should i even have this crappy sub in my HT setup?

zurv

The weak spot in my setup is the subwoofer and i don't have the money now to blow $1500-$2000 on a new one (and even if i did - that is just a retarded amount of money for something that doesn't seem that ($) important to me (am i very wrong)?

Here is my setup (TMI i'm sure):
Receiver: Denon AVR-4810CI (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5118.asp)
Front speakers: Klipsch RF-63
Center speaker: Klipsch RC-64
Side speakers: Klipsch RS-62
Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12 ( http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/ksw-12-overview/ ) ugh!

HTPC: i7 @ 4.2ghz. ATI 5870. windows 7. Bluray drive, blah blah
Directv h20 dvr, PS3, xbox 360
TV: Samsung UN55B8000 (55" LED LCD)

What I have been doing is setting the front speakers to large and hope'n Audyssey fixes up the mess. :) but is it even worth having that crappy woofer in the mix?

suggestions are also welcome for maybe a new woofer... but their costs still hurt my brain. (and the floors need to be redone ^_^ which is a better use for the credit card debt)

Zurv,

Welcome to the forum. No doubt your current subwoofer is the weak link in your system. You have a very high quality set of speakers with a rock solid receiver feeding them. You definitely do not have to spend $1500.00 to $2000.00 on a good quality sub. In the used market today you can get that $2000.00 sub for a fraction of the cost. Look on your local C-list for names like Velodyne, SVS, HSU, and sort through them and come back to the forum and ask for opinions. We are very eager to help.

By the way, where are you located? We too can help you look in your area for deals.

Bill

What I have been doing is setting the front speakers to large and hope'n Audyssey fixes up the mess. :) but is it even worth having that crappy woofer in the mix?

Does your sub even receive a signal when your mains are set to "large"? Even if it does, I'd set them to "small" and cross them over at 80 Hz to start. You may be having some cancellation issues. Have you calibrated with an SPL meter, or just used the receivers mic?

i don't have the money now to blow $1500-$2000 on a new one (and even if i did - that is just a retarded amount of money for something that doesn't seem that ($) important to me (am i very wrong)?

If you've got $1000, here is probably the last sub that you'll need to buy...I believe that it will sound extremely good with your setup. It isn't very small, though.

If you've got less $s, but can woodwork, there is an alternative that costs about $250US. and is about half of the output of the previous sub.

Chris

what about the PB12-Plus ( http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm ) vs that link above?

yeah... i think i do need to get something. After investing all the money in the other stuff...

though personally still i don't "get" why the wooper is so important. But i trust others that tell me it is :) In a few years i'll be 40 and i don't care about pump'n base that shakes my apt :)

In a few years i'll be 40 and i don't care about pump'n base that shakes my apt :)

(i'm NYC btw)

Too bad... [:'(] You could try and turn it down ( [6] )- it doesn't need much in the way of an amplifier to drive it (~100-200 Watts).

I think the SVS PB12 Plus is an excellent choice with your system. It is built solid and with high quality parts and should mate very well with the RF-63 system. Great price/performance ratio.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/svs-pb12-plus-subwoofer-1-2006-part-7.html

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/132985.aspx

Bill

I think the SVS PB12 Plus is an excellent choice with your system

Nah...I think the DTS-10 dominates other alternatives when you get up to this price range (or higher)...but, who am I? [6]

If space is the driving factor , then by all means - do the direct-radiating sub thing...[bs]

Chris

EDIT: Here is the thread on the DTS-10.

I own two SPUDs (clones). I can only imagine what this one sounds like...[:D]

Just how many other unassembled kits are there in this price range anyways? Wink

Didn't you have an Erector Set when you were a kid? "Come'on"

Anyway, once you assemble it: it's done--a screw driver and some caulk. That's it...

You can then have it in any decorator color that you want (i.e., buy the paint and paint it). Or, you can encase it in a nice quilt (as my WAF is going to do for our SPUDs), or you can just stain and varnish it, or you can veneer it, etc.

When you think about it, it's all "win-win".

[;)]

I'd be honored to hear your's one day if the situation ever arose.

If you're ever going to be in the area, drop me a line. It'd be my honor to have you over...

Chris

I'd be honored to hear your's one day if the situation ever arose.

If you're ever going to be in the area, drop me a line. It'd be my honor to have you over...

Chris

I don't get that far North that often, but I'll definitely holler. Same goes for you if you're ever by the coast and have a desire to hear one of those distortion laden IB's[;)].