Parasound Turntable

DVois

The model # is PST-1200 Studio Turntable

This thing weighs 20 pounds if not more. I found it at the dump in the leave it or take it area today. Does anyone have any info on this thing. Thanks

Dougcwm40.gif

------------------

Current System

Cornwalls 1 (LF/RF)

Hersey II's (LR/RR)

RC-7 (Center)

KSW-12 (Sub)

Adcom GTP500

Yamaha DSP-A1

H/K DVD-50

(Future Expansion)

LaScala's

AVR 8000

DV-

I did a quick search on Google and a few other engines and came up with zilch. You may want to see if you can find a copy of Orion's Blue Book at you local library. I think to buy a copy may be a little pricey but not over a C note. There are a few "antique" pieces in my set up I'd like a know a little about as well.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

• 5 years later...

Hey bro- I signed up just to reply to this. I have this exact Turntable (2 of them to be exact) and just so you know, I'm mad that they were in the dump. The Turntable is Direct Drive, and I find it to be the best turntable for me. As the name suggests, it's a studio turntable. It may be over 10 years old, but its one of the best turntables out there. The thing is a monster in weight, but it has absolutely NO platter flutter and the motor is surprisingly strong for such an old brute. Seeing that it was in a dump, I suggest taking it apart. There are 8 screws on the underbody; take em out. The bottom will just fall off then (be careful, the metal antistatic plate is on that bottom piece, and one look at it explains the weight). Then, proceed to taking the orange color chip in the center off by unscrewing the 4 corner screws (One of em has a black wire arrached under it, and another has a spring. I cannot urge you enough to not lose that spring; its for static and is very important. Once you get that orange chip up, You will see the spindle and magnet (kinda surprising motor eh? that flat little thing). Now here comes the fun part. Try to extricate the spindle from the chip. Its simple- grab the spindle's head and using the other hand grasp the chip. now wiggle it side to side and PULL. It does not damage anything, and once the spindle is out, take some light grease ( I suggest White Lithium grease, but a good squirt of WD-40 should suffice). Now the annoying part. Put the spindle/magnet part back into the socket. The newly added oil will not allow the air to escape, so the spindle wil pop right back up everytime you push it down. Fun eh? Turrn it side to side and apply constant pressure, and it should give up it's fight. Once placed back in, I did something else. Look for a little bok like thing with a black tip on a pole and spring. In other words, look for the solenoid. That plunger thing? That's the brake. I suggest removing it if you do scratching, because when you apply the brake on the table, it'll disengage the motor and shoot that out onto the magnet. Removing it will then only disengage the motor, so the platter spins freely when the brake is on. Just a suggestion. Finally, Put the 4 screws back on the chip and spindle setup and put back into place. Do not forget the ground wire and the spring!!!!!!! those go on 2 of the 4 screws as you should already know. Put the bottom back on and screw it in TIGHT (Don't want that bottom to fall off ^^). Finally, the turntable is ready to go. (That is, if you have a needle and headshell). If you need a headshell and Cartridge, I will make another post for my headshell/ cartridge. They are freaking amazing and dirt cheap, especially if you're an Ebay'er.

Okay. Like I promised, here is a good assembly to use for your headshell/cartridge. Go to Ebay and get a Stanton H4S headshell. Dirt cheap, but the absolute best headshell because you can adjust your cartridge angle/height/weight using it. The cartridge? Get a Stanton 500.v3 cartridge (Ebay it) and they are dirt cheap. But I warn you, it's not for people who dont care about their audio. It's an AMAZINGLY good needle for stereo ( I broadcast online and i frequently get people asking me if the music is being played from a CD, even though I stated in my Title "TURNTABLE". It's that good). If you like scratching, then the headshell has a +2 or +4g weight you can screw on the top for holding the groove, although for entertainment, I lift this turntable and swing it from side to side and watch as people ooh and ahh at the way it doesn't skip. I got these parts off ebay and they didnt even cost as much as some needles alone do and they perform better than almost all on the market. YouTube DJ craze to see him use this headshell ( Not sure about his needle/Cartridge though) in scratching. It holds the groove well. You've managed to find yourself a highly coveted turntable; now go my young Padawan and USE THE FORCE. (*sorry about the whole Star Wars reference*). My name is Richard Persaud, age 16 and this turntable has been brought back to life with my help (I hope). (^^;)

I know Doug V but I don't think he frequents here much anymore. He sold off most of his Klipsch speaker collection not to long ago as well. Not sure if he still has the table but his email address if still the same should be active if you want to contact him.