HELP Chorus II vs RF-7

Glen Sinclair

They're both awesome. If you listen at very high volumes be aware that the RF-7 is going to be a lot more sensitive to what amplification you're using. You might have to plunk down a bit of $$ to get an amp you're pleased with.

You'll have much more midrange detail with Chorus IIs due to their 3-way design and midrange horn.

Glen Dont hesitate to jump on the RF-7's but like Wuzzer said you will need a good amp vs the Chorus II's will run on almost anything. Both are audiophile quality speakers but the RF-7 are more refined and better suited for the digital age. Ive owned both of them and love them both. My choice is the RF 7

RF-7 are more refined and better suited for the digital age.

Not in my opinion.

It might be easier to power the Chorus II's but it takes a good room, extreme critical placement and a great synergy of equipment to make them really sing. If you haven't spent alot of time trying its very hard to predict what the Chorus II is capable of. Personally I have found for my tastes I like a ton of power pushing the K-48 in the Chorus II.

Also I've been playing red book cds on my Chorus II's for twenty years. They do just fine with digital IMHO.

Now if you can buy them both at the same price I think you would be money ahead with the RF-7's because they do bring a better dollar in the market.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. They're Klipsch......everything associated with them will influence how much happiness they bring you. Amp and preamp being the most influential.......and right on down the line. Klipsch are very revealing speakers. Crap in = crap out.

A two-way like the RF-7 can sound more refined but a three-way like the Chorus ll will be more revealing. In the end they both sound like Klipsch but with different flavors.

I'd get the KLF-30. [;)] [:P]

At 115 db a Chorus II will pound you and stay smooth.

I've noticed this as well going from RF-7's to KLF-30's. It's really loud......but doesn't hurt my ears and stays extremely smooth. I've also noticed that listening to a three-way speaker at low volumes can be more fulfilling.

At 115 db a Chorus II will pound you and stay smooth.

I've noticed this as well going from RF-7's to KLF-30's. It's really loud......but doesn't hurt my ears and stays extremely smooth. I've also noticed that listening to a three-way speaker at low volumes can be more fulfilling.

Sounds like those KLF 30's are doing nicely. Good to hear.[Y]

I always thought the 30's and Chorus II's were about the best offerings for just pounding you. Personally, I was just a little dissappointed with the 30's construction. I thought Klipsch kind of had a hiccup on that one. The way you rock Scott time will tell if they are going to hold up for you. Got my fingers crossed for ya man.

Sounds like those KLF 30's are doing nicely.

It was to my surprise to find out how smooth they play. I always knew they pounded but the big, wide sound they offer compared to other two-ways I've owned is a treat.

The way I have them set my subs do most of the muscle work. When they are cranking the woofers in the 30's barely move at 117db.

The whole glue thing has me concerned as well but these are 10 years old and the previous owners took great care of them and weren't shy about throwing some serious power at them......and so am I. If they've gone this long without a problem I'm hoping that they're ok.

I've heard Chorus speakers before but they always seemed to be underpowered. Wimpy bass and "in your face" highs. I'd love to hear them with a Crown K-2.......nothing wimpy about that combo I'm sure of. [Y]

The whole glue thing has me concerned as well but these are 10 years old and the previous owners took great care of them and weren't shy about throwing some serious power at them......and so am I. If they've gone this long without a problem I'm hoping that they're ok.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. If I'm not mistaken I believe it was a problem with the glue to no fault of Klipsch. But in business keeping a close eye on suppliers is part of it.

I'll bet its sounding great.

I've heard Chorus speakers before but they always seemed to be underpowered. Wimpy bass and "in your face" highs. I'd love to hear them with a Crown K-2.......nothing wimpy about that combo I'm sure of. Yes

Yeah their holding their own[;)] I've sure heard them sound like crap with the wrong gear. All highs and no lows at first I said omg I bought bose[:P]

Chorus II in place and sound BEAUTIFULL !! I was going to start upgrading my componets as I am

still running with my 20yo Hafler amp and pre amp with same year Sony ES CD and Tape deck

( tape deck I don't think I've turned it on in 10 years ) but now I've come across a pair of 1986 Cornwall II

for $500 and I think I'm going to jump on them as well, don't really need them yet but can't get them

out of my head and feel it is a must buy. Man I've got the itch !! Next will be the HT upgrade and based on

opinions from the forum I'm leaning on a complete Emotiva upgrade ( great quality / value ratio )

Anyways Thank You for your input and any opinions about the 86 Cornwall II are apreaciated.

Glen