How many people here have wireless at home (for music) ?

dtel

• Moderators

I was looking at the new Blu-ray players and found some who also have built in wireless. This could solve a couple of problems and make your audio setup very handy.

The ones I was looking at lets you connect to Netflix instant movies and the big part for me was also Internet radio like Pandora and others.

I have always wanted to connect my TV and audio to internet radio without the expense of a laptop or some of the other expensive ways to do it, and it's a Blu-ray player at the same time.

I was originally looking at Oppo players and there two players are $289 and $499 for the better model. I notice they had a optional " wireless bridge" for $79. I then started looking around and found what the reviews say are good DVD players with built in wireless already setup for doing this at a much cheaper price $250.

This is one I was looking at from Samsung, but there are many company's doing the same thing at prices cheaper then Oppo.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray/blu-ray-players/BD-C6500/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

One of the reviews I was looking at was from CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/samsung-bd-c6500/4505-9991_7-33971080.html

Does anyone have any experience with any brand player that does wireless, I am especially interested in the internet radio part, and the Blu-ray part of course.

I already have satellite radio, Serious radio that is included with the Tv service but the sound quality is not so great and there are only a few channels I like, where internet, even the free stations are almost unlimited and appear to be much better quality. It also let's you play anything you have on your computer, it would then be worth having and storing music on your computer and have it easily ready to play at any time.

I know there were ways to do all of this before, but my computer and wired connection was to far away for a wire and not cheap to do without a wire, we have wireless but to connect cheaply was the problem, plus I would be able to play Blu-ray movies.

Although I have not had any Blu Ray player with such features, I would suggest from experience that if you want the wireless functionality, get one with the built in wireless, rather than using a wireless bridge. In general, I have found the additional peice of hadware to be cumbersome and also usually lacking in performance. I have used a linksys and a d-link bridge, and have since sold both of them, even though they would have been handy at some point, they were usually not worth the effort.

I have recently discovered that my kids Wii will act as a wireless connection to the internet. Youtube videos work pretty good on it, though the Opera style operating system has a little to be desired.

As far as using my hard drive as a music server for my computer, I have used ORB with some sucess, though it is rather time consuming to link the music that you want to transmit over the internet to the Wii.

I wish there was a direct link to the Wii, like the Dell program that shares my laptop and desktop.

dtel,

I think you'd be best served by acquiring a PS3. The PS3 will allow you to access a wireless signal so you can stream music, movies and pics from your PC. The PS3 has a hard drive, so you can copy your music, photos and movies to it and make playlists. You can even plug a Thumb Drive into one of the front USB ports and copy files to the hard drive. You also have Blu-Ray capability of course and you can buy the $20 Bluetooth remote for better control.

Perhaps the greatest feature is the ability to download firmware updates via wireless. Sony is expected to release a firmware update this summer that will provide 3D Blu-ray capability to PS3. Also, the PS3 does have access to Netflix in its menu system, though I'm not sure about internet radio.

I've had my PS3 since 2007 and am glad I sprung for it. The only thing you might hear to dissuade you from buying a PS3 is it's ability to output TrueHD and DTS-HD to your receiver. It first decodes these formats and then outputs the data to the AVR, as opposed to letting the AVR do the decoding. The end result, from what I've researched, is the same http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd-101-how-to-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-your-ps3/.

- Joe

• Moderators

I see I have alot more reading to do.

The reason I thought about the wireless part was I wouldn't tie up one of the computers. I don't think I could use a wire because it would be about a 60'-70' wire if it can even be run where I have to get to.

One big reason for this was Internet radio, I put Pandora on my wife's computer in her sewing room and I really like the way it suggest songs that are like what you put in and helps you find new music. I don't have alot of music and have a hard time trying to find what I would like. We have wireless already and this computer I am on is wired, but the one in the sewing room and two other laptops are not and they all work fine plus this computer is in the same general open space (kitchen) as the living room so it would be a straight shot for wireless with no walls to even go through.

I guess I need to read more, I had originally thought about the PS3 because my Grandson could also use the game although he has a couple already in his room, just not a PS3 he has an X box and PS2.

It's not like I was ready to buy right now so I can read about it more before I decide.

The reason I thought about the wireless part was I wouldn't tie up one of the computers. I don't think I could use a wire because it would be about a 60'-70' wire if it can even be run where I have to get to.

CAT5 can easily do 300 ft...running it may be a huge pain depending on your house and setup, but do not let the length of the cable be that determining factor...if you need a 100 ft cable, let me know...it can be on its way for just the cost of shipping.

• Moderators

OK, glad to know the length won't be a problem, but it would be really hard to run because part of the roof has no attic for 18'. If I have too I could always run it around the addition and in through the outside wall like the satellite wire.

I may eventually try something wireless, I want the Internet radio and Blu-ray and the Grandson wants a PS3, I have a feeling which way it will go even thoough the PS3 is $50 more ! [8-)]