Noticeable difference between a Marantz SR7001 and SR8001?

wuzzzer

When I was shopping for a new receiver I really had my heart set on a Marantz SR8001. After watching eBay for a while I found a great deal on an SR7001 and went with that. I always wished I would have stuck it out for an 8001. Not that there's anything wrong with my 7001, but the 8001 was the top of the line of the x001 series.

I've been noticing a few 8001s for sale recently and was wondering if it was worth it to get one. They usually sell for $475-550 on eBay. I should be able to get $400 + shipping for my 7001.

The main differences between the two is 125w/channel on the 8001 vs. 110w/channel on the 7001. The 8001 also has a toroidal power transformer. The 8001's chassis is copper-plated.

I realize that the power difference of 15w/channel is very minimal. Plus, since I use an external amp for my front mains my 7001 isn't really being pushed very hard since it only has to power my center and surounds.

My main curiosity is if things such as the DACs are better in the 8001. Marantz lists both as having 192kHz/24-Bit DACs.

Would something like a toroidal transformer and a copper-plated chassis be an audible difference that would make it worth it to upgrade to the 8001?

Hey Mark. I've never heard the 7001, so take it for what it's worth. But I've had the 7002 and it didn't hold a candle to my 8001. I've actually went through about every marantz reciever, with the exception of the 9600, and have found the 8001 to be the best bang for buck out there. The 8500 is right up there, but no HDMI, only DVI W/ 7.1 preouts. The 8001 was alot more dynamic and detailed than the 7002 and seemed like I had way more headroom, even though the power ratings were only 15 w/channel apart. I felt like I could comfortably crank up the 8001 and it never ran out of gas, unlike the 7002. If you can get $400 for your 7001, I'd say sell it and get the 8001 for $100-150 more. You will definatley notice a difference.

Wuzzer,

Here is one on C-list in Ft. Myers. Maybe you can see if BillH will check it out for you.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/ele/1692922311.html

Bill

Thanks, but that one was on eBay for $425 buy-it-now. The seller didn't have a remote for it and it looked pretty crammed in its location and very dirty.

i had one, didn't hate it at all. No issues supporting 1080p video and everything except the latest HD audio formats. As part of my efforts to scale back and make things easier I decided that support for the newest formats and a little less age on the receiver were in order. I did some shopping on CList and found someone willing to trade the Denon I have now. Not quite the "high end" of the Marantz with orginal msrp's being about $500 different. The combination of newer format support, networking capabilities, and opportunity made it an attractive deal for me ..no regrets. Nor would I have regretted holding onto the 8001.

I've not heard the 7001, so I can't provide any commentary on the audible differences. You certainly won't be disappointed in the 8001, but unless you can do it for near nothing out of pocket, I'm not sure it's a meaningful "upgrade".

I'm just glad you like Marantz...I own an SR18EX myself...Marantz finally cranked onto the HT market at home a few years ago and were solid players...my Reference piece may be close to 10 yrs old...but it cranked my Khorns by itself...and Hersey II's and KLFC7 centre with a Velodyne FSR18...for 5.1...no seperates here...

PS. mind you I plugged 3 Marantz MA700 mono blocks for my fronts in after 3 months.....wow....