Stereo vs 5.1

zappa883

Wondering what the fellow members think.

When watching a "stereo" TV show or listening to a "stereo" CD, what listening mode do others prefer ? Stereo as per broadcast/recording or let the AVR do it's thing and process the stereo signal into an artificial 5.1 ? Personally I try all the differert surround modes to see what works best for each show/cd. I've tabled this topic with some buddies and everyone has a different view so I'm throwing to the wolf pack here to see what happens seeing there is a combined level of real knowledge and opinions here..

...everyone has a different view...

I'd say that it is a strong function of your setup. With my rig, I always choose stereo. I'd say that the only time that I use synthesized surround from my preamp is when the source material is a mono movie soundtrack.

Music - 2 channel stereo plus sub

TV - PLII Cinema

Blu-ray - whatever they were recorded in

For music my subs volume is set to +5 which matches my other speakers using my SPL.

For TV my subs volume increases to +11 The subs volume switches automatically between music and TV with the RT-10d's remote capability and the way I set up my remote.

Good deal with the auto sub set up. Safe to assume it's not the 900's remote that does this ?

I have the URC MX-850 and MX-800 remotes, (both are programmed identically they are just at two different locations for convience) I programed the auto change into the macro when selecting any source.

I really like the remote ability of the digitally controlled Klipsch subs.