Trying to make some KHorn, but don't know what to use!

niklos0

Hi everyone!

I am trying to make some KlipschHorn myself! So I am searching for some informations about them.

First of all, I found those two plans: http://www.pirkensee.de/Downloads/Klipsch%20Horn.pdf for the "sub" and here http://www.pirkensee.de/Downloads/Klipsch%20Horn%20Standard.pdf for the whole speaker.

Do you think those plans are exact ?

Secondly I don't know what speakers I have to use. Do you know which one ? I want speakers that are the same one as the original one if it is possible! But I guess it won't be so I wish to find some that are "as much the same" as possible. Do you have any ideas?

Then I have to make the filters and I don't know (again) what to use. Again, I want something that is the same as the orginal one if possible.

Can anyone help me?

PS: I am from France and I am sorry for my poor English

Have a good day!

Niklos

Check this link to an old forum page. I haven't checked the accuracy of the parameters presented, but the page should provide you with some useful information if you are checking with local speaker vendors in an effort to reduce shipping costs for a possible driver that would perform similar to the K33.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/86.aspx?PageIndex=1

One additional aspect that may not be covered by the link above is the sensitivity of the K33 driver. Hopefully, a person with more specific knowledge can verify, but I believe that the Crites woofer is 97 db 1 watt / 1 meter. I suspect the K33 was similar, but I'm not positive.

Also, you may find the information interesting and useful regarding various 15" drivers that were modeled for the Khorn using the "Hornresp" modeling program. However, it does take some work to decipher the results.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117141.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thant you again, I'll cheak on that so I might find something good in france!

edit: It's awesome. I can find some of those woofers in france such as the eminence delta pro 15.

Thank you so much, (do you have any other graph with the midrange woofer? and the Tweeter?

I'm not trying to be nasty but if 300 bucks for shipping some components is too pricey for you, I think building Khorns from scratch might be too big a project for you. You might be better off finding a pair of Klipsch (insert model here) and just refurbishing them as a way to get your feet wet. The Khorn is a complex build and not suited to the beginner.

We do not know at what level your wood working skills are (Russ brings up a good point).

The Klipschorn is a difficult build, although it is a very nice sounding cabinet. If you do go that direction, I would suggest not trying to replicate the mid and high sections in an exact fashion (especially in terms of parts selection). There are plenty of alternatives (not all of them good ones however) for the mid and high sections and some of these may be more easily obtained in Europe. This suggestion does require some home work on your part so that the substitution results in an improvement over the stock version.

Before you narrow your option down to a Klipschorn, I would suggest that you search the old threads for a thread/website for a Klipschorn clone that was done by John Warren. That will give you a better sense of some of the woodworking headaches that you would run into. There are other options ....

In either case, good luck. It should be a fun project.

-Tom

...for a possible driver that would perform similar to the K33.

SPEC 15162
PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39 FS HZ 34.46
LE MH .96 MMS GMS 78.59
QM 7.39 CMS mm/N .2714
QE .410 RMS NS/M 2.3037
QT .390 VAS LTRS 301.66
XMAX MM 8.20 SD SCM 889.59
BL TM 11.88 EBP 84.4
EFF % 2.91 SPL dB 96.6
Wattage 150rms

Well I am actually not going to make the cabinet myself. I asked a professional to do it for me because I know that I am not able to do it.

Then, yes, I am searching for stuff I can find in france.

So I guess I am going to use:

Beyma CP-25 for the tweater

BMS 4590 or 4591 or 4592 or something else I don't know yet

Eminence delta pro 15 for the woofer

Then I need the actual horn and the filter. So far I don't know what to use for that...

I am going to search for the John Warren projet!

Thank y'all!