The Corvette of Loudspeakers? Bang for the Buck limit?

o0O Bill O0o

I am with you Chris

I just replaced a pair of B&W Signature 800's (the actual Sig 800's http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600/#) with a pair of Pioneer S-1EX speakers which are actually TAD speakers (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/). (I know, but at least the articles are something to go by).

I also suggest the B&W N802's as a great bargain right now (around $4000 if you are patient) but they need serious amplification so are ultimately more expensive.

Chris

I have heard the N802s and they are great, but the amplification plus there cost is just to much for me to justify... and I am a if really want it nothing will stop me from getting consumer.

B&W 800 Series Diamond at CES 2010

bw02.jpg

5 x B&W 802D home theater

40965.jpg

41155.jpg

I have read about the Pioneer speakers. TAD drivers were a part of my dream fully loaded horn speaker system I dreamt up in college. I can only imagine the translation of Pioneer Technical Audio Devices Division to the consumer.

The vintage 'vettes are nice, but nothing beats what the current C6 offers.

• Moderators

Klipschorn or Jubulies are expensive high quality systems but definitely not price leaders. Please don't flame me too hard, please.

No need to flame at all, in the end it's all just personal choice as to what sound you like.

To me I would put a $2000-2500 pair of Khorns up against any others in that price range used.

Also I would put the Jub's at way under 10K new against any in the 20K range.

Considering all are set up properly, they may not always win but they will do very well.

Of course every listeners taste is different, so considering that my opinion is just that, my taste which makes all this is just [bs]............[:D] [;)]

I am with you Chris

I just replaced a pair of B&W Signature 800's (the actual Sig 800's http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600/#) with a pair of Pioneer S-1EX speakers which are actually TAD speakers (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/). (I know, but at least the articles are something to go by).

I also suggest the B&W N802's as a great bargain right now (around $4000 if you are patient) but they need serious amplification so are ultimately more expensive.

Chris

Bill,

You really need to take a look at the Pioneer Speakers that I posted a link to. They are in Ohio and in your price range.

Chris

Chris,

I did take note of your great find! However, I am not in the US right now. Therefore, I must decline your offer. I am in the planning phase of my home audio and once I return I will move forward with some improvements.

Right now, I found a killer deal on some JBL 4645C's so I am off in pro-audo internet land, and I am always longing for and additional walnut LaScala..

To me I would put a $2000-2500 pair of Khorns up against any others in that price range used.

Dtel, no question a pair of 2500 buck Khorns is an audiophile bargain but the question was bang for the buck Corvette of loudspeakers, that's a reference to a new Corvette, not a big block 1967. The most performance for the best price. The reference is for products that are fighting well over their weight class. The Maggie 1.6 is the de facto standard for this at less than 2000 bucks new, the Klipschorn is $8000. I think that makes the Klipschorn the Lamborghini of loudspeakers.

Thanx, Russ

Russ, You had asked me about the Maggies at THE Show. I did go to the room but we were all seated and the room was full. I could not really hear them with people in front of me, hard to listen to a tall speaker when 2/3rd is covered by the guys in front of you.

I love going to hi-fi shows but you are right, it's hard to really hear anything in a show demo. Even I can "wow" the crowd if I get to play my music demo on my setup. Thanx for remembering.

Thanx, Russ

New, Heresy III , RF-7

I love my new Heresy IIIs and I have them in a very nice system but they are not even close to my MMGs as a reference (performance) system. Horns are exceptional for what they do well (and I like them) but there is too much trade off for efficiency to suit my particular taste. (I don't believe I just said that on this forum, I'm going to burn in hell, aren't I ? ).

Entry level under 600 new: Magnepan MMG

Mid-range under 2000 new: Magnepan 1.6

Top tier: Magnepan 20.1

Uber: Genesis 1.2

Thanx, Russ

Edit: It's been a long day and I'm not responsible for content posted after 12 o'clock at night, I'm not selling my Heresys...........

Are you gonna buy some Magnepans?

The issue, I feel, is that you need to get some power behind Magnepans AND add a subwoofer.. so the bang for the buck drops after you get everything setup. meaning sub+amp+MMG= System.

STILL you spend $600 on MMG and add a sub and a power amp... total for less than 2K, from your opinion, one would have a killer system at equal cost.

Heresys need a sub too, but the RF-7s do not need anything to make a true full-range system, hence bang for the buck, wire to amp/receiver and push play.

Additionally, Heresys + a subwoofer should equal something that comes close to the MMG performance with out the need for a high output power amp.

but the RF-7s do not need anything to make a true full-range system, hence bang for the buck, wire to amp/receiver and push play.

That's a good argument, the RF-7s and a receiver will be a nice set-up for the total cost.

Additionally, Heresys + a subwoofer should equal something that comes close to the MMG performance

No, not close. If you look at my system profile, you'll see I have some experience with these two.

Thanx, Russ

jacksonbart, what no top notch? I'm crushed :(

For years I've considered the Klipschorn to be the Corvette of speakers (and the Corvette the Klipschorn of sportscars). The Klipschorn isn't cheap by most people's standards, but neither is a brand new Corvette. The nice thing about the K-horns is that they will still run just fine many years down the road. You can't say that about a Maggie. Compare the maintenance of a Corvette to that of a Ferrari and you see the similarities to the Khorn again.

Performance right up there with the best of 'em but not with the exotic price tag. Both the Corvette and Klipschorn fit that description in my mind.

Corvette

The nice thing about the K-horns is that they will still run just fine many years down the road. You can't say that about a Maggie.

Why is that? I've owned a couple of pairs of Maggies and they were more maintenance free than many other speakers I've owned... including Klipsch. Maggies have no foam, paper or rubber woofer surrounds to erode. No cabinets requiring periodic oiling, etc. And the tales of Maggies needing rebuilding are oft exaggerated in my opinion. Two factors contribute to Magnepans failing, climate and amplifier choice. Underdriving Maggies are often a problem causing amplifier clipping and eventual damage. I've owned 1.4 and 1.6 Maggies and drove them both with as much as 600 watts all the while bypassing the protective fuses... no problems whatsoever.

For years I've considered the Klipschorn to be the Corvette of speakers (and the Corvette the Klipschorn of sportscars).

For me, Maggies are the ultimate representation of the Corvette in the audio industry. At the heart of any car is the engine and Corvettes have always been famed for their power output from their V8 engines. Amplifiers are the engine of the audio world, and while most choose low powered, small tube amps for their Khorns it seems the "massive" amps required to drive Maggies would have more similarities to a Corvette's engine. Also, Corvettes have long been considered the "cheap" supercar. Certainly not cheap by anyones standard but when compared with cars that perform similarly they have an obvious value advantage. The other supercars may boast finer build quality and German or Italian pedigrees but the Corvette is the quintessential "cheap" streetfighter boasting horsepower and performance above all else. Much like the Corvette, the Magnepan speaker has few frills (no fancy cabinets), and the design is all about performance. The Khorn, in addition to being too expensive (comparatively) is also too fancy and well built to be a Corvette. [;)]

Well I've never owned Maggies so maybe I've been misled. But my understanding is that it's very typical that after about ten years or so their adhesives dry out and major overhauls are needed or something to that effect. Again, no proof on my part, so maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems I've heard that more than once and I can see how the environment would have a big say in that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Maggie sound and planars in general. On more than one occasions I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a pair. The biggest deterrent to that is what I've mentioned above. Many years ago someone was selling a set for cheap and I was on my way all set to purchase them, only to be very disappointed in the sound and leading me to think it had to do with their age. I didn't buy them. I do happen to own a pair of Apogees by the way.

So Corvettes are not inexpensive relatively speaking (and neither are Klipschorns) -- I still think they are more appropriately matched to the Klipschorns. Remember that Corvettes (and Cadilacs) get all the fancy stuff first before they go in the rest of the GM line. Maybe Maggies are the Mustang of loudspeakers. Phonetically, that matches better for both cases...[;)]