NJ to Savannah Georgia to Mississippi to Tenesse to Washington DC

Jay481985

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm hoping Ace can drop by on his way home. He and I have exchanged e-mails and it may be late Saturday if he can do it -- I'm right off his probable Interstate route.

I can't equal the French Quarter, but can serve up a little variety of LP, CD, and DVD music in short order.

All-tube electronics and Klipsch, baby!

• Moderators

I made Dtel cry as well.....

I ate about 1/4 of the amount of Wasabi as him, and I had tears in my eyes. [:'(]

Jay is my new Hero, he plans his destinations by good places to eat ! [:P]

• Moderators

Jay has left the building, well this morning he left, he is Tennessee now on his food and music tour.

I am going to let Jay tell where he went on his trip, but I will say it was fun having him here.

Thanks for passing buy, come back anytime.

Jay has left the building, well this morning he left, he is Tennessee now on his food and music tour

Though I see he's now home, I'll make the comment that he came through. I was initially under the impression he was going to swing in, jam for an hour and blast out. Once he realized how far out in boonies'ville he was, he stayed over.

I can't compete with New Orleans nor Tubes (anymore) & Klispch. He had to settle for 5 dogs attacking him and a chance to walk them in the yardbombed field. (think tiny cow patties). Had he stayed longer, I could have put him to work digging up two large boulders (think of a 1/2 height seven foot wide desk). He slithered out before I could get him his hard hat.

Turns out, he wanted to drive down "The Dragon" (or is it called The Dragon's Tail?) You think I'd know since I've lived here for a while now.

http://www.openroadjourney.com/loadroute.asp?rid=969

Upon looking at this map, I now wonder if I've unknowingly driven part of it. The south leg from Tellico Plains, down to near McCarysville.... Now that I look at this map, I think this is part of the road I took to drive to Bob's house (Cigarbum). If this is accurate, then I'm here to tell you, this road is indeed, a workout. Not much time to appreciate the beauty of the trip as every time you make a hairpin turn, there was another one coming right at you. Not what I wanted to drive in the dark on my way home from Bob's.

Anyways....turns out there is a rock slide on part of it and it's restricted so I don't think Jay made the drive.

Jay, it was good seeing you again.

Nice seeing you again as well. I tried but Mike was right they shut it down but the backroads there were amazing as well.

I wish I could have stayed there longer, soinds kinda fun to actually dig up boulders. But I guess i did earn my keep as you did put me to work!

Oh and LarryC could not stop eating you coffee cake. LarryC impressive setup!

Richard, that coffee cake was outstanding, would stand up to Starbuck's or ANY commercial CC any time!! Thanks very much for sending it, by personal messenger no less. I slowed way down on eating it when Jay said it was made with 2 sticks (or one stick?) of butter!

And, thank you DTEL for acquainting Jay and everyone with Olive Salad for Muffuletta sandwiches! I'm going to have to shop for Italian meats, cheese and bread, and make me a sandwich!

It was neat seeing Jay again; he was at the last Indy Pilgrimage, even attended one of my classical sessions. We talked about Jubes and MWM's, which have seriously captivated him! We also chatted about Diesel cars, substitute eyeball-scalding headlight bulbs, and audio systems. I played a bit of The Planets for him, and then he had to go.

Jay is living testimony to the value of GPS nav, and covers more ground faster than anyone I know, arriving way ahead of schedule considering he drove up from Tennessee. I'll have to try the Dragon's Tail some time!

Thanks, guys --

Larry

• Moderators

It was fun having Jay here and he likes to eat so we got along great.

Mr Larry the Muffuletta is a really simple sandwich compared to some. I think it's the Olive Salad that make it taste so good. When Jay came back here from his French Quarter eating tour he brought two extra Muffuletta's, I am surprised he didn't get attacked when he walked in, although the sandwiches did disappear.

Your right the headlights Jay has in his car can scald eyeballs, you can see the road like daylight a mile away, glad everyone don't have them.

I had two things that made it possible to do the trip well in the car, at nights its definitely the lightbulb (xenon light bulbs that came with the car plus others that did noy [:P]) and a gps system that apparently can find its way in the middle of no where......

Second I made it on time or early to LarryC happened to be due to a female driver.....

Richard, that coffee cake was outstanding, would stand up to Starbuck's or ANY commercial CC any time!! Thanks very much for sending it, by personal messenger no less. I slowed way down on eating it when Jay said it was made with 2 sticks (or one stick?) of butter!

One stick per cake. I double the recipe so that is why Jay might have thought two sticks.

I'll have to admit, it's usually a hit. I know I personally love it and will make a couple of them at the slightest provocation to do so.

I had two things that made it possible to do the trip well in the car, at nights its definitely the lightbulb (xenon light bulbs that came with the car plus others that did noy [:P]) and a gps system that apparently can find its way in the middle of no where......

Second I made it on time or early to LarryC happened to be due to a female driver.....

a gps system that apparently can find its way in the middle of no where......

apparently!

Here's the recipe for you Jay. (and Larry, or anyone else that might be curious as to what was talked about)

Recipe below is for a SINGLE cake 350º 45/50 minutes (when I double recipe, I usually take OUT at 40 min, but that’s my oven)

I just start the mixer and one by one, add everything straight down the list.

1-Cup Sugar
1 Stick Butter (let soften to room temp)
2 eggs

1-Cup Sour Cream
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda (mix these together in a side dish, then add to mixing bowl)

2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Cups sifted flour less 2 tablespoons (Don’t know why, I stole this recipe from my mother)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1-Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Cup coarsely chopped Walnuts

Sugar/Cinnamon mix on top prior to baking. (I use about 3 soup spoonfuls on each cake)

Goes into one of those fluted Angle Food pans with the center cone that pulls out.

Jay,

Looked and did not see it. What car did you Drive? Would you recommend it ?

looked at what? Xenon bulb is the name of a system in certain cars (HID or high intensity discharge bulbs) those bluish tint bulbs that are 3-4 times as bright as regular halogen.