Modern 7.1 Receivers With Auto Equalization And Front Effects Speakers

ka7niq

I have an older YAMAHA RX V1 Flagship receiver that uses Yamahas Cinema DSP. I like the front effect channels that go above the main speakers, it really deepens the front soundfield. My RX V1 , though once YAMaha's best receiver, lacks some common things found on mid level receivers of today. Things like auto eq, variable bass management, HDMI, etc, etc, etc. There are several new technologies like Audessy, Dolb Pro Logic IIz, and Logic 7 that look really cool. Lets talk aboutthe new technology, particulary the Dynamic EQ from Audessey ? I hear a system with it, and it was ereally nice. I think it is time to say goodbye to my trusty old friend, the Yamaha RX V1. It has served me well, I will miss it's powerful amps, but newer receivers allow for bi amp!!!! I am simply amazed at all that is availiable today, for little money! The little Onkyo 807 looks really tough to beat, but lets all take a look, and see what anyone else thinks, particularly using these amps with Klipsch Heritage Speakers ?

Seems to be a war going on between Dolby II z and Audessey ?

Only Yamaha used front effects speakers, at one time, but now several competing technologies are starting to emerge, read all about it here http://www.hemagazine.com/Dolby_Pro_Logic_IIz_vs_Audyssey_DSX

I am leaning towareds the Audessey from Tom Holman, the TH in THX. I owned an old APT amp/preamp from him I really enjoyed. The Audessey system stretches the sound stage in width and height, but maybe Dolby II z is allI need, since I mostly use my front effects speakers for movies. I used to play with ADS model 10 digital time delays back in the 80's, and had great stereo results with two wall mounted, side firing delay speakers, it made sounds stage really wide, w/o effecting the musuc, when adjusted right! The Audyessey surround in only abailiable on some higher priced receivers, for now.

I think the Onkyo 807 is the lowest priced one to have it ?

Here is the unique Audyssey auto eq in action http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/807hook/

Sherwood has a really cool auto EQ in their Newcastel receivers, but they lack Dolby 2II z and Audyssey Surround capabilitys.

The Onkyo 707 looks like THE best value in a mid priced receiver, as of this writing 1 29 2010.

The Onkyo RC 180 is basically the same as the Onkyo 807, it has a little more power.

I've got both the TX-SR707 & an TX-NR 807 I love them ! set-up is complicated if you don't know what your doing but *** get them dailed in & Jeeez !!!!!!! WoW

THe Onkyo RC 180 is basically an Onkyo 807, It sure looks like THE best receiiver, by far, for the money.

I am still shopping around, might wait until refurbs availiable ?

I really like the bi amp feature!!!

got the 807 cause i wanted the network feature & got a killer price 699 shipped free ! the extra watts never hurt anybody

;p

Mike

I've got both the TX-SR707 & an TX-NR 807 I love them ! set-up is complicated if you don't know what your doing but *** get them dailed in & Jeeez !!!!!!! WoW

THe Onkyo RC 180 is basically an Onkyo 807, It sure looks like THE best receiiver, by far, for the money.

I am still shopping around, might wait until refurbs availiable ?

I really like the bi amp feature!!!

That price on the Denon 1910 is hard to beat, Take a look at dakmart they are an authorized denon dealer and sell factury refurbished units with warranties.

The Denons Scare me, have had 3 Denon Flagships, every one thin & bright sounding!

Looking more at Onkyo RC 180 or Onkyo 807

Gotta have all ch pre outs!

I like the Audyssey DSX surround , and Denon aint got, until you spend 1500 up.

The Onkyo's have BOTH Dolby 11 z and Audyssey DSX surround.

I may have to just be patient, and wait until refurbs become availiable.

MY experiences with "refurbs" is they are seldom refurbs at all.

It is a way for a manufacturer capture us cheapskates, w/o whoring up their product, LOL

Sherwoood has a really really cool auto EQ system, but little else.

Unless Denon fights back with a lower price receiver, Onkyo is gonna kick their buttts, IMHO.

I just put my Yamaha RX V1 up for sale today, and already have bites on it from Craigslist Tampa.

Since I learned about The Audyssey DSX Surround chip, Yamaha is OUT of my considerations.

Yamaha has their OWN system, but I feel the Audyssey DSX is superior.

Remember, it is Tomlinson Holman behind Audyssey, the TH in THX.

I BELIEVE in Tom Holman, and I want to own his latest stuff.

I probably wouldn't have minded going with an Onkyo, except whenever I have ever been around an Onkyo and felt how insanely hot they run at nominal volumes it really scares me in terms of longevity.

The heat issues aside I think that Denon and Onkyo are very similar as far as features, though you will have slightly different price points usually with Onkyo being cheaper (but may be because of cheaper components which causes the high operating temps?)

I have a few Onkyo receivers including a TX 805 and I've stated this in the past but I'll state it again IMHO they are great for HT and offer a solid value but the newer models lack for straight 2 channel listening. My 20+ year old Integra 890 kills the 805 in audio. I have listened to some great Cambridge Audio gear that did both very well. I still use my 805 for HT and am very satisfied with it, but run other systems for straight audio.

I will say that my (used) TX SR702 (100w X7) kicks some butt!!!!! ($140 was a steal in my opinion)

I am right now listening to 2 channel stereo on my 30 yr old Heresies and MY GOD!!!!!

I am sure there are other dedicated 2 channel set ups, tube amps, etc. that would sound even better, but this is the best multifunctional setup I have heard...... My friends like me, but they HATE me. [H]

My 5.1 Kenwood (VR407, 100W X5) did stereo well also, but this Onkyo blows it away. The Kwood lacked a bit doing the HT stuff, played with calibrating for HOURS.... never could get it seemless.....

The Onkyo for HT, once calibrated..... seamless surround. Night and day difference......

Yes.... Retire the Yamaha, and if you can find slightly used, best bang for buck in my opinion.......

Good luck and let us know what you do.....

I have a few Onkyo receivers including a TX 805 and I've stated this in the past but I'll state it again IMHO they are great for HT and offer a solid value but the newer models lack for straight 2 channel listening. My 20+ year old Integra 890 kills the 805 in audio. I have listened to some great Cambridge Audio gear that did both very well. I still use my 805 for HT and am very satisfied with it, but run other systems for straight audio.

Guess what I got, yep, an ONKYO TX SV 919 THX Ultra certified, the worlds very first THX Ultra receiver.

That SOB sounds great, and so does Yamaha RX V1, kinda scared downgrading to mid price 27 lbs receivers I may be dissappointed.

Onkyo makes a HT RC 180 that weighs considerably more them most mid priced receivers, and has everything I want.

GOT to have pre outs, but even with pre outs, if the preamp suks, it will still sound like chit.

I have a JVC RX DP 9, and on my old Von Schweikere VR 4 Jr's, it was amazing, imaged all over, rich, warm, powerful sound.

It took my BEST seperates to beat it, and it was as goood as anything on several pairs of Klipschorns, Forte's, and Speaker Lab K's.

THAT is one sleeper of a receiver, but it dont have HDMI, audyssey, auto and dynamic EQ, and that is the kind of things I want.

Though I have tons of high end stuff, I still get excited looking at, and comparing mid priced recievers, and listening to the opinions and experiences of the cool people on this forum!

I really like a receiver with bi amp option, especially if speakers are a tad bright.

Just reduce the top amps gain, and presto, warm, rich sound.

The Denons I have bowned were like nails on glass, and to be perfectly honest, I have an old top of the regular line Onkyo that was cruel and unusual punishment to listen to!

But the Big Onkyo 919 is a really fine sounding reciever, with an excellent tuner.

I will say that my (used) TX SR702 (100w X7) kicks some butt!!!!! ($140 was a steal in my opinion)

I am right now listening to 2 channel stereo on my 30 yr old Heresies and MY GOD!!!!!

I am sure there are other dedicated 2 channel set ups, tube amps, etc. that would sound even better, but this is the best multifunctional setup I have heard...... My friends like me, but they HATE me. Cool

My 5.1 Kenwood (VR407, 100W X5) did stereo well also, but this Onkyo blows it away. The Kwood lacked a bit doing the HT stuff, played with calibrating for HOURS.... never could get it seemless.....

The Onkyo for HT, once calibrated..... seamless surround. Night and day difference......

Yes.... Retire the Yamaha, and if you can find slightly used, best bang for buck in my opinion.......

Good luck and let us know what you do.....

Thanks Brother, The big Yamaha RX V1 has got old, by todays standards. I have it for sale at 450.00 asking price, and have had a few bites, just listed it on Tampa Cragslist today. I will pull the trigger at THIS point on an Onkyo 807, or an Onkyo HT RC 180.

I liiked some stuff about Sherwood and Marantz, bt No Audyssey Surround, etc, etc.

I have some old audio buddies, high end guys like me, who also have theatres, raving about the Audyssey Surround technology, say it stretches the soundfield in height and width. My friends said once youhear it, you will not want to be w/o it. Yes, The Yamaha RX V1 has Yamaha DSP, but is a PITA to get sounding right, if it ever does, on Music.

For movies, it is great.

Look at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120146&cm_re=onkyo-_-82-120-146-_-Product

It is similar to an Onkyo 607, no pre outs, except subs, do ya really need more then 90 wpc ?

It bi amps too

Yes, it does a lot, bt is Missing one very important to me feature, Audyssey Surround, gotta be careful, Audyssey has 3 technologies, auto eq, dynamic eq, and Audyssey DSX Surround !!

A MUST have, for me, read about it, you may want it too on your next receiver ?

here is a link http://www.audyssey.com/products now go there and click the DSX box, and it will display all the recievers using Audyssey DSX Surround.

Funny, the Denon HT RC 180 has it all, and is not listed ???