Windows XP users which flac do you use

The Dude

So I just rebooted windows XP on my comp. I currently have no music on it yet for play back. I am using a Behringer fca 202 for audio play back. Is flac going to be much better or should I just stick with windows media. I have seen some use one or the other, just wanted to get a little more feed back before I spend my time with anything.

Also which flac program are you all using I seen a couple on the flac facts web page but don't know which ones to go with. I am looking for maybe a free download.

Thanks

Duder

I liked the fact I am able to pull a remote player up on my ps3 with this winamp. One things is for sure it seems to bog my comp down, this probably because I only have 2.4ghz processor. How do I know it is downloading in the best format, flac for instance. I noticed the transfer rate is 128kbps, this is the same as windows media player. But from what I understand windows media player only downloads in wma. Does the transfer rate not have any thing to do with this. As you may tell I am learning about this stuff as I go.. Thank you all for being patient with me. Duder

Ripping in FLAC is very hard on any machine....your computer needs to stream the audio off the CD-ROM and at the same time implement the FLAC compression, and then write it out to your harddrive. It's both memory and processing intensive. When ripping a CD, I just leave the computer alone and come back when it's finished. This is the only way I've been able to guarantee no clicks or pops in the file.

If you want to make it easier on your machine, then you could always lower the compression rate - this reduces the amount of processing needed while ripping, but results in larger file sizes.

I have learned to walk away as well, I am enjoying the program. I do know that my cd-rom drive is getting to the point of needing replaced. Is there any drives any recommend Talking about pops another subject real quick, when ever something on the same circuit as my system gets plugged in or turned on I get a loud pop through the speakers. Anyone now why this might be and how to take care of it.

Ripping in FLAC is very hard on any machine....your computer needs to stream the audio off the CD-ROM and at the same time implement the FLAC compression, and then write it out to your harddrive. It's both memory and processing intensive. When ripping a CD, I just leave the computer alone and come back when it's finished. This is the only way I've been able to guarantee no clicks or pops in the file.

If you want to make it easier on your machine, then you could always lower the compression rate - this reduces the amount of processing needed while ripping, but results in larger file sizes.

How do you go about lowering the compression rate, will affect the quality.

I must say that even stuff that was compressed on my ipod sounds so much better now. I am listening to The Beatles all over again.