Computer experts: Need a new computer - need help focusing the lens...

I'm currently on the lookout for a local builder/tech/vendor that knows his/her stuff that I can get some help/do biz with...someone who can do the build and get the components "talking to each other" and run with it from there.

That is actually a very valid approach. If you can find a good local shop that knows what they are doing, you can often get a very nice system, plus if you do have a problem - nothing like the local neighborhood shop to give you essentialy one-on-one support. Of course, if the business ends up folding, than you are pretty much SOL as far as support (again, "Google is your friend" comes into play here). Certainly does not hurt to go talk to them and see what they can do for you, plus you'll get the satisfaction of supporting the local economy.

I have an older Dell comp with a dual 800MHZ xeon and 512MB memory....I wonder if that could be a candidate for a Linux box...and if it (which will not load the OS due to malware issues) can be brought back to life....

Sure - that would actually be an excellent candidate for trying out Linux on. The OS is free for the download, so it is not like you'll be out of anything if in the end, it does not work for you, or you just don't like it. Getting the download itself may be a problem if you don't have access to a good fast connection, as it is pretty darn big, however. Perhaps get one of your friends to download it and burn to a CD for you if necessary. That is assuming that the problems you are experiencing are all software based (with no actual hardware issues). If indeed it is only because of a crufted up/corrupted OS install that is causing the problems, than doing a full wipe and reinstall will almost be like having a new computer again. Just hope there is nothing on the machine as is that you wanted to keep (probably is lost anyway at this point if you did not have a backup). You may just find that you won't need to get a new computer after all if that one ends up working and doing everything you need with Linux on it! [8-|].

Saying windows 7 is vastly better than Vista is not saying much. The latest windows versions are sad. I pray they get there act together soon because I have to support 200 of them. If I were going the windows route I would buy a new computer and install XP Pro. I've done it a couple times for people at work already.

Linux is fun. Nothing like compiling a kernel with only the items you need installed. Very fast boot :)

All those messages you received was from HP not Windows, they are easilly removed.

Absolutely, I have windows 7 love it, best OS I have used BTW it is also on an HP computer, I like HP's build quality and prefer them. I do remove all the useless garbage software that HP installs and only keep software I like and use. I do a bit of tweaking and customizing and my computer is rock steady reliable and very fast. This computer is all original hardware with the exception of a USB card added for extra built in USB ports.

My start up time from turning ON to surfing the internet is 1 minute 45 seconds, no unwanted notices or pop-ups.

My internet connection speed is exceptionally fast, download 152.57 MBPS and upload 0.92 MBPS

Speed testing done at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ where I peg the gauge and my speed is off the gauge

speedtest.jpg

My computer tower is an HP 6110f that was purchased last October, 10/16/2009 for only $499.99 at Office Depot, I purchased it just before Windows 7 released so it originally came with Vista Home Premium installed and a free Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade offer which I later installed.

Pentium dual core E5300 2.60GHz with 6 GB memory.

This is definitely my favorite computer I have ever owned and the cheapest I have ever bought as well. I have extensively modded the hardware on other computers I've owned spending a lot of money. This computer is still all original hardware.

I don't game, but I do photo and video editing as well as web design with this computer and it is my main personal computer. It is completely quiet, very fast and rock solid reliable.

My start up time from turning ON to surfing the internet is 1 minute 45 seconds, no unwanted notices or pop-ups.

That would seem like an eternity to me. My Linux desktop for that same function: 35 seconds.

I am not in that big of hurry.... but when I see screen shots and video clips of Linux it looks very drab looking to me, Windows 7 is by far the best looking user interface I have seen.

That would seem like an eternity to me. My Linux desktop for that same function: 35 seconds.

1:45!? That is an eternity. From sleep to online in about 10 seconds on my Mac laptop as I never fully turn off the computer, but I do quit the internet browser (otherwise I'd be online in about 1 or 2 seconds). Am I in a hurry? Heck yeah! Not sure if there's a prettier or easier OS, at least that I've seen.

1:45!? That is an eternity. From sleep to online in about 10 seconds on my Mac laptop as I never fully turn off the computer, but I do quit the internet browser (otherwise I'd be online in about 1 or 2 seconds). Am I in a hurry? Heck yeah! Not sure if there's a prettier or easier OS, at least that I've seen.

1:45 is from a totally OFF state to actually surfing the internet, from sleep it would be nearly instantaneous. I don't get the Mac thing, the OS look doesn't appeal to me and the hardware is not very user customizable, give me a PC.

Apple suggests never turning off the computer but rather putting it in sleep mode. I've done this with the three Macs I've had with zero problems, no reason to shut it off. Windows is what I don't get. Pop ups and viruses and a million different ways to accomplish one task. Give me simplicity and the clean fresh look of the Apple OS. Tough to beat their software too, like iTunes and iPhoto. For the computer literate I guess Apple software is maybe too simplified? But plenty of graphic artists and programmers use Mac, so I guess it's more a personal preference.

Apple suggests never turning off the computer but rather putting it in sleep mode. I've done this with the three Macs I've had with zero problems, no reason to shut it off. Windows is what I don't get. Pop ups and viruses and a million different ways to accomplish one task. Give me simplicity and the clean fresh look of the Apple OS. Tough to beat their software too, like iTunes and iPhoto. For the computer literate I guess Apple software is maybe too simplified? But plenty of graphic artists and programmers use Mac, so I guess it's more a personal preference.

I have zero problems, I could just let the computer sleep and normally do if I am home, I do shut it off at night when I go to sleep or usually if I leave home otherwise it's ON all day. I have no problem with pop ups or viruses. I have never used iPhoto but I hated iTunes didn't like it's look and thought the music quality was poor, I took it off all my computers. I do lots of photo editing, web design, I have an online business, pay all bills and bank online and do just about everything on this computer, I have a dedicated music server that I built to use for music.