NJ to Savannah Georgia to Mississippi to Tenesse to Washington DC

Jay481985

I know short notice and I have not been on here a while but my friend from high school is a west pointer and just found out she is being redeployed to Iraq in a month or so. She always mentioned that I should come visit so that I am and its my spring break. I will shoot straight down i-95 to Savannah but going back up I have a free week when I leave monday or so. Is there anything specific I can do, eat, see etc on the way back up or is anyone willing to let me audition their systems?

I am up for pretty much anything and everything.
Thanks guys.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amen for last minute booty calls! You better send her off well. In Savannah hit the anywhere around Congress st. for bars.. Go to Hunter Army Airfield. Just about any BBQ hut in NC, SC, and GA is worth eating at. I'd find some high end hi-fi shops along the route, and sample there wares. Major cites, DC, Baltimore, Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia...

While you are in Savannah you MUST have lunch at Miss Wilke's Dining Room. A Savannah institution for decades, it was in the papers last week because Pres. Obama ate there, and yes even he bussed his table after lunch as all customers do. The best fried chicken I have had in my life. Dining is family style, the table is laden with more food than you can eat. Brunswick stew, cornbread, black eyed peas, greens...hungry yet? [:D] No booze served there, sweet tea is the norm. The website is down right now.

If you head over to Tybee Island for the day, have lunch at the Crab Shack, http://www.thecrabshack.com/ Outdoor dining, speakers hanging from the trees playing Marley & Buffett, ice cold beer in coozies. We're not talking fancy here, there are holes in the middle of the tables to sweep your garbage into when you are done and paper towels on the table. Get the Sampler Platter, a "Low Country Boil" shrimp, clams, mussels, crawfish, keilbasa, corn and new potatos piled high. A cold beer or some white wine and you are set.

While you are in Savannah you MUST have lunch at Miss Wilke's Dining Room. A Savannah institution for decades, it was in the papers last week because Pres. Obama ate there, and yes even he bussed his table after lunch as all customers do. The best fried chicken I have had in my life. Dining is family style, the table is laden with more food than you can eat. Brunswick stew, cornbread, black eyed peas, greens...hungry yet? Big Smile No booze served there, sweet tea is the norm. The website is down right now.

If you head over to Tybee Island for the day, have lunch at the Crab Shack, http://www.thecrabshack.com/ Outdoor dining, speakers hanging from the trees playing Marley & Buffett, ice cold beer in coozies. We're not talking fancy here, there are holes in the middle of the tables to sweep your garbage into when you are done and paper towels on the table. Get the Sampler Platter, a "Low Country Boil" shrimp, clams, mussels, crawfish, keilbasa, corn and new potatos piled high. A cold beer or some white wine and you are set.

Well......from some one who's lived here for 25+ years...........

Mrs. Wilkes - very nice TOURISTY place. The food? Decent, but nothing you couldn't get at my house any day of the week. Besides, at my house you can also get deep fried turkey. Me? I'd rather go to Clary's or Bella's. Bar food?? Wild Wing Cafe and make sure you get a side of their China Syndrom sauce. HOT!!!

The Crab Shack use to be decent until the TOURISTS found out about it. You want plain seafood? Go to the Shellhouse at the intersection of I-95 and GA HWY204. Good stuff. Slightly off the beaten path is Love's seafood that sits right on the bank of the Ogeechee river and has been there forever. Try their all-u-can-eat catfish. OMG it's good.

And if you can find Old School, you'll definitely bring back some stories for your friends & family. The place looks like crap and yes, you'll be parking on old worn out carpet, but there's a reason why hollywood celebs and famous folks seek this out in the boonies place out. Mmmmmm........I hear their steak calling me now.

In Charleston, SC is Read Brothers Stereo. Lord knows how long they've been there. Use to carry Klipsch at one time. A couple of their sales folks own Klipsch and 'ol Sunburnwilly hangs out there from time-to-time. In fact, while you're there, be shure to eat where Sunburn works - Magnolia's. Unbelieveable food and awesome wines. And the service ain't bad either. [;)]

Tom

In Charleston, SC is Read Brothers Stereo. Lord knows how long they've been there. Use to carry Klipsch at one time. A couple of their sales folks own Klipsch and 'ol Sunburnwilly hangs out there from time-to-time.

I was going to suggest Charleston! It's a fascinating place, very colorful and very nicely preserved buildings and atmosphere. Great eating, too, although I don't recall the restaurants I and my bro went to when we visited Charleston and Savannah last year about this time.

We found Charleston quite a bit more interesting and atmospheric than Savannah. It's history is engrossing, and I suggest going on one of the tours. We had a great, exceptionally knowledgeable tour guide on ours. Academia is a surprise, too, with good schools at the University of Charleston.

The horses are required to wear diapers, a good thing.

Is there anything specific I can do, eat, see etc on the way back up or is anyone willing to let me audition their systems?

You are welcome to come over and check out my 5 Belle set-up . I can't speak for Billy , wstrickland1 , but he has a 3 Lascala 2 Heresy set-up .

Is there anything specific I can do, eat, see etc on the way back up or is anyone willing to let me audition their systems?

You are welcome to come over and check out my 5 Belle set-up . I can't speak for Billy , wstrickland1 , but he has a 3 Lascala 2 Heresy set-up .

That sounds awesome, can you send me a pm with the essentials?

Well, if you hit the Fredericksburg, VA area at a decent time (located about halfway between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA right on I-95), you'll have to stop off of Exit 130. I live not even a mile from the interstate. Will have to let you listen to a full RF-7 setup with B&K amp as well as treat you to some good Mexican at Poncho Villa's

Well, if you hit the Fredericksburg, VA area at a decent time (located about halfway between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA right on I-95), you'll have to stop off of Exit 130. I live not even a mile from the interstate. Will have to let you listen to a full RF-7 setup with B&K amp as well as treat you to some good Mexican at Poncho Villa's

I'd love to stop by, can you pm me your address and such. Thanks for the invite.

• Moderators

I might take you up on that offer.

Just let us know , even if it's after you take off and you decide to drive the rest of the way. I will get you the phone number so you can call if you decide, were almost always home.

I'd love to stop by, can you pm me your address and such. Thanks for the invite.

PM Sent!