My DIY speaker stands

cavertom

I couldn't see paying 300 to 400 dollars for a pair of stands for my B-3's, so I made my own. They're 3/4 birch plywood, same width and depth as the B-3's and 31" tall, stained to match as best as I could. I used 20# of lead wright (scuba soft packs) in each stand. The wires run inside and out the bottom.

post-43954-13819583650256_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

really nice, without saying what they are; could be mistaken as flooring standing speakers from a distance.

That's exactly what I was thinking, very nice looking. [Y]

you showed yours, i'll show mine.

it's made out of African Mahogany hardwood. it has no screws or nails in it. all glue! i drew it up in Inventor (3D drafting program) and had all the pieces cut for me. unfortunately the guys who did it, at the very end decided to "help me." they cut dado's in the wood, but did it wrong. they didn't have enough depth and incorrect angles. i don't have a shop or much of any tools (at the time). i did almost all my work on the lid of my trash can and had only a block sander as my tools. i did end up buying some clamps, but that's about it. a buddy of mine had a miter and table saw so we cut the top and bottom accent pieces. that was a nightmare! for some reason i couldn't get any of the angles to match. took me a 2 weekends to do 2 stands. was fun, but defiantly need tools!

what irritated me the most is, the guy who cut all the pieces did an awesome job. at the very end (dado's) he had a fellow co-worker do them. that guy sucked. all the nice sharp edges of all the wood were somehow dulled. the dado's weren't cut at the same angles. i had to break these stands in the beginning to get the dado's out. i started using them not noticing they were not keeping the correct angels and when i had it half done (2 complete sides) i mated them together to get my fit, and they was over an 1" gap. yeah, had to set them down and stomp and break them apart. not fun.

anyways, here is the finished product.

post-23806-1381958367879_thumb.jpg

you showed yours, i'll show mine.

it's made out of African Mahogany hardwood. it has no screws or nails in it. all glue! i drew it up in Inventor (3D drafting program) and had all the pieces cut for me. unfortunately the guys who did it, at the very end decided to "help me." they cut dado's in the wood, but did it wrong. they didn't have enough depth and incorrect angles. i don't have a shop or much of any tools (at the time). i did almost all my work on the lid of my trash can and had only a block sander as my tools. i did end up buying some clamps, but that's about it. a buddy of mine had a miter and table saw so we cut the top and bottom accent pieces. that was a nightmare! for some reason i couldn't get any of the angles to match. took me a 2 weekends to do 2 stands. was fun, but defiantly need tools!

what irritated me the most is, the guy who cut all the pieces did an awesome job. at the very end (dado's) he had a fellow co-worker do them. that guy sucked. all the nice sharp edges of all the wood were somehow dulled. the dado's weren't cut at the same angles. i had to break these stands in the beginning to get the dado's out. i started using them not noticing they were not keeping the correct angels and when i had it half done (2 complete sides) i mated them together to get my fit, and they was over an 1" gap. yeah, had to set them down and stomp and break them apart. not fun.

anyways, here is the finished product.

Very nice work

thanks. took a while in cad to model them just right. i didn't want any of the stand to protrude past the speaker but wanted enough for a wire to run through the top plate. the speaker only sits on half that column. the sides are not equal. the front 3 widths are equal and then the sides a longer. so it's not a true octagon. it also had to be wide enough to support the speaker and not "teeter."