First Impressions of the Harmony One

Youthman

• Moderators

Yes Fish, the One is the same way. When I click on Receiver, I have to scroll through several pages to depending on which button I am looking for. The buttons are in alphabetical order so PowerON is a few pages in. I don't mind the touch screen though, it makes it pretty cool to me. To me, the One is for everyday use and using the one touch buttons. If I want to tweek or test something, I'll grab the manufacture remote to do those things. I'll give a better review once my PS3 Adapter comes in and I can set everything up.

• Moderators

Can't you arrange the buttons on each screen like the 880, meaning putting your most used buttons on the 1st screen? Also, is every hard button assignable, again like the 880?

To be honest, I have no idea.

Also, is every hard button assignable, again like the 880?

Not sure about that either.

I'll have to look at the manual.

• Moderators

Can't you arrange the buttons on each screen like the 880, meaning putting your most used buttons on the 1st screen?

I looked in the software and yes, you can arrange the order of the buttons. Thats great. I did not see where you can assign hard buttons. How did you do it with the 880? Once I know, I can look to see if the One will do it as well.

• Moderators

That image is from a more in depth setting. The Harmony set the buttons for me, that screen just allows you to change the hard buttons. For example, if for some reason you wanted your volume up and down button to change your DSP settings on your receiver, you could set it to do that. The Harmony One was very simple to setup so far. You login to the software, tell it which components you have with model numbers and it downloads those codes into your remote. Once you have all of your components installed, you will be able to create something like Macros which is a set of commands. Ex. Hitting the Watch DVD button would Turn on my projector, then turn on my receiver, then turn on the PS3, set the input on the receiver to Bluray and then dim my lights. I haven't actually done this all yet since I am waiting for the PS3 Adapter to arrive. Once it arrives, maybe I will post a short tutorial with screenshots if anyone would benefit from this.

• Moderators

I received the Harmony PS3 Adapter today. It was a simple installation. Plugged in power cable, turned on PS3 and pushed sync button on the PS3 Adapter and it was up and running.

Back to the computer to setup my Activities. It took about 30 minutes to set everything up but now I have the hang of it (at least I think I do). LOL.

One time I hit the Watch DVD command and not all of my electronics came on. The help menu was sweet. It asked me if everything came on and I said no. It then turned my projector and Receiver on and asked if everything was now turned on and I said yes. Now it works like a charm.

I now have three Activities setup (Watch DVD, Play a Game and Listen to Music).

The PS3 Adapter now allows me to operate the PS3.

The only problem that I have is that my IR sensor for my Lutron lighting system is at the back of the room, behind one of my theater chairs. I need to get some form of repeater that will send the IR signal to the Lutron Maestro so that when I hit Watch Movie, the last thing it does is dim the light.

All in all, I am very pleased with the One remote. Thanks to a previous poster, I found out I can easily assign commands to the hard buttons as well as reorder the buttons on the touch screen to move my most used buttons to the front page.