Klipsch Heresy cabinet question - Plywood veneer verses hardwood

timyoung

I think the main reason people cite for using plywood over solid planks is plywoods resistance to environmental changes.

That and I think(no technical data to back this up) that the cross laminations in plywood may do a better job at absorbing vibrations than solid woods.

-Josh

Hi Josh, thanks for the comments. I know plywoods and MDF are more stabel that hardwoods. Hardwoods have the tendancy to expand and contract with the amount of moisture. But I don't see hardwood moving taht much indoors. Outside without a doubt you see lots of movement. I'll keep researching. Thanks, Tim

That's what I was wondering. Also, I think you have more flexibility in your manufacturing process if you make one box out of plywood or MDF, then add veneer based on sales orders or history. I would prefer to make it out of hardwood. For me it would be easier. I've watched a couple youtube videos and adding the veneer looks pretty simple. Thanks

Several factors.... and you've identified them... Plywood is far more resilient to changes in temperatures and, more importantly, humidity. Humidity, when a hardwood absorbs and sheds, so to speake, changes dimensions. Unfortunately, hardwood also will tend to warp, unless completely sealed, etc. The other factor is cost. For many years now, sheets of true hardwood (not "lumbercore" or thin width sheets joined together) of a sufficient size are simply outrageous in cost. The width of the Heresy would be, by default, the diameter of the tree.... That represents old growth and old growth is a premium. In terms of "dampening" MDF has always been better as the particles from which it is made are not "aligned" and the length of the particles do not generally produce unwanted harmonics. Sam applies to a large degree with plywood. From the "cost" standpoint, as well as resilience to humidity and heat, and the resonance dampening factor is why most speakers (quality ones anyways) are made from those two materials. In addition, look at it from the point of view of having massive choices in terms of veneer. The veneer used by Klipsch, and by most Forum members when reveneering, is of a high quality and with the appropriate glue and application techniques, is not going to come off anytime soon. The use of MDF or plywood as the "substrate" opens up almost unlimited choices in veneer wood and finish types (oil, poly, lacquer, etc.).

Hope that is of some assistance.

Thank you for the reply. Stopped by Woodcraft to look at some of the veneers. Talked with one of the guys there and he said it wasn't to difficult. In addition to the new HT center I have to build, I have (5) heresy's to reveneer. Should keep me busy for a while. THANKS