axpona

vnzbd

Well I made the trek to the AXPONA show today. A couple hour drive each way. It is sponsered by Stereophile so I expected it to be a little stuffy. I did get a kick out of listening to people who like to hear themselves talk, elevated speakerwires, and other gadgets that just make you go hmmm. All in all I enjoyed myself. I got to see, hear and touch gear otherwise I would only see in a magazine. Each merchant got their own suite to show off their products and some paired up. My favorite rooms were as follows:

3. Eggelston Andra III speakers with hugh tubes. I cant remember the brand but they sure were pretty! Diana Krall was amazing.

2. Legacy Audio Helix towers($60k) with 1000watt built in subs with the mid bass, mids, and highs tri-wired to a Mcintosh 300 x 3 amp per side. SRV's guitar was there. I would compare it to seeing a 3D movie and believing you can touch it.

1. YG Acoustics Kipod($65k) being pushed by Krell 400 watt amps and related Krell gear. The zero noise floor to the incredible dynamics. The headroom on those amps must be epic. It was the best imaging, smoothest and most dynamic setup there.

One local vendor had a set of Heresy III's present but set up on a short wall. You were only about 5' away for the demo so it was hard to get a feel for what they could do. They were the only Klipsch that I saw there, but as I had conversations with guests as well as vendors and mentioned my preference, most had stories to tell of prior Klispch ownership and disapointment that they had not kept them. If your in the area I would recomend an afternoon out. Neat stuff!

I have not had the pleasure of hearing them yet. I was hoping that a pair would be there. The dealer that had the H III's set up had a picture of them on their brochure. There was another set of speakers there with massive mid horns. The T-1.3 Reference. They offer what appears to be "classic audio reproductions" www.classicaudiorepro.com . Neat stuff! They played some Duke Ellington thru tubes.

Several months ago a local dealer had the P's in and had a demo night with the Klipsch chopper included. I had my children that evening so I could not attend. Next time.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about it real hard. I'm over near Lake Wales or a little over an hour from Tampa.

I would probably stay outside of Atlanta because I'm cheap and don't want to pay "downtown" room rates.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss it further.

• 1 month later...

I interviewed many of the vendors for StereoList.com. The
exhibitors introduced themselves and their equipment for StereoList.com.

Listening to horns on horns can be wonderful. It is hard to
capture the true, life like quality of the combination of horns and tubes, but
this might give you a little taste of what high end audio shows are really
like. Yes, people talk all the way through of the demonstrations, and the
videos!

The videos are linked to Audio Tube Amp, Big Ole Horns, and The
Tweaking Audiophile fan pages at Facebook.