Emotiva UMC-1 to Yamaha RX-V1 or Do I Also Need To Pony Up For an AMP

Hypoxia

I need to update. I was considering a new receiver, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha etc. until I made the mistake of reading what you folks have to say about separate pre/pro and amps.The Emotiva UMC-1 seems to be a hot item and looks good to me. I have a Yamaha RX-V1, would it be reasonable to use it as the amp or would I be better off going with the Emotiva amp also?

Currently I'm running RF-7 mains, RC-64 center, Paradigm Studio ADP surrounds and a Dayton 12" Titanic MK III subwoofer.

Typically you wouldn't purchase a pre to run back into a receiver as an amp.

If you like how your Yamaha preforms then I would suggest you look at just getting a Emotiva amp to run your speakers and use your receiver as the pre. You can either go with a XPA-5, to run all your speakers with one amp, or the combination of a XPA-3 and XPA-2. If you go the two amp route and can't purchase them at the same time then look at getting the XPA-3 first and run your front three speakers, RF7 and RC-64, off of it. Then later you can get the XPA-2 and switch the RF-7 to that and the center and rear speakers to the XPA-3.

James

I was thinking I needed something to decode the newer audio formats. HomeTheater isn't my first language so I'm busy catching up on the latest stuff.

If your current Yamaha is doing everything you need then you are good to go.

Now if you want more power for your speakers, the RF-7 like more power, then you can look at external amps. I do believe the receiver has pre-outs on the back to connect an external amp.

James

Your Yamaha does have 5.1 inputs. If you use a Blu-Ray player that has 5.1/7.1 discrete outputs then you will be getting the HD audio format through your receiver.

Your receiver isn't a slouch - with an original retail of over $3000 its got a lot of amazing features and components in it. It would still be a good foundation to build on even though technology has changed a lot in home theater. Adding an external amp and keeping the Yamaha for now sounds like the way to go for me.

The receiver is working good. I'm using a PS3 for BluRay and a Mitsubishi 82" 82837 TV. I am running the HDMI from the DirecTV and the PS3 directly to the TV. It's all working pretty good but the array of remotes and HDMI switching on the TV is a task the wife is incapable of.

I'm really surprised at your suggestions. I figured the RX-V1 as an amp was good enough and you would be telling me the virtues of the Emotiva processor. It would be doing the HDMI switching etc. but it appears the general opinion is that there isn't much to be gained.

The receiver is working good. I'm using a PS3 for BluRay and a Mitsubishi 82" 82837 TV. I am running the HDMI from the DirecTV and the PS3 directly to the TV. It's all working pretty good but the array of remotes and HDMI switching on the TV is a task the wife is incapable of.

Take a look at the Harmony One remote control. For a couple of hundred bucks it may solve all your switching and remote problems. An incredible contraption with huge WAF!

Rod

I can't imagine the Yamaha being lite on power,an amp would be a slight upgrade.If the UMC was 100% stable it would be a no brainer,there is however a few minor issues.The sound of the UMC is top notch,combined with a capable amp there's nothing for twice+ the price that compares to the features and sound.The only reason I don't recommend it whole heartedly is the few issues that some are having.My unit is working great and the latest update fixed 99%of my issues,but it's hard to suggest something if it's less than 100% solid.

I would not part with mine even with a minor inconvenience,it's truly Klipsch friendly.I'd suggest you follow the UMC and gather more info,take your time,then decide.If you do upgrade,it's a definate contender.

Harmony may be a solution. Two issues with universal remotes; They have to be pointed at the units for the entire sequence or some units may not turn on (I keep telling her), second if they do get out of sequence I will be the only one who can figure it out (and will hear about it repeatedly).

Fish, I'll follow the UMC-1, they aren't in stock yet & I have to believe they will solve all of the issues although HDMI can always cause problems.

It seems like HDMI causes lots of problems probably due to the licensing restrictions. My DirecTV HDMI recently stopped talking to my bedroom Sony HDTV so I'm using component on it now. I think DirecTV did a software update........

I just received all but 2 capacitors and will do the DIY version of the DeanG RF-7 when Parts Express restocks. My thanks to DeanG for sharing his methods and parts list. I've been getting zapped for 45 years while dinking on electronics so I think it will be a good project. Some friends call me Sparky. [li]

Hypoxia,

You may want to try to unload your yamaha. With the original price and feature set, you maybe able to get around $600+(even without the newest codecs). Most people will just run it as a pre-amp via the analogs......I would definitely considering on getting an external amp. I have the xpa-5 and it does wonders for the rf-7s. But the xpa-2/xpa-3 is a better combo if you can swing it(I never got the WAF, but hey...you seem like you might..lol)....good luck...

btw: Dean is returning my networks today [:D]. It's been 5 days since I've heard the sweet sound of my klipsch and I can't wait to get them back. Also...I'm on the pre-order list(shipping 3/24) for the UMC-1, but I may not keep it....REALLY WANT THE XMC-1, BUT AGAIN WITH THE WAF...LOL