fixes for sub crawl?

Thaddeus Smith

I know i've read some remedies somewhere, but all the searches I can come up with refer to the method of crawling around to find the best placement. i'm experiencing a new issue of my sub crawling on the hardwood floors as I watch movies.

what i recall:

turning down (blasphemy!)

foam block?

rubber furniture feet pads ..the sub seems to jump so not sure how this will help?

so what's the best known fix, or a link to what I'm looking for?

- michael

turning down (blasphemy!)

What kind of fix is that!

Mine is on carpet so it does not move at all.

The sub has rubber feet so it doesn't seem like feet pads would do much.

Maybe a throw rug might help.

If you don't want something that shows maybe a foam or rubber padding cut the shape of the sub (but just slightly smaller) would work.

if i can figure out the aesthetic hurdle of a random chunk of carpet on the floor ..probably the best bet.i definitely need to do something ..was watching "Sunshine" last night (one of my fav sci-fi thrillers) and towards the end is nothing but LFE ..the sub was going crazy and I had to keep moving it back into position. i was grinning the whole time :)

Between you and your wife, I'm sure you'll come up with a solution that's asthetically pleasing. You both have that knack. I'd start first using random materials and see what type material works the best at holding the sub in place. After you find the substance that works the best you can work on something that will work with your rooms decor. Function, then asthetics.

Maybe try going to a carpet store and ask if they have a small scrap piece they can give you. Preferably something dark and thick piled. Then cut the carpet piece to the subs shape slightly smaller but large enough to be under the feet.

sounds good, i'll start there and see what I can come up with. option b is to construct an elaborate bracket and bolt that B to the floor. i'm sorta kidding ..

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get it fixed? If not most people I know with this problem put a slabs of granite or two on top works every time and they say they get better sounding bass too

I would think that acousticaly the granite would be the best solution. When you use rubber feet, the sub still moves (slightly) and the rubber feet act as a vibration buffer. The sub moves, the rubber feet flex and then return the sub to the original position. You are using the energy of the drivers to move the sub when you want the sub drivers to be moving the air around it. The granite would make the sub completely stationary and the drivers energy would be used to make sound rather than be wasted in cabinet movement.

i cut a triangle piece out of the yoga mat my wife bought me (but never used) and it seems to work quite well as a gasket between feet and floor. Latest drama in the "i'm to cheap to drop coin on a new sub" saga ...a clicking noise behind the cone at low HZ/high volume. I pulled the woofer and couldnt see anything loose and nothing rattles when shaken. slight pressure on the rubber surround causes the cone to creak ...when put into context of a single frame in a movie, that creak is probably my clicking noise.

So, I just have to save my lunch money for a few weeks so I can buy a $188 + shipping + tax woofer replacement. The good news is that the sub will be nearly new and my $50 free goldfish project will draw to a close. :)

I see two glaring issues here. First and foremost, you really SHOULD use the yoga mat. Secondly, the HT project as a whole will never draw to a close.