Crossovers to replace Belle AA

wpines

Looking into buying ALK crossover upgrades for 1982 Belles with AA crossovers.

Any input on universal vs, extreme would be welcome.

Listen to mostly low and medium volume for rock, blues, jazz, vocal on digital sources.

I haven't called ALK yet, just fishing here first.

How big is your room and how far back do you sit?

OK Dean. Here's my stupid question for the day.

What do the crossovers have to do with how big his room is and how far back he sits listening to the Belle's?

Wow, that's a surprise......

I've heard so many times that the crossover upgrade is a must and the biggest sonic improvement for the buck with Klipsch Heritage.

ALK's are usually well reviewed and the universal's seem to be a "can't go wrong" play.

I'm only seeking to mitigate some of the sharpness/ringing/shrillness of the horns.

McIntosh electronics go partway but was hoping the crossover changeout would mitigate the excess horn energy without killing the dynamics.

Wow, that's a surprise......
I've heard so many times that the crossover upgrade is a must and the biggest sonic improvement for the buck with Klipsch Heritage.
ALK's are usually well reviewed and the universal's seem to be a "can't go wrong" play.
I'm only seeking to mitigate some of the sharpness/ringing/shrillness of the horns.
McIntosh electronics go partway but was hoping the crossover changeout would mitigate the excess horn energy without killing the dynamics.

I think he is recommending a crossover upgrade, not the one you suggested however.

I also think a type 'A' with Fresh Quality Caps and Inductors would be a large improvement.

If you want to tame some of the Sharpness of the Horns, Try some tube power amps. Preferably some Low Power SET amps.

The Type 'A' is even simpler than the 'AA' - I believe it has 1 less Cap and 1 less Inductor than the 'AA' - I like simple. I prefer first order networks with only 1 Cap and 1 inductor on the X-over points. - But Dean is the real expert here and I would listen to his adivce.

Your Stock networks have 30 year old Caps and could use some Fresh quality parts and upgraded inductors, wires etc

Here is a modified type 'A' that Dean helped me with the Calculations, As I have an Altec Horn instead of the Khorn Midrange. Only 1 Inductor and 1 Cap per crossover point. The Type 'A' has even 1 less inductor as the Khorn Midrange Horn Rolls off naturally.

Pic2.jpg?t=1267663409

14x23x9.5
8-10ft

I have a room not all that different from your dimensions and I use Al K's Universal and find it to be quite pleasing. I will say this Al's Universals have an identifiable sound to them. I can pick it out immediately when listening to a set of Klipschorns, LS or Belle Klipsch.

I will say this Al's Universals have an identifiable sound to them. I can pick it out immediately when listening to a set of Klipschorns, LS or Belle Klipsch.

True.

Most run on taps X & 4 -- so the midrange is down and the tweeter is up (actually, because of the Butterworth alignment, the tweeter output is a little more elevated to begin with). With the midrange output somewhat supressed and the tweeter output elevated it creates a tinkle boom effect (I'm not saying it doesn't sound nice:) If one changes the taps to 4 & 0 (stock Klipsch setting), the Universal A and Klipsch AA sound more alike than different. That setting (at least for me), sounds the best for low to moderate listening. The Universal's primary strength is its versatility, but one should realize that with the K-55, you get the flattest response using taps 4 & 0 (5 & 2 is good middle ground). If one thinks the midrange output on the A or AA is too hot for them, all they need to do is run a 15 ohm in parallel with the squawker and drop to tap 3, which creates a result very similiar to taps X & 4 on the ALK (and costs peanuts).

I'm not knocking the ALK, it's a killer design. I'm only saying that for those who are primarily interested in maintaining the flattest response and don't engage in a lot of live level listening, they don't really need it. A caveat here would be for those running tube amps with a high output impedance (zero feedback) -- the somewhat constant impedance the network provides to the amplifier will prevent the amplifier from delivering non-flat response due to the wide swings in impedance produced by the stock filters.