New HT and looking at these Bookshelf speakers. Need help

subw00fer

My first post in this forum and so far its been very helpful. So here is my situation:

I have a decent sized living room (17x18x10) with ceramic tiles. I have a sectional couch which sits about 12 feet away at the wedge of it. My tv and front speakers sit in a wall cutout that measures 17 deep, 36 high and 78 wide. I've been looking at the bookshelf Klipsch speakers and have listened to them in the store. Right now I'm between the WB-14, RB-61 and RB-51. I heard the WB-14 and RB-51 in a store and really liked them but can't determine the difference between all three. So my questions are:

1) What is the difference with the WB brand and why does it have a smaller frequency response range but cost the same as the 51s?

2) My wall cutout where the speakers will sit is only 17" deep. Should I be concerned about the 51s having rear firing and not enough room behind them? If there's not enough room, does that mean that I am forced to go with RB-61 since they are front firing? I'm not even sure if this matters or if the WB-14 would be a better choice.

3) Probably go with the RC-52 center. Should this be enough and match well?

I plan on powering these speakers with a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and a new SVS PC-12 NSD subwoofer.

thanks for your help

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Yamaha and Klipsch mesh very well with each other. Very good for HT as well as 2ch. SVS has a very good rep here in the forums.

I've heard the RB-61's and they have a great sound. I can't comment on the RB-51's or the WB-14's.

I'm selling a pair of RB-35's that would work extremely well for mains and they are front ported. They have an 8" driver and are in excellent condition. There is another forum member selling an RC-35 center that would match perfectly with it. Just another option for ya.

Ask all the questions you want, we're here to help.

If they fit, do not even think about it... Get Youth's RB-35's and the RC-35. You will not regret it, plus you are getting them (the RB-35's) for a song! They are in amazing condition and Youth has a great reputation around here.

Those RB-35 speakers are big and I can fit them. So they are $325 for the pair? Do you have a matching center speaker as well? If not, which would best matched? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but around $1000 for the three fronts.

The RC-35 would match seemlessly, that's what you should look for.

Here's one on Audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1273804848&/Klipsch-RC-35-Center-Pristine-

Even with shipping from Youth's 35's and this RC-35, you'd be well under your budget!

Also, post in the Garage Sale section of this forum that you are looking for one. There might be a member selling one for a better price.

• Moderators

So they are $325 for the pair?

Yes, $325 + actual shipping. I'll cover the Paypal fees. The matching center is an RC-35. If I am not mistaken, I believe someone recently posted an RC-35 in the Garage Sale but I cannot find the listing. Can't remember what they were asking. The last several that sold on Ebay sold between $200 and $250. You could easily buy your front three for well under $1000 and used the money saved for other gear.

I just emailed a guy that is local that is selling an RC-35 to see how much he wants for it and what condition it is in. I'll let you know what I find out.

I'll PM you my cell number if you have any questions.

Michael

• Moderators

Nice find Jrod and good suggestion about placing a WTB (Want to Buy) ad in the Garage Sale.

There might be a member selling one for a better price.

Does anyone remember who was selling the RC-35 recently? I've slept since then but somehow I think theirs might have been slightly less than $200 but don't quote me on that.

• Moderators

Your 2400 will have no problem pushing them. The great thing about Klipsch is that their speakers are very efficient. This means that it takes very little power to drive them. My RX-V1800 is 130 watts/ch and is driving a pair of RF-83's, RC-64 and a pair of RS-52's with no problem. You have to double your wattage to get a 3db increase in sound so you will never hear the 10 watts/ch difference in receivers.

I just sold a complete RB-35 setup(RB-35,RC-35,RS-35) to a coworker and he could not be more pleased. He is a big gamer and movie buff and he never new how good it could sound. The RB-35's work well as a 2 channel setup with music. I vote you buy Youthman's 35's for a great price. I have seen and heard them and they are in great shape. The Yamaha RX-V2400 has plenty of power to run the whole setup with ease.

Bill

I just want to concur, I have the RB-35s and RC-35 and I think most people on this site would consider it a "start up" system, but most of my friends that hear this set up are just flat out floored. The RB-35s do an amazing job as mains and the RC-35 is simply an amazing center channel. I had the RC-10 but sold it to pick up the RC-35 and I just couldn't believe how much better the depth and dialogue was while using the RC-35. You really should think about picking those up, Youthman is a good guy and he's selling his RB-35s for a good price and down the road if you decide to upgrade your main speakers you can always use the RB-35s as your surrounds, that's exactly what I plan on doing to be honest with you. They do such an amazing job as mains I can't even wait to see what they do as surrounds once I upgrade in a year or so. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!