industrial la scala pair

ivorygarbage

i've wanted a pair of klipsch all mylife. i recently acquired a pair of la scalas with successive serial numbers 31Y454 & 31Y455. they are type LSBR, black industrials from 1986. inspected by Paul Pack & tested by Ricky Clark. can anyone tell me what i have and the value, etc... any info because i'm very curious about these. piano black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i've wanted a pair of klipsch all mylife. i recently acquired a pair of la scalas with successive serial numbers 31Y454 & 31Y455. they are type LSBR, black industrials from 1986. inspected by Paul Pack & tested by Ricky Clark. can anyone tell me what i have and the value, etc... any info because i'm very curious about these. piano black.

We need pictures of condition. That will also answer a few other determining factors.

Roger

1000590r.jpg

1000591u.jpg

1000595gv.jpg

1000592g.jpg

1000594q.jpg

1000577f.jpg

Those are LSITs,

Stands for LaScala Industrial Theatre version. Those never came with handles. The handles on them have been added. Those are worth $400 to $500 maybe and are the least desirable version of the pro LaScala. Those came out of a Theatre somewhere as evidenced by the routered rounded edges. Also, movie Theatre versions did not have handles or aluminum trim because of the fact that as theatre speakers, they would not need to be moved from venue to venue. Industrial Pro LaScalas with the handles and aluminum trim are worth more than what you have. Also, the made a split LaScala with the mid and high frequency horn in a seperate box from the Bass Bin. The split version is more valuable than the one piece, and of course the pro two piece with handles and aluminum trim is worth more than the two piece theatre version. There is yet an even more desirable version that has a black fiberglass laminate with the aluminum trim as well. The top of the line industrial two piece LaScalas with handles, trim and fiberglass are only worth about $1000 for a pair. I bought a single Pro one piece Theatre LaScala in as good a shape as your pair in full working order with orriginal drivers and no scabbed on hadles for $60 about 13 months ago, and I am picking up three of them this coming week for someone else for $600 for all three. Hope I didn't offend you, and they still sound good, but they bring considerably less then descent home versions.

Roger

I'm on an iphone so pretty much just winging this.

The tags say LSBR, and they have obviously been painted, letter Y is XXXXXXXXXX correction, Budman looked it up and it's 83ish.

Theater version lascala's have AL-3 xovers and the cast version K-43 woofer instead of the stamped steel frame version, and the composite mid horn.

I'm going to guess that these have k-33's in them.

I agree that you can buy LaScala's like these for 500 bucks.

The tags say LSBR, and they have obviously been painted, letter Y is XXXXXXXXXX correction, Budman looked it up and it's 83ish.

Theater version lascala's have AL-3 xovers and the cast version K-43 woofer instead of the stamped steel frame version, and the composite mid horn.

Speakerfritz,

It did not dawn on me that these are indeed home LaScalas that someone had routered the edges and spray painted home LaScalas as was done here. It certainly depends on the year, but I know for a fact that the Theatre Lascala I bought has an aluminum K-400 as well as the three I am picking up. I will check into the K-43E woofer issue on all 4 of them, cast vs: stanped steel.

Roger

Now I have news for all of you experts. I put this on here just to see what kind of answers i would get back and see how legit and knowledgable this forum was.These were made by Klipsch in 86 for our band. They come just like you see them. The corners were rounded and the handles were installed as shown. And yes they were black. We got the bright idea to strip ,them and refinish the birch one time to use in the house. The birch wood grain goes in all different directions unlike a show pair made for your living room and they were made with blem left over wood (ends). A lot of wood putty in many places including a one and one half inch strip across the top of one speaker where the veneer had been pulled offand it had just been filled with wood putty sanded down and painted black. We have used them for many years and they still sound great. And yes they have the 33's in them. -Rascal

Now I have news for all of you experts. I put this on here just to see what kind of answers i would get back and see how legit and knowledgable this forum was.These were made by Klipsch in 86 for our band. They come just like you see them. The corners were rounded and the handles were installed as shown. And yes they were black. We got the bright idea to strip ,them and refinish the birch one time to use in the house. The birch wood grain goes in all different directions unlike a show pair made for your living room and they were made with blem left over wood (ends). A lot of wood putty in many places including a one and one half inch strip across the top of one speaker where the veneer had been pulled offand it had just been filled with wood putty sanded down and painted black. We have used them for many years and they still sound great. And yes they have the 33's in them.

ivorygarbage,

Show us pictures of the other one.

There are Klipsch employees that come on here that may be able to verify the as delivered order, but I for one will call [bs] on this, and ask you to produce a build order. I would like to know why Klipsch would have used non factory hardware handles, and hardware that obviously looks like a very poorly capable home instalation, not to mention that from the looks of the screws, that it appears in the picture that the handles were not even installed the same height. That is NOT a factory Klipsch tweeter, or factory Klipsch wire going to it either! I am sure that they do in fact sound good, but that does not change the FACT that they are not worth more than $400 to $500 in the condition shown, nor that I have bought similar or better condition for far less. If you want to be a smart ***, that is my job here, but my mom always said that if you are good at something, stick with it. That does not change the fact that I presently own more pro Klipsch gear than you and your band will in your entire lives, and that is well documented here on the forum.

Roger

Thank everybody very much for your input. One of the members offered me $1k for them and they are no longer available. -Rascal

I think that is a bold faced lie, just as your statement as to the orriginal condition of these speakers, but the again, there is what PT Barnum said isn't there?

Roger

i've wanted a pair of klipsch all mylife. i recently acquired a pair of la scalas with successive serial numbers 31Y454 & 31Y455. they are type LSBR,

LSBR doesn't that identify them as LaScala Birch Raw meaning the black would've been added? Could've been added by a Klipsch dealer I suppose but wouldn't black from the factory have been labeled LSBB?

1000577f.jpg

To my eyes the label looks like the black was applied after the label and not before?

So why did you selll them or claim to if you wanted a pair all your life? Just keep them and enjoy them.

Thank everybody very much for your input. One of the members offered me $1k for them and they are no longer available. -Rascal

I think that is a bold faced lie, just as your statement as to the orriginal condition of these speakers, but the again, there is what PT Barnum said isn't there?

Roger

Notice Roger that ivorygarbage signed as Rascal. Maybe it's just someone trying to pull our collective legs?

Why would a forum member offer to buy your speakers when you never said they were for sale? Especially 1K. I'll call [bs] as well.

"The top of the line industrial two piece LaScalas with handles, trim and fiberglass are only worth about $1000 for a pair."

Even with the price reductions of late, I still say that LSI splits garner $250 per box ($1000 per pair of matching LF/HF cabinets) in working condition, good clean ones with trim and black glass considerably more. I've still seen these going for $1400-$1500 per set.

One key to the story is that the label is painted. If Klipsch painted the cabinets at the factory (never mind the obviously amateur handle install and the fact that there is no jack plate on the supposed 'industrial' speaker), they would have painted before applying the identifying decal. They did this in every instance of painted, stained, or lacquered LS that left the factory.

Even with the price reductions of late, I still say that LSI splits garner $250 per box ($1000 per pair of matching LF/HF cabinets) in working condition, good clean ones with trim and black glass considerably more. I've still seen these going for $1400-$1500 per set.

Where is the black glass on the LSIs?

Where is the black glass on the LSIs?

Standard LSIs have the flat black splattered / bumpy paint on them. Klipsh had an option where they layed fiberglass laminate on the speaker. It made the speaker more water resistant and tougher to gouge. If you have a pair with the black fiberglass, it will be obvious that they have black fiberglass on them.

Roger

I took the word glass literally, not linking it to fiber glass. Thanks.

Does anyone have a good pic of the indented area on the bass bin where the red and black connections are and where the bass bin can be gripped to pick up? I have two tops and will probably build two bass bins. Also, I understand that the aluminum corner protectors for the angled top portions are not available. Is there a possible market for these should they be recreated. My tops did not come with them. I suspect they never had them as they were rounded and I didn't see any holes where screws would have held aluminum in place.

speakerfritz,

I just got back from Baltimore maryland where I picked up two more TSCM top sections, and three more Theatre LSIs out of the same Theatre. All three LaScalas are 1985s, all three have factory Klipsh handles, all three have protective trim at the dog house fold that is in the center mouth of the Bass Bin, but all other surfaces are routered and never had trim. All three have AL networks, not AL-3, all three have stamped steel K-43E drivers, all three have rectangular ceramic magnet K-77s, all three have the aluminum K-400 horn, and all three have K55-M midrange drivers, all factory solder joints are intact, so that is contrary to your post.

Roger

speakerfritz,

I just got back from Baltimore maryland where I picked up two more TSCM top sections, and three more Theatre LSIs out of the same Theatre. All three LaScalas are 1985s, all three have factory Klipsh handles, all three have protective trim at the dog house fold that is in the center mouth of the Bass Bin, but all other surfaces are routered and never had trim. All three have AL networks, not AL-3, all three have stamped steel K-43E drivers, all three have rectangular ceramic magnet K-77s, all three have the aluminum K-400 horn, and all three have K55-M midrange drivers, all factory solder joints are intact, so that is contrary to your post.

Roger