Shelf for RC-64 (aka Hoisting a Pig)

ScottDillard

...and I use the term "pig" affectionately... I read the stats about a 33x13.5" footprint and 61 pounds, but until I saw it in person it just didn't register...

I'm in the process of switching out my venerable Infinity RS II HT setup for a Klipsch one. (Anybody know anybody wanting classic Infinity speakers in the Dallas area?) I have a Mitsubishi DLP so the top of the screen stands out about 17" from the wall. Due to its width, the RC-64 is too wide to go in the stand below the TV without relocating other components, so I wanted to share my current plan with the knowledgeable (or at the least, opinionated) community since I know little about home theater setup or construction.

My current plan is to put the RC-64 on a shelf above the TV with the goal of making the shelf mostly invisible. (I found another thread where someone built a beautifully sculptured mantle for theirs, but I'm looking for a more simplistic/invisible solution.) I'm thinking about using some shelving from Home Depot where you mount vertical rails (blue in diagram) into the studs in the wall and insert shelf racks (green) into the rails, then I'll cut and finish a shelf (yellow) to lay on top of that so that the speaker can be located as far forward as possible while making the shelf mostly unnoticeable from the front.

So I'm running this idea by y'all to see if there are any fallicies in the plan (in particular, are there any vibration concerns?) or whether there are any better ideas before I start marring the walls?

PigShelf.jpg

Yea that RC-64 is a monster for sure. The look on my buddies face was priceless when we unpacked it and I told him it was a center channel speaker.

are there any vibration concerns?

You shouldn't get any vibration out of your center channel so you don't have to worry about that.

then I'll cut and finish a shelf (yellow) to lay on top of that so that the speaker can be located as far forward as possible while making the shelf mostly unnoticeable from the front.

You might want to put some kind of rounded nose piece on the front, to stop the speaker from falling onto the TV. You never know when a bump might push that speaker off the front of the shelf.

Post some pictures when everything is setup and running how you like it.

James

Hi Scott. How much room do you have from the floor to the bottom of your DLP? The reason I ask is because I've had pretty good luck using center speaker stands that are slightly titled upward toward the listening position. That way, you don't have to worry about marring into the walls or possible falling that high. There are tons of stands out there. Here is one that I just recently saw here on the forums.. Maybe send him an email and get some info...

post-21805-13819539700732_thumb.jpg

post-21805-1381956669008_thumb.jpg

post-21805-13819568096574_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I read the stats about a 33x13.5" footprint and 61 pounds, but until I saw it in person it just didn't register...

Yep, I think we all were. Just to show relative size, it's wider than one of my theater seats. Try lifting it above your head 8ft while standing on bar stools. I was afraid...very afraid. I have seen a few others mount their RC-64 like you have. Just make sure you hit studs. That would truly be a sad day.

rc-64.jpg

You might want to put some kind of rounded nose piece on the front, to stop the speaker from falling onto the TV.

Thanks for the replies so far.

darylomer2, there's no room below the tv - it's standing on a Mits cabinet with the components in it, so the tv screen, components and speakers on each side present a solid face standing out about 1.5-2 foot from the wall. Putting it on a stand really isn't an option with the corgi dogs running around.

James, what were you thinking with the "rounded nose piece on the front"? Maybe just a half or quarter circle bit of moulding nailed to the front to give the shelf a lip just in case?

hey guys,

i had alot of trouble finding a stand to fit my 64. i looked and looked and finally found one. but then i had to deal with watching it sit on the floor for 2 months while i waited for my stand to get here. it was a gamble. the specs on paper looked like it would fit but i wasnt tottally sure. but now its in and it sure did work. it also fit my huge receiver, and has plenty of breathing room too. just thought i would chime in for anyone that isnt a handyman and wants a stand that will fit the beast (rc-64) because we all know that a good stand for these is hard to find. by the way it is a bell'o avsc-2061e forums

post-40054-13819539704032_thumb.jpg

post-40054-13819566693428_thumb.jpg

post-40054-13819568100282_thumb.jpg

James, what were you thinking with the "rounded nose piece on the front"? Maybe just a half or quarter circle bit of moulding nailed to the front to give the shelf a lip just in case?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. It would be there just in case since you want to push the RC-64 as close to the front edge as possible, better safe then sorry. Then it also depends on what you were going to use for the shelf, but I figured it was going to be some sort of wood product.

James

djwarila, nice looking stand and it can fit the RC-64, another plus.

I know what you mean, when I was looking for a new TV stand for the RC-64 I found it at Circuit City, this was a few years ago, but none of the ones around me had it. I had to drive 2.5 hrs. away just to pick one up but the matching equipment rack I did find local. This is the one I have and the matching audio rack. Goes very nice with my RF-83's and RC-64 in cherry... [H]

James

james, i just purchased an audio rack made by bush, it looks a little like yours. i like yours a little better though althogh it was more expensive, it looks very classy. does anyone have any ideas on something that will angle my center upwards without putting too much stress on the glass? right now im using cardboard, lol

does anyone have any ideas on something that will angle my center upwards without putting too much stress on the glass? right now im using cardboard, lol

That was and is still my current problem... I did try the single point angle for an hour and didn't like the fact that all the weight of the beast was on that single point... What I was thinking, getting a piece of 1x the same width of the speaker and cutting a miter on one side to wedge it under the speaker. That way the weight is still distributed the entire length instead of the single point, also it could be painted or stained to blend in more.

James

does anyone have any ideas on something that will angle my center upwards without putting too much stress on the glass? right now im using cardboard, lol

Someone on the forums suggested using door stops. I have been using them for about 2 years. Works very well, is cheap, and no one has even noticed.