DTS vs Dolby 5.1

akirk

DTS is less compressed and takes up more space on the dvd than dolby digital 5.1. It often sounds louder, and the sound quality is supposed to be better. Personally I don't think it's audible in terms of quality, but dts is usually louder than the dolby digital 5.1 track that accompanies it.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

akirk,

You may want to read the article below published on "Sound and Vision Online" web site. There's still a lot of debate as to which is format and coding method is better. When given the choice of viewing and listening to a disc using DD or DTS, I select DTS. It always provides a superior video and audio sound track on my system.

Dolby Digital vs. DTS - "Which is better?" http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAn dVision/FrameSet/0,1670,_sl_SoundAndVision_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1653_cm_130_2352_1_cm_00,00.html

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-18-2002 at 10:34 AM

I also learned recently that DTS and DD differ in their center channel output configurations. Whereas DD usually has a 4 db attenuation (decrease in volume) in the center channel, DTS does not. Just watch a source with both DD and DTS decoding and compare them while switching your center channel on/off. You will hear what I mean. I always knew there was something different there in the center between the two, but I finally read why recently. I can't remember the source, though. I'll look...

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

check the sampling rates on your dvdp. on mine dolby usually run w/ a sampling rate of around 48k bps whereas dts run around 75k bps. i really think one can sense the dif in resolution. hence now we have dvd-audio & sacd runnin at even higher rates & bits.

course it still comes down to the mix & the job the engineers do on the disk. the matrix in dolby still sounds great. is the matrix out in dts yet? Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

when i play a DTS DVD in my computer... it is at about 1488kbps, where as DD is 348-768kbps... but that is a computer, not regular DVD player, never looked at it on my stand alone DVD player.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

whew... i was starting to think I was crazy Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

quote:

Originally posted by Underhanded Penguin:

No, you're not crazy Bender, just drunk.

P.S. I love that guy. He's the funniest chracter on Futurama.

-UP

that he is, that he is.

(maybe that could be my new title... i am well over the 4000 post mark for the end of Answering machine... how about Bender...)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Mike - You get down behind your equipment, and count really, really, fast...

Actually, there should be a menu option on your DVD remote like Display or something that will cycle through the options, one of them being the bit rate. It might also be hidden in one of the setup menus.

Doug

------------------

My System

I have found that the "best" sounding track on my system varies from DVD to DVD. On some the DD 5.1 track sounds better then DTS. On others the DTS is better. Personally I like having the choice but I really think that you need to let your ears decide and try it on a disc by disc basis. On my DVD player it is easy to switch between tracks using the AUDIO button. This allows me to switch tracks on the fly so I can do direct comparisions.

Laters, cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

eq_shadimar, give some examples where DD sounds better. I say, give me 5 minutes, my Demo Discs and any old surround sound system and I'll show you that DTS is better. I have purchased DVD's in the past and will probably do so in the future just because they are DTS. I have caught myself involved in a movie more than once with a DTS soundtrack, and suddenly stopped and said "Man this disc sounds great" this is when I'm in the middle of watching, and not thinking about the sound. To me that says a lot.

------------------

My Home Theater

Boa, I don't understand, you're comparing two different movies? Do you think DD sounds better than DTS on the T2 disc (it has both, you know?) I'm talking about a comparison of the same movie where DD sounds better. I'm not saying they can't possibly exist, I've just never run into it. Truthfully, though, I don't ususally play both formats if a disc has both, I just go straight to the DTS version.

------------------

My Home Theater

todd, yea that was my tongue-in-cheek attempt at a point. guess eq was saying that DD does sound better than dts on some dual format disks. but i agree w/ you that dts does sound better everytime in head-head comparison due to that higher resolution.

cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-20-2002 at 03:50 PM

I have found that 'hands down', IMHO, DTS is superior to DD5.1. To me, generally speaking and bearing in mind the 'mix and engineering job', DD5.1 sounds more 'muffled' as well as biased towards the front. Again in general I have found that DTS is more detailed (higher resolution), 'brighter', and makes better use of the surrounds ie. better surround definition. Case and point is U-571. On the one scene where its raining like the bejesus just before the American sub gets blindsided by the torpedo, with DTS it is like you are there in a rainstorm. Shiver me timbers just recalling. I do not get even close to that feeling with the DD5.1.

I believe (at least for my older equipment) that bass management is a variable. In order for me to realize the full potential of DTS on my system, I need to set each speaker to 'full size'. Otherwise, the DTS sounds so 'tinny' as to be almost unlistenable.

------------------

Ed