1st Post

Firesign

Hello to all. I'm a new member but have "lurked about' reading the forums for a few months. I'm 60 & the proud owner of 3 Heresy I's from the mid 70's & am already thinking about expansions/upgrading. I would like to end up with a pair of Cornwalls for stereo & front channel home theater use & keep the Heritage I's for center & surround duties (mod them or change to Heresy !!'s, then upgrade to !!!'s with the kits). Has anyone compared a "Crite modded" Heresy I with the Heresy III or would that be overkill for surround duties? Also my wife believes that "One can't have too many cats" - has any one found an effective way of cat-proofing speakers yet? I guess I shouldn't mind about the cats as I'm starting to develop a "One can't have too many Klipsch speakers" view of life.(That should be a T-shirt). Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I don't think a Crites-modded Heresy I would be overkill at all, but others will chime in soon with more wisdom on a Heritage HT.

We have one black cat with front claws. When he was under a year old, I made a scratch post and introduced it with cat nip. With that intro, he's never scratched a speaker. Don't know if this works with cats that are grown and set in their ways.

Firesign,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you've been hanging around a bit.

If I'm understanding what you are thinking, one path would be to upgrade the HIs to HII's and then sometime to HIII's? The differences between the HI and HII would prevent a satisfactory upgrade there. However, Heresy II's can easily be upgraded to HIII's with a Klipsch upgrade kit.

I think the all Heritage HT is a very good use for your three HI's. Cornwall mains would also be awsome.

The HI's actually don't need much to be restored to factory spec, which is very good. The crossovers will need to be refreshed by replacing the caps with fresh caps. Crites offers kits or turn key work to fix the crossovers. This is not really an upgrade, but will be a very pleasant improvement in sound.

I have used some Crites mods on Khorns, LaScalas and Heresys with very good results. I really like the CT125 tweeter as a drop in replacement for the K77. To my ears, they sound very good. Also have dropped the tweet/mid crossover point to 4500hz. This works very well in Heritage speakers and it only requires a small mod on the crossover.

Enjoy.

Just wanted to thank y'all for the kind attention to my question. I'll be doing a lot more searches here in the forums as many of my questions may have been answered by someones' previous post (but just in case, feel free to give more advice here - Lol). It's so nice to be able to hear music through Klipsch Heritage speakers now after all the years without them... Thanks to all.

Thanks for input, Daddy Dee. I realized that I couldn't change a Heresy I to a II, but was more interested in the difference between a I & a III - my fault for not making that clear from the start. I'll do more research on that topic since I'm sure it's been posted before. Thanks also for the input on the CT125 drop-in. Will the drop to the mid-tweeter x-over point you mentioned work well with that mod or should it just be done with the K77? Many thanks to you & to all who give their time & attention to questions on these forums.

Welcome to the forum, as you have found there is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than willing to share.

Daddy Dee, can you elaborae on the mid/tweeter crossover mod, what and how to do it, and did you do this on your LaScala's?

Or is this a question for Bob Crites?

Firesign, Bob is a super nice guy and a great adviser on your questions. Are you waiting for the electrcian or someone like him?

Tom

Thanks for input, Daddy Dee. I realized that I couldn't change a Heresy I to a II, but was more interested in the difference between a I & a III - my fault for not making that clear from the start. I'll do more research on that topic since I'm sure it's been posted before. Thanks also for the input on the CT125 drop-in. Will the drop to the mid-tweeter x-over point you mentioned work well with that mod or should it just be done with the K77? Many thanks to you & to all who give their time & attention to questions on these forums.

You bet. Don't use the K77 with the 4500hz crossover mod. The CT125 is virtually bulletproof even below that frequency, but the K77 could blow a diaphragm. I've seen people do it with a K77 and be OK, it's just not the recommended thing.

Klipsch is able to pull off a 4500 or thereabouts with the K77 in the new Khorns and LaScalas, but they use a sixth order crossover. I couldn't even begin to explain why that does not jeopardize the K77 in those apps, but the result is very cool.

Welcome to the forum, as you have found there is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than willing to share.

Daddy Dee, can you elaborae on the mid/tweeter crossover mod, what and how to do it, and did you do this on your LaScala's?

Or is this a question for Bob Crites?

Firesign, Bob is a super nice guy and a great adviser on your questions. Are you waiting for the electrcian or someone like him?

Tom

Yes, I did this on my LaScalas and Khorns with very pleasing results. The vintage crossovers let the K55 poop out at 6000hz which is where the K77 picks up. I never noticed it until after the mod, but the K55 is not very well behaved as it nears the top of it's range. That CT125 takes over and the sound is effortless.

It is a good idea to check with Bob on the specific values, but the mod is accomplished by changing the value of a cap and adding an inductor. I had Bob mod my crossovers and he was able to use connectors which allowed for easy conversion back to the original values if desired.

Another thing I did was drop a tap on the mid. This lowers the K55 by 3db. In my room at least, this was an improvement to the balance to my ears.

inductor

Thanks tk - I just mentioned to "She who must be obeyed" that there had been more kind responses to my post & that I had been asked if I was "waiting for the electrician..." Not only did the laughter do us good, but "confused the cats" (insert extranious Monty Python reference here ____). Yes, I'm still waiting & use the name for my World of Warcraft warrior character where I've crushed many a dwarf in on-line combat since I was handed the pliers. Glad to see that "we're all bozos on this bus...." Thanks again for all the help & info from you, DD, & all. To paraphrase Freewheelin Frank, "Klipsch will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Klipsch".

Well, it's looks as if y'all are bringing me luck as well as information. I just put in an E-bay bid on some 74 Cornwalls (coincidently the same year I almost bought a pair I was saving for, but ended up sending the money to a girlfriend so she could come over to Germany for a visit. She ended up keeping the money rather than spending it on the plane ticket - oh well, if I'd known then what I know now I'd just have made different mistakes than I did - lol). 1st ones I've seen anywhere close to my price range including shipping. I'll be able to use the Cornwalls as mains for HT & alone for old-school stereo listening. I'm really glad to have found this forum & hopefully will soak up enough knowledge from y'all in the future to be able to pay-forward the help I've received by being able to answer someone elses' questions.

Well, it's looks as if y'all are bringing me luck as well as information. I just put in an E-bay bid on some 74 Cornwalls (coincidently the same year I almost bought a pair I was saving for, but ended up sending the money to a girlfriend so she could come over to Germany for a visit. She ended up keeping the money rather than spending it on the plane ticket - oh well, if I'd known then what I know now I'd just have made different mistakes than I did - lol). 1st ones I've seen anywhere close to my price range including shipping. I'll be able to use the Cornwalls as mains for HT & alone for old-school stereo listening. I'm really glad to have found this forum & hopefully will soak up enough knowledge from y'all in the future to be able to pay-forward the help I've received by being able to answer someone elses' questions.

Welcome to the forum! Picking up a set of Cornwalls will really open up the door to modifications and improvements. Just for some fun, do a search on Cornscala's and enjoy the reading. If you are in Germany, you will also have opportunity's to pick up some vintage SABA gear for peanuts and there's a special sound from some of those units, especially a nice big old table radio.

Thanks for welcome, Pete. I'm pretty sure the Cornwalls are going to open up a lot of options. I've glanced at some of the info on the Cornscalas on the Crites website & everything I've read here is very strongly positive about Mr.Crites & his work. Only had the pleasure to live in Germany twice (65-68 as an Air Force brat & 74-76 as active duty Army EM). Was just about to buy the Cornwalls at the Heidelberg Audio Club on base when the "misappropriation of funds occurred". I'm a proud Texan & live midway between Austin & San Antonio - which is why I was just able to get a pair of 77 Cornwalls on E-bay that were listed as "pick-up only". Now all I have to do is drive to Dallas & back... I think I remember enjoying "road trips" before I got old - lol.

Think I figured out how to "catproof" the speakers.... I found a company on the web (Reliable Hardware Company - no affiliation with them) that has both custom square & stock round metal grills. I think I'll try putting round metal grills over the woofers (much cheaper than the price of full coverage custom sizes), & put the grill cloths back on after I spray the cloth with a liquid cat repellant. If the repellant doesn't work the woofer grills should - lol.

I used to have the same opinion of them till I started thinking of them as "little panthers". Pound for pound they'll beat most things. It's just that they revert back to "kitten-hood" when they're fed & cared for by humans. Just remember, we've had a partnership with cats almost as long as with dogs & without both of them we would have taken a lot longer to get civilized (cats kept mice/rats out of granaries, which allowed us to store food against famines leading to larger groups of humans, trade, & eventually Superbowls, March Madness, and Klipsch speakers...). [:)]

I dearly loved my cats... strictly indoor creatures here. They provided much comfort and happiness.Now that the two have passed on, I won't replace them. They were both in the their upper teens... The best two cats one could ever have. Partly my reason for not getting another.

Bruce

post-7149-13819555956144_thumb.jpg

post-7149-1381958209083_thumb.jpg