tubes are evil

dtel

• Moderators

Although many people view a preamp as a mere "switch box" - a selector switch for all your source inputs - that's only a minor function of the preamp.

I am one of the " many people ", I knew it increased the signal but I thought it was a minor amount and not much more than a " switch box ".

I had no idea it was that important and how hard it actually works, THANK YOU for explaining it like that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great schedule there! To save more time for first aid, we might combine Testing It All Out with Mass. I've been to a few masses with the in-laws, and during testing we will surely find some smoking projects that you could swing around by the cords...

cardinal-castrillon-catholic-herald-prie

Nice fini - Cardinal Castrillon performing the Extraordinary Rite. Wish I had been there...

Bruce

1. This is PURE EVIL it keeps telling me it will have tube pre amp....and it tells me it dont care how long it takes !
  2. I Just hope i can resist.....i can feel my self losing my will to resist .....at nite when im home alone it makes me read.....
  3. it makes me do things with my pay check women havent been able to make me do !
    1. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Moderators

I had no idea it was that important and how hard it actually works, THANK YOU for explaining it like that.

Hey Dtel - thank you for enjoying it! Good luck in the search!

Thank you, the search will take a while but I am in no rush.

Another thing off the list of " I had know idea " [:S] it was that important. I have never had solid state separates, much less tube anything, I had know idea a pre amp was that important.

• Moderators

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

No problem with the dark side, I have been married for 31 years, if I can handle that...or I should say if she can handle it. [A]

There was a church full of people at service one Sunday when all of a sudden satan appeared, everyone ran out screaming except for one old man.

Satan walked up to him and asked why did you stay you should be scared of me and run like everyone else ?

The old man looked up at him and said, you don't scare me, I have been married to your sister for 40 years !

I too will confess my ignorance of the work that a preamp must do. I felt I had a pretty good grasp as to its switching functions and that it had to boost the mV signals from source components, but I never considered how MUCH it had to boost the signal yet not change it (too much). I must admit that while reading Mark's simple yet elegant explanation I found myself saying "No sh*t" to myself. So thanks Mark for the enlightenment.

So tell me Mark (if you're still reading this thread), what issues does adding something like the ability to remotely control a preamp have??

Tom