HT Preamp suggestions

HemiMoparGuy1981

Hey all

I was looking for suggestions/opinions on a preamp for HT. I used the search function but that info was from 04 and 05. I was wanting a more updated version. Maybe many of you have had more experience (or know someone who has, etc) in this amount of time where as the threads I read, not many people seemed to have at that current time. Anyway, I was considering something like Harman/Kardon AVR-354 or something similar...that has preamp outputs for all channels; but it just seems that it wouldn't have the quality I am looking for since its main function is to be an amp/receiver. It seems that something specifically designed to be a preamp would be much better.

Thanks,

Eric

Welcome to the forum.

If the H/K has all the inputs that you need then I would go with that. With a receiver you are correct about getting an all in one unit. How much are you looking to spend? If you do go with a pre-amp then you have to fit the amps into your budget also. The receiver route is good since you can add an external amp when you can and the receiver will handle all the switch and decoding, the same thing the pre-amp does.

I think that's what you were asking....

James

I don't need the inputs of a receiver. And this isn't an immediate plan. I'm looking for the ideas for a future setup in which cost isn't much of an issue. I was looking at the H/K because it has preamp outputs, I don't intend on using this unit as an amplifier at all. So the amps are already figured in the budget. I was just looking at a dedicated preamp wondering if it'd be better than the H/K's preamp ability since that isn't it's main function. So the cost of the preamp would be minimal since I am already looking at seperate amps, and spending $300-$800 depending on if I find a good deal on used or refurb, or if I buy retail. Also maybe even more than that if I decide to get the next model up, etc.

Look at pre/pros from Integra, NAD and Anthem. Emotiva has a good pre/pro, but it hasn't been out long enough for them to get all the handshake bugs out of it. Youre budget will most likely point you in the used market, which isn't all that bad. Just be sure you get a Bluray player that will decode everything in the player and have analog outputs, like an OPPO.

I don't need HDMI settings because I run everything through my TV inputs. But preamp is the last thing on my list. Gotta start collecting amps first. Preamp does no good without those...atleast amps will be usable at first. I'm just gathering info right now...I have a weird way of planning way ahead and picking out components way before I need them. That way I know almost everything I need and only have to research the minor changes of the latest and greatest vs what I originally had planned.

I would have to guess at what he is actually saying, but if I did it would be what I use to do. My old receiver did not have HDMI so I ran the video straight to the TV and ran the audio separately to my old receiver with an optical cable. My set has seven HDMI conections which is plenty. One main drawback was that I was constantly changing the port on the TV depending which unit I was using at the time, PS3, Wii, DVD, ect. Now I have 5 in 1 out on the new Onkyo and can run the audio to the receiver as well.

I just picked up the Onkyo 807 and paid just under what it looks like the H/K is going for. I was looking for a new receiver with pre outs as well. Some of the other features I wanted was Audyssey's Dynamic Volume control, Speaker Calibration, DSX, and Ethernet Port. I just did a quick check of the H/K and did not see those features. The Onkyo also has 135 watts / channel compared to the 75 watts the H/K carries. Seems like the Onkyo is a better deal.

I would have to guess at what he is actually saying, but if I did it would be what I use to do. My old receiver did not have HDMI so I ran the video straight to the TV and ran the audio separately to my old receiver with an optical cable.

Precisely. Just a question...is there really a difference in hooking it to TV inputs vs hooking through the receiver? Either way, you have to change a source on the TV or receiver.

On my TV it is a three step process: Menu, Settings, Video X. On the new receiver it is just one button. Additionally, on the old receiver I needed an optical cable for each unit to enable me to hear the audio via my stereo speakers. These are not necessary now that I have my new receiver.

Of all the features on the new Onkyo I mentioned, I love the Audyssey Dynamic Volume control. I will never be blasted by a rogue commercial again.

Precisely. Just a question...is there really a difference in hooking it to TV inputs vs hooking through the receiver? Either way, you have to change a source on the TV or receiver.

The most convenient thing about running through a receiver is that it will handle all source switching duties. When you run to the TV and you change sources you have to switch inputs on the receiver AND TV instead of just the receiver. Another thing you'd miss is if the receiver (Pre/Pro) has any video processing to take advantage of.

I have never run my video through my sound system, that way I don't have to have the audio on to watch tv. I'll use the tv speakers for casual viewing & crank up the stereo for sports & movies.

I also would like to plug B&K, there reference series are, IMHO, some of the best for the $. I have a ref 30 & a ref 50 & they both are outstanding 2 channel as well as HT. You can pick up a nice ref 30 for around $300.

I have never run my video through my sound system, that way I don't have to have the audio on to watch tv. I'll use the tv speakers for casual viewing & crank up the stereo for sports & movies.

I also would like to plug B&K, there reference series are, IMHO, some of the best for the $. I have a ref 30 & a ref 50 & they both are outstanding 2 channel as well as HT. You can pick up a nice ref 30 for around $300.

yes, my Reference 50 sounds so much better than this Onkyo receiver I'm using right now but being able to run a single cable to my displays (LCD over fireplace and projector) wins out at this point. Unless I have the cash to spring for a Reference 70 I'm sticking with them for now. I would sell the Ref 50 to help fund a 70 though.