5.1 or 7.1

r.noble

Hey I'm new to the forum and just purchased a pair of s1, b3, snd a c1. I currently have a htrs-800 running the 7.1 set up wanted to start to upgrade speakers but really didnt have the money for the f1's yet. So my questions is can I keep the onkyo front speakers and run everthing else as surrounds for a 7.1 setup? Or should I just run the 5.1 setup with klipsch speakers only?

Welcome!

I would use your Onkyo speakers as rear surrounds. Might as well use them since you already have them.

B3s as front mains - C1 as center speaker - S1s as side surrounds and Onkyo speakers as rears.

One piece of advice would be to upgrade your center speaker before you get F1s. Having a good center speaker is important - there's a lot of pre-owned C2 and C3s around.

• 2 weeks later...

What size room. A 7.1 system using Dolby Pro Logic 2x helps more in ambience and panning but only if it is setup right. In scenes where their is a lot of ambient rainfall, you're insise a submarine, or their is a lot of panning from front to rear and vis versa 7.1 shines but you need the correct room size and setup for it to do so. The type of speakers also makes a difference.

besides, there's not a whole lot of 7.1 discs out there at this time so you won't be missing much.

You don't need a 7.1 disc to enjoy 7.1 surround:)

just saying.....

Ideally, you'll want a couple/few feet of space behind the primary seating position for mounting purposes, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Wall or ceiling mounted speakers direclty behind angled downward will provide the 7.1 effect too....