chorus speakers anymore, I sold them to Bonzo. I had a 90 watt yamaha hooked to the chorus II's and it was driving them with authority. Like all the heritage, Chorus II's can be driven with low wattage and sound amazing. If hooked with the HK 3490 the chorus II's will flat out perform..ive no doubt about that

• 2 years later...

Hi there Klipsch Family. NewB here. I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add my experience. I have RF 3s and just picked up the Harmon 3490 to replace an old Sony receiver. I was really hoping the Harmon would "wake up" the RF 3s, but for some reason it sounds like the RF 3s are missing something. I have played with the treble and bass and it sounds good, but nothing what I expected. I was hoping for a fuller soundstage. Being a drummer, I love the high hat sounds and cymbal rides...so with this set up I basically have the treble all the way up and the bass about 3/4 way to get a sound I like....just don't love.

Any suggestions?

I listed to mostly rock, classic / heavy, along with some jazz / blues.

Hi there Klipsch Family. NewB here. I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add my experience. I have RF 3s and just picked up the Harmon 3490 to replace an old Sony receiver. I was really hoping the Harmon would "wake up" the RF 3s, but for some reason it sounds like the RF 3s are missing something. I have played with the treble and bass and it sounds good, but nothing what I expected. I was hoping for a fuller soundstage. Being a drummer, I love the high hat sounds and cymbal rides...so with this set up I basically have the treble all the way up and the bass about 3/4 way to get a sound I like....just don't love.

Any suggestions?

I listed to mostly rock, classic / heavy, along with some jazz / blues.

How big is the room? Placement may be playing a role here with the room size. I ran RF-3's with 3490 for a while and found it to be a great combo, but the room was a 17'X18'. Had to play around with location a bit but it was well worth it.

Hey Styx. Thanks for the reply. The room is about 10ft x 20ft. Hardwood floors. Thin curtains and three pieces of furniture. One area rug. The speakers are about 8 ft apart and 10" from wall. The speakers are also against the 10ft wall area.

How did you have your treble / bass set?

Thank you for all the assistance.

I moved them around as you suggested. Sounds a bit better. I have them about 1.5ft from the wall and needed to decrease the bass a little. on the receiver. I toed them in slightly. Wife came home as tape was on the floor and thought I was nuts. haha

The treble is still pegged (Which is odd since the Klipsch are known for the horns). I have an old Cambridge 8S powered sub I can try. Maybe this will allow the woofers to allow some mid-range.

The Sony was ok. It was a HT Model so I adjusted it to 2 Channel mode. I did like the EQ setting in the Sony, but I just couldn't get the soundstage I wanted so after much research and budget, I went for the HK3490.

The treble is still pegged (Which is odd since the Klipsch are known for the horns). I have an old Cambridge 8S powered sub I can try. Maybe this will allow the woofers to allow some mid-range.

Double check that you did not accidently hook up your speakers "out of phase" or "backwards" from each other. That is, all the '+'s to the '+'s and '-'s to the '-'s as well as all the reds to reds and blacks to blacks on both sides. I don't have any experience with the HK 3490, but the specs should indicate that this thing should have no trouble driving a pair of RF-3s and do it with authority. Wish I knew about that unit as it would've been excellent to drive my outdoor rig, but quite happy with the Denon DRA-397 that I am using for such purposes, albight a bit more expenive at $500 than the HK unit.