loud pops blowing tweeters

The Dude

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I can't take it any more. I have blown one tweeter since this and I don't know what to do about or what the source even is. Could use some help.. But anytime something is turned on, rather it be a light or something plugged in to that circuit I get a loud pop through the system. I just replaced my tweeters about 6 months ago in a great working environment now I have another out which I feel might be to this problem. Anyone got any suggestion, I remember a thread about this before, but I think it was a little different situation. I am a afraid to even listen while the wash machine is going which is 90% of the time.

Thanks in advance

Duder

But anytime something is turned on, rather it be a light or something plugged in to that circuit I get a loud pop through the system.

Are you using a surge protector/ filter for your amp/ receiver/ tv/ dvd/cd/blue ray player?

You should consider it, if you are blowing tweeters from turning lights off and on......

Good luck.

But anytime something is turned on, rather it be a light or something plugged in to that circuit I get a loud pop through the system.

Are you using a surge protector/ filter for your amp/ receiver/ tv/ dvd/cd/blue ray player?

You should consider it, if you are blowing tweeters from turning lights off and on......

Good luck.

I did read about this else were on the web I am using a cheap surge protector, maybe I should consider a filter/conditioner of some sort.

My main concern is that if there is something wrong with the electrical system, I need to find out so I can turn it in for a warranty claim on the house,(was built with a two year warranty) some electrical problems are covered.

I have a start, I will try a couple of things next weekend when I have time.

Thanks

duder

are you using a cheater plug some where on any of your equipment? It sounds like you have a ground issue,.

When you shut your system down the leftover electricity needs somewhere to discharge, the the easiest most direct path could be your speakers hence the pop.

Another issue which would still be a ground issue is that the circuit you have your system on is arching somewhere when you flip a switch, or you're getting feed back from other devices in the house, IE the washer/dryer, refrigerator, microwave.

Try another circuit in the house, then try a conditioner.

OPPD also has a full house surge protector which you could look into then let them pay for the damage.

I was looking into the OPPD Surge protector, the guys at The Sound Environment said it doesn't hurt as a back up. But do not rely on it. I have just ran a extension cord to another circuit and I don't get the pop issue so I believe it is that exact circuit, is that a bad ground issue. If so I guess it could be anywhere in the chain of ground were it goes bad. I assume the best way to take care of it is to either use a conditioner or ground the outlet directly to a cold water tap(but that would require a lot of wire down to the basement)

One simple check for ground would be to pull the outlet and see if the bare ground is connected. Make sure the terminals are tight in that outlet. At first glance I would have said bad contacts in light switch arcing but if other things other than the one light switch well.......

Add the zener diode protectors and your damage worries will be over.

While the 'pops' are generated by various things in your house, the power-supply rejection-ratio (PSRR) of your stereo equipment is 'poor' .In the past I have tried various filters, many will actually increase the noise.

I think forum member BEC has the zener kits. The crossover board for older Cornwalls has a dimple pressed into it for where the zener kit goes. The only tool required for install is a screwdriver.