anyone use the RB-61s as mains?

david118383

What do you think of them? Is it better to go with the RC-52 or RC-62 for a center? How big of an upgrade is the Reference line over the Synergy? I am currently using SF-1s as mains, an SC-1 for center, and SS-1s as surrounds and am wondering how big of an upgrade I can expect. I'm planning on using the SS-1s as surrounds until I can save up for Reference surrounds.

• Moderators

Have you checked your local dealer to see if you can audition the RB-61's for yourself? I've never heard the Synergy line myself. The best judge will be what your ears tell you.

I have heard the RB-61's and they sounded great when paired up with a good sub. With a 6.5" driver, they don't have enough bottom end without a sub.

I have compared the RC-52 and the RC-62 and to me, the RC-62 is a much better center than the RC-52. I heard the RC-52 with the RF-82's and it just couldn't keep up. The RC-62 is a very good center channel.

i have. i set up a friend's ht with the RB-61's as the mains. it was a 2.1 system. the sub he has is eD A2-300. i was very impressed with just those up front. for small book shelves, they really sound good. you could go all out and get a RC-64 to pair up with your rb-61's. i know they are not timber matched but they are in the same class and you will most likely not hear the shift in sound stage. there is quite a few people on here that have the rc-64 paird up with different speakers that are not the rf-63 or rf-83.

btw,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I have a large room and I'm using the 61's as the left and right fronts... I'm pairing them with a JBL sub and the rc-52 in the center.... I've been very pleased with the performance.... I will say that I upgraded from a thrown together speaker setup but again I've been pleased with this setup...

• Moderators

the sub I have on order is the ED A2-300.

I believe Inventor has that sub as well and he has spoken very highly of it. Let us know how it sounds once you get it setup.

Wouldn't the RC-64 be overkill though in a small to medium-sized room?

Remember what forum you are in. Nothing is ever overkill around here. [:D]

Seriously, I saw a guy's photos of an RF-83 system in a tiny dorm room. I think the bed was about 3 feet from the speakers. That's pretty crazy.

I think I'll go with the RC-62 as it's smaller and much less expensive.

The RC-62 is a very capable center. I think you will be pleased with it's performance.

well it's hard to say "overkill." youth is right, if you are afraid of "overkill" you bought the wrong speakers and came to the wrong forum. the great thing about a center channel is it can't be overkill. it won't over power the mains because once everything is set up, you have to calibrate the system. everything will be set to the same db value, so one speaker won't be louder than another. the 64 will have better vocals and detail the the 62. now the 62 is cheaper and is actually the correct speaker to have. it was merely a half hearted suggestion. i was thinking of the road ahead. you may want to go bigger and get maybe the rf-63's and since you already have the rb-61's, you would have a very nice 5.1 set up. if you wanted to go to 7.1 all you would need is a nice RS series, i always suggest RS-42's, and your done. this way you don't have a center channel you have to resell. everyone here on the forum starts out planning on buying just 1 set of speakers and being "done." sorry, around here, just doesn't happen all that much. when you start out small and hear how wonderful it sounds, it's a matter of time before you think, "i wonder what the really nice speakers sound like." then you'll post a request to visit a fellow forum members house, you'll get several invites. you'll pick a day and go down there, and after you hear it, you'll just have to have it.

just trying to make you laugh. anyway you go, you'll be happy. good luck and as always, enjoy!

come one guys, no other welcomes?

You guys aren't lying about always wanting to upgrade, I am always thinking of ways to get bettter speakers even though for the room size I'm in this system is actually pretty darned good. But I am always looking for a good deal to make it even better lol

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate them. I would certainly consider the RC-64, but I just don't think I have the room for it plus it costs twice as much as the RC-62. The RC-64 is pretty large, right?

Plus I think when I upgrade I will go to the RF-62s or 82s and move the RB-61s to the rear. Is it okay to use the RB-61s as surrounds rather than say the RS-52s or 42s?

• Moderators

I had the SC-1 center, there is a big difference in sound with the RC-62 .

Yes you can later move the RB-61 to surrounds when you get the RF-62's.

My first Klipsch setup was not that much different then yours, SB-3 front, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds, in a small room with a good sub it was pretty good. We added on and the room became much bigger and they could not keep up but they were really good speakers for the price.

• Moderators

What ever you decide get the biggest/best you can even if that takes much longer to put it all together.

It is much more expensive to buy a certain model and then try to sell it to buy the bigger model later.

It took me a long time but to get what I wanted but now there's no upgrading to be done, ( as far as speakers go at least ).

youth, everytime i see that photo i think it's a really cool booster seat!

yeah, the 64 is a beast, but if you do buy it you'll never have to buy another center channel again, well at least for a long time. like i said, just a suggestion. if you are planning on getting 82's, then the suggestion grows stronger. i have heard them, the 82's to me isn't worth it. go to the 63's or something else. i had a pair of KSF 10.5's and to me my ksf's sounded every bit as good or better than the 82's. if you just have to have those, i would save a $100 or so and get the rf-62's. you won't hear a differnence, as long as you have a sub. again, just suggestions, something to think about.