Emotiva XPA-5 input question

madfusker

I have a Pioneer 1019 and it's just not enough to drive my RF83's and RC64. I've been looking at 3-5 channel amps and the Emotiva XPA-5 seems like a pretty popular amp for the money. Since I am new to amps I don't understand how to get the output of the 1019 into the XPA-5. I see on the diagrams they have a single RCA but I think my 1019 only has a pre-out type connection for the subwoofer. Can anyone tell me how it's done? Or a better amp to buy for about the same money?

Not 100% sure here but.... I don't think you can add an amp to the 1019. Sucks, but that's the breaks.

I'm going to say what a bunch of people reading this are thinking.... You need a better receiver/pre-pro. The 1019 is a fine receiver, but for someone who has your set-up, you need something else.

I would suggest maybe an Emotiva pre/pro set-up (UMC-1/XPA-5).

I'm not trying to offend any Pioneer users, I just think with a 83/64 front soundstage he needs something else.

I would agree with everyone here that an upgrade is in order. BUT..... You can take your speaker level outputs and knock them down to line level. This is very popular in adding aftermarket amps to existing car stereos. I am unsure of the available devices to do this, but Carver made such an animal years ago. I Believe it was a model number like Z1 or ZL1. It was designed to be used with up to 5 channels. I used it on a pro-logic receiver that pushed out 150 per channel to the front three and had a single 150 to split between the rears. The surround channel was a series config inside the avr resulting in an 16 ohm load and my rears could not keep up with the fronts. I picked up the Carver device from Crutchfield, knocked the rear channel down to line level and then did a Y spliter to another amp to achieve a higher output. The rear on pro-logic was mono so there were no issues. If you could find one of these devices you could do the same. With the right value and wattage rated resitor you could also do the same.

I'd suggest getting a different receiver along with an external amp. There are many older (4-5) year old receivers with preouts that are very affordable now. You'd most likely be without HDMI. I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR 525, it works very well for my needs. Here's one on Ebay, shipping is a little high though. Look into Craigslist too, great deals without the shipping.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone. I didn't plan on picking up the RF83's when I bought the 1019, but they fell in my lap for $895 and they are mint! I was surprised I couldn't produce much bass with them at mid volumes but I assume that's the power gap with the 1019. From those who know; would the external amp really make the difference at low to mid volume levels? I don't need it so loud that the block can hear it too but I do need quality sound with some punch at the mid levels. I assume the external amp would do a better job at that?

Guest davidness

All I can say is when I moved from my AV Receiver to a seperate amp (in my case a Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp), it was as though I added a subwoofer into my RF-7 boxes. I had significantly more bass... surprise!

I was surprised I couldn't produce much bass with them at mid volumes but I assume that's the power gap with the 1019.

How do you have the RF-83's setup in the receiver? If you want change the setting to "Large" or "Full", I don't know how the 1019 describes it, and see how you like the sound. This will send the full range to your RF-83's and should/will produce bass.

James

I was surprised I couldn't produce much bass with them at mid volumes but I assume that's the power gap with the 1019.

How do you have the RF-83's setup in the receiver? If you want change the setting to "Large" or "Full", I don't know how the 1019 describes it, and see how you like the sound. This will send the full range to your RF-83's and should/will produce bass.

James

James,

I have the RF83's as Large, RC64 as Small (do most people set this as large? I think it's harder to hear voice if there is much base here). The auto calibrate puts the RF83's just under neutral for the far left two EQ's (63 and 125Hz). In order to get bass I have to move them up a ways to about 3/4. Granted I do have a subwoofer, but want to produce some bass with these six - 8" woofers too since I have them.

Another thing is that I am bi-amping these since my receiver supports it. I am not sure if I am hurting myself by doing this with a low powered receiver or not? I haven't tried single yet and just went bi-amp right when I got them. I assumed it was better if I could support it. Any thoughts there?

Andrew

Granted I do have a subwoofer, but want to produce some bass with these six - 8" woofers too since I have them.

I know what you mean, I have my RF-83's set to large and can really hear and feel it when I turn it up... I'm running separates, Outlaw 950 pre/pro with an Outlaw 750 amp with the amp rated at 165 wpc.

Another thing is that I am bi-amping these since my receiver supports it.

Technically it's not really Bi-Amping, since you have it I would say try it single and see what you think.

I just posted the comments from a Klipsch engineer about Bi-Amping and Bi-Wiring, he wrote and posted it some time ago.

James

I would suggest maybe an Emotiva pre/pro set-up (UMC-1/XPA-5).

when this was posted, this tread should have been over. get the UMC-1 and you are set. even when they come out with a new receiver (time's change) you get it for 40% off. you'll never have to worry about being outdated again. you already have the amp and speakers, get the brains of it all and have a kick butt system.

jrod, you couldn't have said it any better!

GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1. GET THE UMC-1