Amp for surrounds - ok to go cheap?

wuzzzer

I'm trying to come up with the most economical way to integrate the new Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp into my system. If I did get it, I'd have to get an amp to power my surrounds since my main amp has only 2 channels.

Ideally, I'd love to replace my UPA-2 with the UPA-5 amp. But, here's the $$ for that switch:

$719 UMC-1 (shipped)

$574 UPA-5 (shipped)

-$400 (sell my SR7001)

-$225 (sell my UPA-2)

$668 out of pocket

Or, I could get a cheap amp for my surrounds for, let's say $150. Then here's the $$:

$719 UMC-1 (shipped)

$150 (cheap amp for surrounds)

-$400 (sell my SR7001)

$ 469 out of pocket

The difference of $200 would really make me lean towards option #2. I'm not going to worry about anything related to powering a center speaker since my basement is very narrow, my Fortes image perfectly and my TV stand won't fit anything that would timbre match the Fortes.

Just a thought,Emo has a new 2ch amp 75x2 thats gonna be $99,out in a couple months?.I'm pretty sure I have that right but I'll check.

I checked,it's a zone amp DZA-1,wth trigger,but it has a volume knob so that may not be the best solution.

If I did get it, I'd have to get an amp to power my surrounds since my main amp has only 2 channels.

Wuzzzer,

You might want to try one of these. Very basic but should meet your needs and on the cheap.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1268859300&/Onkyo-M-282-2-Channel-Amp

Another option in my neck of the woods. No affiliation.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/1540847392.html

Bill