1975 Cornwall power handling

hanaleimike

Hi, I just got a new c220/mc352 McIntosh combo for my Cornwalls. Yes it sounds amazing, too good maybe. I kept turning up the volume and there is no distortion or stressing at all. I don't listen really loud, but I like to know my limits, and it sounds so insane It scares me. It's kind of like tuning a G string, I think it's going to just snap and a 15" driver is going to come shooting at my head from across the room.

Can these Cornwalls handle all that the mc352 can muster? I am really good at wrecking things, and I would hate to damage these speakers. Can I assume there will be some sort of distortion or warning before something bad happens, or will they just go boom. I read that the new Cornwall III's have 400 peak limits. I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Mike

It would be a good thing to rework the crossover in those if they haven't been touched yet, 1959 is a loooong time ago!!!

Though that Ebay add said 1000 watts I wouldn't push them too far without a rework on the crossovers.

It's a relatively cheap fix.

Can I assume there will be some sort of distortion or warning before something bad happens, or will they just go boom.

No, the tweeter will go quiet. Don't try to impress the neighbors, play at a reasonable volume, your ears will thank you.

Thanx, Russ

It would be a good thing to rework the crossover in those if they haven't been touched yet, 1959 is a loooong time ago!!!

Though that Ebay add said 1000 watts I wouldn't push them too far without a rework on the crossovers.

It's a relatively cheap fix.

I'm not sure what the 1959 and 'that Ebay add' refers to. If you're talking about the link I put in my post it is a link from this website, not eBay.

Don't hurt your self; you can, you know...

Noah

A 2 year old screaming in your ear from less than a foot away is WAY more painful than any volume level I ever took the Cornwalls... and certainly less musical! I admit that I had a lot of dial left before getting too nervous.

...and I don't have that amp that goes to "11" [;)]

Can I assume there will be some sort of distortion or warning before something bad happens, or will they just go boom.

No, the tweeter will go quiet. Don't try to impress the neighbors, play at a reasonable volume, your ears will thank you.

Thanx, Russ

This is good advice. You should add some fuses to the tweeters or the entire speaker. Look at the schematic for the ALK universals for the specs.

If you like to listen loud, buy a RAT Shak DB meter and monitor your listening habits or you will not be able to enjoy this hobby when you get older. Tinnitus sucks.