Blu-ray to Cripple Component Video Outputs

Youthman

• Moderators

I just received the latest copy of Home Theater Magazine and was reading that "bluray players that are manufactured after 2010 will down-convert high-definition content to standard-definition resolution through their analog component video outputs....."The new AACS adopter agreement says that licensed players that are manufactured after December 31, 2010 must downconvert HD to SSD via component video. Existing models may be manufactured and sold till December 21, 2011, but those sold in between the two deadlines activate a periodic update that will limit analog video to SD...A further analog sunset is scheduled for December 31, 2013. After that date, no licensed player may pass any decryptedcontent to the analog outputs, whether that content is HD or SD".

All because HDMI is viewed as "secure" and component video has been deemed as "unsecure" to pass digital rights. That's going to stink for those people that use component video with their projection units. This is especially true if their cables are inside the walls etc.

Just thought I would share.

this issue has been talked about since the inception of HDMI, first they would limit analog content to 1080i, then 720p and now 480p. I think it's ridiculous for many reasons. I mean common if they were really that worried about secure content they would eliminate radio stations and broadcast television since it can so easily be pirated. HD DVR's will be the next thing to go, VCR's will become illegal and all content will be Video/Audio on demand.

this issue has been talked about

Yep

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/128019/1295078.aspx#1295078

My understanding is they are going to cattle drive the HD world to HDMI only. For people who have cables going 3' from sending unit to receiving unit, might not be a huge deal since you can swap cables easily.

I'm running cables through my ceiling, across the room so future upgradability might be an issue....so, in addition to TWO HDMI cables (45' each) I've run four runs of Cat 6 to the same location. Hopefully, this will protect me for as long as I'll need.

this issue has been talked about

Yep

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/128019/1295078.aspx#1295078

My understanding is they are going to cattle drive the HD world to HDMI only. For people who have cables going 3' from sending unit to receiving unit, might not be a huge deal since you can swap cables easily.

I'm running cables through my ceiling, across the room so future upgradability might be an issue....so, in addition to TWO HDMI cables (45' each) I've run four runs of Cat 6 to the same location. Hopefully, this will protect me for as long as I'll need.

Then the question one has to ask is what HDMI cables do I run because there is talk of HDMI 1.4 now, and who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Then the question one has to ask is what HDMI cables do I run because there is talk of HDMI 1.4 now, and who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Yep... I agree with Youthman.

I ran two HDMI's although I only expect to need one. You never know though!

I also ran FOUR runs of Cat 6 to the same box and left them in the wall for possible future use. How to describe how I left them... I ran them INTO a 4x4 box. I put the plastic wire clips in place on top of the box to hold them in place. I then punched out another knockout on the bottom of the box and pushed them on through the bottom of the box. They are now inside the box and if I ever need them, I pull the 10 inches of pigtail I strung through the bottom of the box and can do what I need to do (hopefully)

This is all under the logic of having a TV in this location. I'm anticipating putting a screen in so all of these will (hopefully) be a moot point.

Conduit will always be your friend however, these HDMI ends JUST BARELY fit through a 3/4" nockout with the wire gripper in there. (I don't know what the metal screw in pieces are called that act like a grommet for the wire with two screws to hold the wire snug)

I had to take the adjusting part of this piece off and the HDMI ends JUST fit through it. I had to give them some wiggle.

If I put a projector in here then I won't have to worry about these wires since the projector locatino will probably be available to me from inside the closet. That will simply mean the two HDMI and 4 Cat 6 wires are wasted effort/money.

Cheap insurance though! (to a degree)

...I've run four runs of Cat 6 to the same location. Hopefully, this will protect me for as long as I'll need.

Don't count on it. The closest Cat equivalent to HDMI cable is Cat 7, with shielded Cat 6 the runner-up. The pairs are shielded. This is necessary to reduce cross talk between the pairs, which is an important aspect affecting the performance of the cables for HDMI.

Sadly I think the industry is going to keep crippling us thinking sales will improve.

The latest talk is allowing set top boxes to selectively control outputs. They say the goal is to have current movies available to the home viewer, this is never going to happen unless they kill the movie theatre.

If that happens then you will see:

Watch Iron Man2:

• in stereo $29.99
  • in 3 channel $32.99
  • 5.1 $40
  • 6.1 $45
  • 7.1 $50
  • Unlocked with DVD sent in 30 days: $75

The closest Cat equivalent to HDMI cable is Cat 7, with shielded Cat 6 the runner-up.

This shows you how little I know... Here, I thought I was Mr. Cutting Edge putting Cat 6, the 'latest & greatest' in my room....having NO clue there was something even better.

Is there a Cat 10? lol how high up do they go? (My cat thinks she's a 10)