The first two acoustic panels are up

jhoak

I hung the first two panels this morning. They're constructed of 24” X 48” X 2” Roxul 60 mineral wool with 1/4” birch plywood backing. The edges would have been a lot prettier if I had framed them in wood but they're not horrid.

Next up is a grouping of 18” X 24” X 2” panels on the opposite wall. Those will get built over the next week or so. I'm hoping to install them next weekend.

I can already tell a difference in the amount of “echo” in the room. I'm curious to hear the final results when they're all up.

Here's the photo of the first two in place.

Posted Image

Did you wrap them in any fabric? If so what kind did you use?

Would it be too late to add some kind of border or trim piece if you really wanted?

They look good and great to hear that they did improve your listening enjoyment. Thats what it's all about. [H] [Y]

James

What did you use to affix to the walls?

On the backs are two of the small picture hanger strips. The ones with several V grooves in them and fastened by small nails at either end. On the wall I used "Monkey hooks". By using my laser lever I was able to center them on the speakers and get them level with each other pretty easilly. It only took about 30 minutes each to get them measured out and hung.

Did you wrap them in any fabric? If so what kind did you use?

Would it be too late to add some kind of border or trim piece if you really wanted?

They look good and great to hear that they did improve your listening enjoyment. Thats what it's all about. CoolYes

James

They are wrapped in a burlap material. The color is "celery". I purchased the material at the same place I got the Roxul 60 from.

I could pretty easilly build some manner of decorative frame to put around them. Who knows I might still. It's just me here so it's not like I have any WAF to deal with.

I was very surprised how much of the echo they took out of the room. I'm really anxious to get the rest of them built and put up.

Wow, they look great! I bet they do make a difference and it is hard to imagine how it will sound with more up! [:o]

Keep up the great work and I too vote for leaving how they are, they look fine.

Make sure to keep us posted and thanks for posting this.

Dennie

Wow, they look great! I bet they do make a difference and it is hard to imagine how it will sound with more up! [:o]

Keep up the great work and I too vote for leaving how they are, they look fine.

Make sure to keep us posted and thanks for posting this.

Dennie

jhoak, Great look you have going there. I hope you don't mind the intrusion just wanted to thank you for giving me the nudge to finally get mine hung in the new place. They really expand the sound stage and I rate the improvement "Top Notch".

I would have to say the treatments do as much for the sound (can't say room as it has changed) as moving from Mc SS to VRD/Peach and much more than tube rolling. Just attempting to put it in prospective FOR ME. As several recent threads and posts indicate anyone can do this cheaper than most, if not all, upgrades. These DIY cost me less than $300 and my latest tube roll purchase more than double that.

Begging your pardon here is post 1 of 2 of the recent hang: